• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys want in a trench coat?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ totally, I want a smart looking coat that'll keep me dry when I'm swimming

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IDK whether or not this is true but I read that trenchcoats are more for light rain...they really arnt water resistant...mac coats on the other hand are made for a downpour

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
IDK whether or not this is true but I read that trenchcoats are more for light rain...they really arnt water resistant...mac coats on the other hand are made for a downpour

yea I think that's right...Baracuta harrington fabric serves a similar purpose, coated for light drizzle

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
The LA contingent* needs to stay out of the waterproofing debates. You bastards.

*Big Al doesn't count as part of the LA contingent for the purposes of this thread due to obvious extenuating circumstances.

Countertenor

Reaction score
I'm kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on the YMC Mac (now that my size seems to have fallen off the face of the earth), part of which can be seen on the front page of New Dandyism (but is no longer available on that site). So something like that might be nice, as long as it's slim and water-resistant. A check pattern would be good. And I might like something a liiiiiitle bit longer, so as to help deflect a downpour away from the knees.

Countertenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan

Yeah, it seems that we are asking for a Mac, which sounds good to me.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well Mac coats are made differently than trench coats and that is why Mac coats are more water resistant. I think there is a rubber layer between the layers of fabric. This makes it more water proof or resistant...

I guess you could build a trench in that way....

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys are describing my trench.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Sounds like you guys are describing my trench.

sounds like theyre describing the three i own...

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So it looks like everyone just wants a classic trench, cut slim, and somewhat short. To add, I'd also like to see a caped back, similar to one in who's picture, but much simpler and plain.

I also would not like to see full waxed cotton version (that's a lot of wax!) Barbour's doing one for F/W08 anways.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd also like to see a single breasted trench, one that's actually well done and very slim fitting and a bit more on the cropped side. I'm not saying no to a classic double breasted one, but somewhere along the line an SB would be nice.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
What would be a good price for this trench, given MJKs pricing on his other stuff, which I have no idea what his gear costs.

Countertenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
So it looks like everyone just wants a classic trench, cut slim, and somewhat short. To add, I'd also like to see a caped back, similar to one in who's picture, but much simpler and plain.

I also would not like to see full waxed cotton version (that's a lot of wax!) Barbour's doing one for F/W08 anways.

I think that if we are talking about something that would be good for wearing in the rain (i.e. protect our clothing underneath), then we should really think about something a bit longer than mid-thigh. Trouser thighs/knees always seem to attract rain, which sucks when you have to sit down once you're indoors.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Countertenor
I think that if we are talking about something that would be good for wearing in the rain (i.e. protect our clothing underneath), then we should really think about something a bit longer than mid-thigh. Trouser thighs/knees always seem to attract rain, which sucks when you have to sit down once you're indoors.

Yea...its more style than function to shorten it...

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waterproofing is a deal maker/breaker.
I'm with the short/cropped people. Dark grey or navy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads