• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butazi
One is a 34S and another is a 38S. DO the sizes often reflect the chest size? (like 34S = 34 inch chest?) Because the 38S has a 42" chest area, and I measured my chest and it's 38" at best (37.5 average).

remember, if your chest measures 38 inches, the jacket measurement has to be bigger than that to fit over your chest. Most of the time, the chest measurement of a jacket is the measurement of the outside of the jacket. So it should be bigger unless you are going for a straitjacket look.

it seems in this case the 38S will fit you. the 34S seems like it will be too tight. it's possible the 36S might fit you, if you like a fitted look.

Butazi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
remember, if your chest measures 38 inches, the jacket measurement has to be bigger than that to fit over your chest. Most of the time, the chest measurement of a jacket is the measurement of the outside of the jacket. So it should be bigger unless you are going for a straitjacket look.

it seems in this case the 38S will fit you. the 34S seems like it will be too tight. it's possible the 36S might fit you, if you like a fitted look.

Thanks, it just took me a long time to find those two pea coats (that I like) and I'll try to find a 36S if possible. The only reason why the 38S looks more interesting too (even if it's a little big) is that I do plan on bulking up a tad bit once I get to 9% body fat (about 2-3 weeks at the rate I'm losing weight/body fat) and I'd figure my chest could gain a couple of inches at most before I would tone everything up.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butazi
Thanks, it just took me a long time to find those two pea coats (that I like) and I'll try to find a 36S if possible. The only reason why the 38S looks more interesting too (even if it's a little big) is that I do plan on bulking up a tad bit once I get to 9% body fat (about 2-3 weeks at the rate I'm losing weight/body fat) and I'd figure my chest could gain a couple of inches at most before I would tone everything up.

I'd recommend getting the 38S if you plan to do any layering at all. Also keep in mind that most peacoats are made of THICK wool which width probably account for 1 inch of the extra 4-5 inches you mention.

I remember reading someone's post in MC on getting his peacoat slimmed. It sounds quite simple actually; you just need to have a tailor move the buttons. As such, the most important measurements should be shoulder width and sleeve length, in that order. The 34S, for example, would not fit you in the shoulder at all.

headtotoe

Reaction score
Samurai vs. KMW? - for $300 I want the best built denim, black. Minimal fade - thanks

gforce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by headtotoe
Samurai vs. KMW? - for $300 I want the best built denim, black. Minimal fade - thanks
KMW/Context 1980

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

headtotoe

Reaction score
yeah those Iron Hearts are looking great. When Self Edge restocks the 634s I think I'll go for those. For black I'll prolly get the the KMW\\Context due to both warp&weft black. Thanks dudes.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by headtotoe
yeah those Iron Hearts are looking great. When Self Edge restocks the 634s I think I'll go for those. For black I'll prolly get the the KMW\\Context due to both warp&weft black. Thanks dudes.

Good choice. You can't go wrong with any of the options, though I like the fit of the KMWs more than Sammies in general.

JBlue

Reaction score
Anyone know online stores in the US that have online coupons for customers in CANADA?

Or even coupons in gerernal that apply for Canadians.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBlue
Anyone know online stores in the US that have online coupons for customers in CANADA?

Or even coupons in gerernal that apply for Canadians.

I thought that all of the affiliates at the top of this page extended their SF discounts to customers worldwide. I guess you are looking to spend your newly valuable loonies, huh? You're already getting a discount compared to 3 years ago. You know we are starving down here, don't you? Anyways, when I worked in Victoria I had no problem getting discount codes or coupons to work for me (including Revolve, Bluefly, ActiveEndeavors and a few of the aforementioned affiliates). What store is it that you are having trouble with?

JOA

Reaction score
Total Noob here, but...I"m ready to buy my first pair of "good" denim. I only own two pair of jeans and both are Levis STF, size 35x36 (to accomodate shrinking). My true waist is a 34.

I've pretty much settled on buying either the APC NS or the Rescue. Should I buy them in a 34 or go down to a 33 (this seems to be what I read on most APC posts)? Or, does it depend based on which style I decide on? The NS is the closest comparison to the 501, correct? If so, this is what I'm looking for.

Thanks, guys.

COKE CAN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JOA
Total Noob here, but...I"m ready to buy my first pair of "good" denim. I only own two pair of jeans and both are Levis STF, size 35x36 (to accomodate shrinking). My true waist is a 34.

I've pretty much settled on buying either the APC NS or the Rescue. Should I buy them in a 34 or go down to a 33 (this seems to be what I read on most APC posts)? Or, does it depend based on which style I decide on? The NS is the closest comparison to the 501, correct? If so, this is what I'm looking for.

Thanks, guys.

I'm a 34 and purchased Rescues in 33. Still waiting on them though.

butchhuskey

Reaction score
I've just started entering the workplace and I need a pair of shoes, probably black as it's the most versatile. What's a good starter shoe? I'm completely new to this and I'd appreciate any help. I kinda like Bostonian Freemonts and Provos as the wingtip style appeals to me. Also, it seems as if some shoes such as oxfords seem to form upwards on the top of the foot. What style of shoes seem to stay relatively flat on top with little grade as it moves towards the leg? Thanks.

yamazs

Reaction score
So I am thinking of buying a pair of shoes for when I want to dress up a pair of jeans when going out to the bars. When people ask what premium denim they should start with the unanimous response are APCs, STFs or whatever... what would be the equivelant "STARTER" dress shoe. One that is versatile enough to be casual yet classy (leaning towards classy). Im looking for something not too dark and not a loafer. Im in college so my budget is limited. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads