• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys want in a trench coat?

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are planning to do a trench that would be released in and around early April, and were wondering what features you guys would want in a trench. Fabric, length, vents, etc

We will take your recommendations under advisement
smile.gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
This may sound insane but how about fabric that's water-resistent? I've always thought they were worn/designed to do just that but a lot of the trenches available that aren't grandfather-cut are only meant for looks. It'd make sense to make it functional and that's exactly why I haven't purchased a coat thus far. Mid-thigh length. Steel-grey. Everything else would be gravy. I'm not saying I want a COPY of this particular trench but the cut and details (except for the hood) are similar to what I'm looking for. I could probably go for something a bit more simplified:
jk293-f14.jpg
jk293-f13.jpg

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want a nice class cotton gabardine khaki trench in good fabric and cut without having to pay 2k for one from Dior or Prorsum. If you can deliver I shall worship you.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
* Heavy cotton
* Mid thigh length
* Double breasted
* Belt that works
* Two outside pockets at the waist area
* One chest pocket on the inside of the coat, that you can easily slip your hand into even if the trench is buttoned up
* Epaulette straps
* Horn or wood buttons
* Pleated vent in the rear, which you can close with a button or snap
* Nice, reinforced collar that can stand up in the wind (a shawl collar would be awesome to)
* Gun flap
* Straps on the sleeves to tighten them

Usual Trench Colors - Khaki, Navy, Grey, Black

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Another for robin's suggestions, and I'm with whodini on color.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Pretty much what robin said. The Cloak trench I own is in my eye the best trench design I've ever seen. There are additional details like convertible sleeves (either pointed or traditional and a way to fully button the collar while it is standing that are just gravy. I think slim sleeves are an absolute must.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
a darker steel-grey would rule

black or tan wouldnt interest me so much

and a metal buckle

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

black or tan wouldnt interest me so much

agreed
steel grey goes /w everything
you can wear black, blue, brown, white, red, any color really will a steel grey, black/tan is too limiting

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I think slim sleeves are an absolute must.

Hell yes.

Originally Posted by Get Smart

I think a mid or light gray like the color in the pic Big Al posted would be great--you could wear it with black and still have noticeable contrast, and it would still look amazing with browns, especially burgundy shades.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think people have the design nailed - pea-coat length, double breasted, etc. I want to reiterate Who's suggestion of water-proofing. I have an EG trench that easily soaks through (WTF?). I like the steel grey color idea, but the options of black or tan would be appreciated.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
* Heavy cotton * Mid thigh length * Double breasted * Belt that works * Two outside pockets at the waist area * One chest pocket on the inside of the coat, that you can easily slip your hand into even if the trench is buttoned up * Epaulette straps * Horn or wood buttons * Pleated vent in the rear, which you can close with a button or snap * Nice, reinforced collar that can stand up in the wind (a shawl collar would be awesome to) * Gun flap * Straps on the sleeves to tighten them Usual Trench Colors - Khaki, Navy, Grey, Black
couldn't have summed it any better! although i would prefer a waxed cotton, or just in a synthetic fabric that's waterproof (+1 for who's idea). the epaulettes though, make sure they're not too gaudy/flashy/stand up too much, a lot of epaulettes i see these days scream "look at me!"

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
agreed
steel grey goes /w everything
you can wear black, blue, brown, white, red, any color really will a steel grey, black/tan is too limiting

Exactly.
Originally Posted by Baron
I want to reiterate Who's suggestion of water-proofing. I have an EG trench that easily soaks through (WTF?).
Yeah, this detail would really be make or break for me. I have plenty of good looking coats. Let me add a good looking coat I can actually wear near water.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
the epaulettes though, make sure they're not too gaudy/flashy/stand up too much, a lot of epaulettes i see these days scream "look at me!"

How the hell will people know my rank?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads