• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Christensen" tie knot rediscovered

Aureus

Reaction score
I wish I had a digital camera... as I've managed to pretty much exactly duplicate the picture with a very thin tie that widens very slowly. Well mine doesn't manage to get quite a pronounced cross, but its there on the top and bottom.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i actually got a pretty much perfect reproduction of the drawing...now i have to wait for a darn digi cam.

otterhound

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
legally speaking, i think you're infringing on "the walmart manager" knot.
Hilarious!
crackup[1].gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
J, I'd try the gordian, but I'm worried that I would never get it _untied_. Then I would perpetually look like a Walmart manager.
You don't untie it--you cut it off with a sword!

glen_quagmire

Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old.

Would you wear this knot to an interview? Or is it too much and a "classic" knot would be better?

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why on earth would you want to wear this knot to an interview? Stick to a classic. You can go all crazy with a Christensen after you get the job.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Unless you're interviewing for the position of catalogue printer at the Swedish firm of Stralin and Persson, I think it best to stick to a half Windsor for the interview.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
J, I'd try the gordian, but I'm worried that I would never get it _untied_. Then I would perpetually look like a Walmart manager.

Originally Posted by AlanC
You don't untie it--you cut it off with a sword!

Collectively, I believe the two of you are infringing on an Eric Glennie patent.

eric glennie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Collectively, I believe the two of you are infringing on an Eric Glennie patent.

Looks like I have made an impact , and some of you recognize the Eric Glennie style. I believe Every designer should have a signature tieknot . I will crank the Quiet Riot this weekend see what I can come up with. You guys are good to me and deserve a little style and a cool looking tie knot.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
There may be one problem. Some unknowing folk may think you don't know how to tie your tie.

+1 I've always liked this knot but always wondered about this.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried this knot on many occasions - it's a bit difficult to make, but if done correctly, very few people, including most members here, would notice the difference between the Christensen and a "classic" knot. I wouldn't have any qualms about wearing it to an interview.

It's like the old questions about wearing pocket squares and cufflinks to interviews; nobody would notice, unless they have more than an average interest in clothes, in which case the pocket square/cufflinks/unusual knot would probably be a plus.

On the other hand, life is full of better opportunities for taking sartorial chances, I suppose.

eric glennie

Reaction score
Unless I incorrectly tied the Christensen, it is one of the easiest ties to knot. I think the chap that drew up the diagram of the knot was playing a joke because the Christensen is impossible to knot from the diagram. I posted one on my website www.ericglennie.com under sport collars. I used a spliced necktie to accentuate the knuckling in the knot.

I would post a photo but cant at this time.

glen_quagmire

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric glennie
Unless I incorrectly tied the Christensen, it is one of the easiest ties to knot. I think the chap that drew up the diagram of the knot was playing a joke because the Christensen is impossible to knot from the diagram. I posted one on my website www.ericglennie.com under sport collars. I used a spliced necktie to accentuate the knuckling in the knot.

I would post a photo but cant at this time.

mine looks the same. I also think it is very easy to knot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads