• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jeans help needed

DaveDr89

Reaction score
All,
I've learned a lot by following the men's clothing section of SF but have not spent too much time following streetware and denim. Although I feel relatively confident buying suits, shoes, shirts, and ties, I can't say the same for jeans. In fact, I own only 1 pair of old Nautica jeans that are somewhat baggy. I'm going on a trip soon and would like to pick up a pair of jeans but don't have too much time for shopping or reading up. If my store options are Nordstrums and Macys and say I have a budget up to $150, what would be my best bet and what should I be careful about so as to not throw my money away? I've looked at some old threads here but they are too detailed for my quick fix that I need. Any advice appreciated? I live in Miami so there are other store options but I'm somewhat pressed for time.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
first off any of the popular mall brands, ie "diesel, 7fam, r&r, true religion, etc"

These are all going to be a waste of your money, they are overpriced garbage

It may be better for you to figure out what kind of fit you want relative to your body type, and then have the people here recommend a few different pairs here that you can order online and most likely get the correct fit (providing you give us your correct measurements).

Macys and Nordstrom you aren't really going to find anything but "crap" i imagine...

DaveDr89

Reaction score
thanks ... I'm about a 32-33 waist and 30 length ... relatively athletic build at 5'9" and 175 lbs ... RE fit looking for something comfortable but not too baggy ... would prefer to buy in store since I'd like to get it before a trip next week ... I live in Miami so I suppose many other stores are options ... any suggestions if I'm to avoid Macys and Nordstrums?

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
if u are pressed for time I'd say try ordering jeans from cultizm. It takes no more than 3 days from Germany to your doors. Not many retailers here in the US can even match that. Yeh but what he said, tell us ur body type, what ur looking for and we can go from there

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
oh yeh SelfEdge is pretty fast shipping too. I think for you you'd like the Straight Sven. SE might have some in ur size, not sure

DaveDr89

Reaction score
RE my body type, my body type is relatively athletic, so I'd like them to not be too tight in the thigh area ... RE what I'm looking for, I'm not exactly sure, but at least something that isn't too tight and I don't want to buy something that later I find out was a big waste of money ... any other suggestions from SE besides the Nudies? RE the Nudie Straight Seven, it looks good but I'm not too crazy about the design on the back pockets ...

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail
You want something straight-legged and not tight?

Not all tapered legged jeans are tight.
tounge.gif

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barney's Coop in Miami Beach is probably a good bet. I happen to think, though, that if you find a fit/wash to your liking Diesel is great. Also, considering the weather in Miami, a thinner jean like 7s aren't bad at all. I'm in the minority here, though, as I happen to think that they're perfectly fine. If at Barney's, Earnest Sewn could fit the bill as well.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
Not all tapered legged jeans are tight.
tounge.gif

The guy is used to baggy Nautica jeans... RB17s to him must be skin-tight.

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
If at Barney's, Earnest Sewn could fit the bill as well.
Bloomingdale's has Earnest Sewn too. Closest one for you is in The Falls Mall. I think if you're transitioning into nicer denim from something like Nautica and you don't want to deal with breaking in raw denim, Earnest Sewn is a good bet. Otherwise, definitely call up Denim Bar or Self Edge.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
okay, I'll check out Barneys as it looks like they have a wide selection ... e.g., R&B, Earnest Sewn, 7, Citizen .... any rec's on the options available there? Other comments on 7's?

I'll also call up the online options but I'm a bit worried about getting the right fit, although it would be nice to get the SF discount from these options

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads