• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fake ray-ban aviators

randomtw

Reaction score
There probably exists fake ray-ban aviators, but is there anything wrong with the quality? I'm just looking for some on ebay for about $20 or less.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Don't expect the quality of the original, but they should hold up well if you take care of them. A friend of mine has quite a collection of fake designer sunglasses. After years, they're still holding quite well. If the price is good, go for it.

randomtw

Reaction score
Do the lenses of the fake sunglasses actually do anything? Will they actually protect your eyes from sunlight?

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomtw
Do the lenses of the fake sunglasses actually do anything? Will they actually protect your eyes from sunlight?
Well they are going to be as crappy as you can get. I personally had 2 pairs of fake Oakleys when I was a kid and the logos melted within 3 days on each pair, so I threw them away. My friend bought a fake pair of D&G sunglasses and the logo came off the side and the hinge broke. I would also say you're better off buying plastic frames than metal frames, as they use really ****** metal and they bend easily. Over all you're going to get pretty ****** sunglasses, but if you take (really) good care of them then they shouldn't break too quickly.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a health caution for fake sunglasses - some (probably most) of them may not have UV protection!

what they do is just darken the glass, without the polarization/UV blocking. when you just darken the glass, your pupils dilate, and MORE UV light gets into your eyes, which can cause cataracts, decreased vision, and other eye problems later on.

i'm not saying that all fakes are like this, but can you really trust a fake sunglass brand to spend the extra time and money to polarize their lenses as well?

randomtw

Reaction score
I'm also thinking about visiting thrift stores just to check out some aviators, any tips on how to differentiate between fake ones?

I don't see a point of spending lots of money on sunglasses since I'm fairly young and my style changes constantly.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the aviator will never go out of style. You can buy one pair and have them for a pretty long time. I've had Rayban aviators for four years and have not had a problem.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
What's the buy&sell/supermarket/ebay value of a pair of actual raybans, with case. The only problem with them is a slight chip on the inside of the right frame. You can't see it at all when wearing it and it doesn't effect comfort or anything like that. No one would ever know until you show them. The lens and rest of frame is in great shape. Just curious because i'm not sure if they're going to work for me.

If i can't get anything for them i might just keep them for when i want to look like a preppy hipster. The new YMC spring lookbook on gargyle kind of inspired some possible looks this spring if i feel like it.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
The new YMC spring lookbook on gargyle kind of inspired some possible looks this spring if i feel like it.
Is their lookbook online somewhere? I did not see a mention of it on their site.

randomtw

Reaction score
chronoaug theres probably a ton of fake ray-bans out there so I don't think the resell value is going to be high

now if I can find a way to distinguish fakes from real ones, then I'll probably buy one off ebay otherwise I'll go thrifting or just pickup a cheap one from some mall store

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have fake ray-bans that don't fall apart. The lenses are the important part. They probably are just as bad as not wearing anything at all. I don't go outside much so I pretty much wear them in the car, and the car glass blocks uvb rays.

I have just bought some randolph engineering aviators and I'm going to start wearing those more and ditch the cheap ones.

kakemono

Reaction score
I had some fake raybans and they bent out of shape so bad so fast it was ridiculous. I am rough on my glasses. My Raybans have survived being sat on for many occasions when i forget they are in the seat of my car.

cookieoflife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
a health caution for fake sunglasses - some (probably most) of them may not have UV protection!

what they do is just darken the glass, without the polarization/UV blocking. when you just darken the glass, your pupils dilate, and MORE UV light gets into your eyes, which can cause cataracts, decreased vision, and other eye problems later on.

i'm not saying that all fakes are like this, but can you really trust a fake sunglass brand to spend the extra time and money to polarize their lenses as well?

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem00539.htm

Most glass and plastic sheets will actually filter a large amount of UV out. Not saying it's not bad to have a totally untreated, tinted piece of glass in front of your eyes, but it's not terrible.

mmarc

Reaction score
this s how to spot the genuine rayban that i found on the internet
u can go to their site to see more

RAYBAN+aviator+3025+%284%29.JPG

RAYBAN+aviator+3025+%285%29.JPG

RAYBAN+aviator+3025+%286%29.JPG

credit- http://homojeaniens.blogspot.com/201...n-aviator.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads