• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys want in a trench coat?

vvoc

Reaction score
br539214-00vliv01.jpg
this is a great style and length i think....maybe a bit slimmer and diff color though...its from br..what ya think?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Countertenor
It's like you guys enjoy getting wet...
confused.gif

I enjoy living in a tropical rain forest. You?
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
For my part, thighs and knees aren't particularly a problem when it's raining. It's the lower leg/shins. And unless we're talking about a full-length duster, nothing's gonna help with that.
+1,000. Bingo.
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
Just as a rough guess, I think we are talking about $200-$250...
Sorry, lads. Whodini(registered trademark pending) needs his slice, too.

Still, $200 ballpark is a very reasonable price. FWIW, the photo I snagged was from YesStyle. Their price: $292...
http://www.yesstyle.com/en/Product.aspx?pid=1005053486&

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like the idea of this, but shorter than knee length is pretty damn girly looking to me. That first pic posted looked too short. (Not to mention that the rear view is sort of D-squared lewd with the guy's ass trying to peek out)

Luckily for me a shortish regular trench hits me at the knees, which IMO is pretty decent, but that's only because I have overly long legs. I think a perfect length would be just above or at the knee. It won't look stupid in a few years when the short trench trend dies off.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Luckily for me a shortish regular trench hits me at the knees, which IMO is pretty decent, but that's only because I have overly long legs. I think a perfect length would be just above or at the knee. It won't look stupid in a few years when the short trench trend dies off.
I agree with this sentiment. Knee length++

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I like the idea of this, but shorter than knee length is pretty damn girly looking to me. That first pic posted looked too short. (Not to mention that the rear view is sort of D-squared lewd with the guy's ass trying to peek out) Luckily for me a shortish regular trench hits me at the knees, which IMO is pretty decent, but that's only because I have overly long legs. I think a perfect length would be just above or at the knee. It won't look stupid in a few years when the short trench trend dies off.
Bah. The difference between mid-thigh to knee is what, 6-8"? Is it really too high? If Krell's name was really Barbour then I'd have no problem with a regular length. I would think a majority of those on SW&D (and most of his client base) are looking for a different take on something traditional. That and I've always associated longer trenches with being too detective-ish. I'm also pissed at what this forum's come to. 4 pages into a trench coat thread with all this talk about waterproofing and not ONE person has made a "It's Raining Men" joke. It's like this place has been taken over by commies, I tell ya.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Yeah, full-length trenches seem costume-y to me, actually. It would have to be cut quite slim to banish the Casablanca association. Not that that's bad. Ideally, I would love a DB trench cut very slim, both through the body and in the arms. In that case, I could deal with it being a bit longer.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off color. Black, navy, charcoal gray, or light gray. Slightly above the knee, double breasted.

It also needs to be able to read me bedtime stories.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
vfhmpreview010ay5.jpg

This one looks almost right to me. I'm not talking a long coat... keep in mind that a coat like this should have a vent (esp. if it's slim), and one that's only mid thigh will either have a tiny vent or risk exposing your assets. The belt, if you use it, will also add to the hourglass shape of the coat and if the skirt isn't long enough it will flare open, and you'll look like a girl. Just sayin is all.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I like the idea of this, but shorter than knee length is pretty damn girly looking to me. That first pic posted looked too short. (Not to mention that the rear view is sort of D-squared lewd with the guy's ass trying to peek out)

Jackpot, finally somebody who understands trenches.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the original classic Burberry Khaki Gabardine Trenchcoat or the trenchcoat that Alain Delon wore in Le Samourai which is very close to the original.

moonvisage

Reaction score
Personally,i would like to see a trenchcoat,male designed,made of 100% cotton.the collars,lapels and storm patches/flaps with sharp corners ( not the rounded feminine unisex style of burberry ).It would have two storm patches/flaps,one on each side on the upper chest.the belt and sleeve loops would have metal holes,rather than simply left as the usual cotton,reinforced by cotton thread.storm patch/flap belting on the sides of the collar with metal rivets in the holes.reinforced collar to ensure the collar stays solid when up.
If you designed a trenchcoat,very similar to the double breasted,double storm patched/flapped trenchcoat humphrey bogart wore in casablanca,you would be the most sought after trenchcoat designer around.
I have a double breasted trenchcoat made of GRENFELL cloth,made by HAYTHORNTHWAITE & SONS LTD.I also have a burberry double breasted trenchcoat made of cotton and polyester.the inside lining on the GRENFELL cloth trenchcoat,is more superior that the entire outer shell of the burberry trenchcoat.since GRENFELL cloth is so difficult to get hold of now,the next best thing would really be 100% cotton,with a thick cotton lining.length wise,i would design it to be below the knees.
When i personally get a trenchcoat,i usually get a size or two above what i would normally wear.i am 38 chest,and i get then in 40,42 or even 44,depending on the fit.It means,most of my lower legs are protected and the upper body has enough space for me to wear suits under it,fidget about and captures more air inside to keep me warm ( when belted of course ).I like wearing my trenchcoats as they were originally designed to be worn,to protect the upper body and as much of the upper and lower legs as possible from rain.
Good luck with whatever design you choose,and i wish you all the best with it.
smile.gif

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vvoc
br539214-00vliv01.jpg

this is a great style and length i think....maybe a bit slimmer and diff color though...its from br..what ya think?

A trenchcoat wannabe.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/3...view010ay5.jpg

This one looks almost right to me. I'm not talking a long coat... keep in mind that a coat like this should have a vent (esp. if it's slim), and one that's only mid thigh will either have a tiny vent or risk exposing your assets. The belt, if you use it, will also add to the hourglass shape of the coat and if the skirt isn't long enough it will flare open, and you'll look like a girl. Just sayin is all.

Excellent point, J.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics