• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boycott ebay Feb 18-25!

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/07/smbu...ion=2008021009

(FORTUNE Small Business) -- Ever since eBay (EBAY, Fortune 500) announced changes to its feedback rules and fee structure last week, sellers have been irate, exploding onto message boards and blogs with discussions about how the new policies will affect their businesses. But when the idea of a strike was floated, some sellers and buyers decided to get more organized about expressing their displeasure.

A discussion thread on eBay's own forums with the title "Sign the pledge_no sales Feb 18-25!" has received 4,000 posts in nine days, many expressing members' intentions to join the boycott. The strike is scheduled to overlap eBay's planned Feb. 20 launch date for its new policies, which include fee hikes, a 21-day hold on some funds sent through its PayPal payment service, and disallowing sellers from leaving negative feedback for their buyers.

Facebook and MySpace pages dedicated to the strike are circulating, along with an online petition, and a mailing list called the Online Seller Cyber Union has gathered more than 700 emails in a week. A YouTube video on Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) entitled "Feb 18-25th 2008: Worldwide Ebay Strike" has racked up more than 16,000 views since Saturday.

"It's like a rallying cry for other sellers," said Valerie Lennert, creator of the YouTube video. "It was another way of letting people know that they were not alone. My inbox is overflowing with people that are ticked off."

Past boycotts fizzled

EBay boycott attempts are hardly a new phenomenon. The eBay community has always been stridently vocal about the fee and policy changes that the company introduces nearly every January, and previous seller strikes, such as one protesting eBay's 2006 fee hikes, were largely ineffective.

"We've seen a lot of these. They haven't really changed eBay's mind before," said David Steiner, president of AuctionBytes, a trade publication for online merchants that has followed the online auction industry since 1999. "But this is a pretty severe one. People are much angrier than last year."

EBay says it's unworried by the rebellious rhetoric.

"We have a passionate community, and we are not surprised to hear them voicing concern," eBay spokesman Usher Lieberman said via e-mail. "However, when our sellers have had ample opportunity to evaluate the entire package we now offer and consider the traffic and trading velocity we deliver every day, we are confident that they will conclude eBay remains their best business partner."

Nonetheless, support for the planned strike later this month seems to be snowballing. Some sellers see it as their last resort for protesting changes more drastic than any eBay has previously unleashed.

Joe Hackney of Sadetha, Kan., has run a business selling used motorcycle parts through eBay auctions since 2002. His decision to take part in the boycott means losing a week of business: about $6,500 in gross sales, plus the cost of wages for two employees who will be sent home on paid leave.

If the action is successful in persuading eBay to change its new rules, Hackney thinks it'll be worth it. Otherwise, he expects the new fees to cost him an extra $4,000 a year, an expense he says he has no choice but to pay.

"I'm scared because there isn't anywhere else to go," he said. "I've looked at other sites and there's no one there."

Other upset sellers are hoping to colonize new sites with a fresh influx of fleeing eBay merchants.

Joyce Wilson of Marion, Ohio, makes scrapbooks and sells them on eBay through auctions and a storefront. She plans to boycott eBay, but she's also already moving her products to Etsy.com, an online store for handmade items. She knows that she won't get as much traffic as she does now, but she's confident that she can start bringing some of her eBay customers to the new site.

"I'm in the process of looking into other options," she said. "But I'm going to see what eBay's reaction is. It's up to their reaction whether I stay or not."

YouTube videomaker Lennert, who has also been handing out boycott fliers at her local post office in Anaheim, Calif., feels she has no choice but to protest and hope eBay takes note. Last month, she quit her job as a social worker to instead sell doll clothing on eBay full-time. Less than a week later, the fee changes were announced, and Lennert realized that they would put too much pressure on her bottom line.

"Now I'm interviewing for another job because I don't think I can pull it together enough to make a profit on eBay," she said. She plans to boycott eBay both as a seller and as a buyer.

"That's it. No more, until something is done about these changes," she said.

playdohh22

Reaction score
censored.gif
baldy[1].gif

coatandthai

Reaction score
I like the new feedback rule -- if you don't like the fees, go to Craigslist and see what the "Wild Wild West" is like.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viva la Revolucion!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
disallowing sellers from leaving negative feedback for their buyers.
This would be a tremendous improvement. Finally, feedback would actually mean something when buyers are not afraid of retaliation and can voice their true opinion on a transaction and seller.

Seersucker

Reaction score
The whole feedback issue is what bugs me. If it was set up so that the sellers had to leave feedback once the purchase was completed, without waiting to see what my feedback as the buyer is, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Yet another reason I love the forum so much.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I think the sellers should be allowed to leave feedback, but it must be done within 24 hours of the auction closing, or something like that. I agree with previous posters that it's not fair for them to leave feedback in a retaliatory fashion. The buyer has fulfilled their entire responsibility once the product is paid for.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coatandthai
I like the new feedback rule -- if you don't like the fees, go to Craigslist and see what the "Wild Wild West" is like.

You must be Asian.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Finally, buyers are not afraid of retaliation and can voice their true opinion .

I think you are projecting here , A lot.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I think you are projecting here , A lot.
Making no sense. As usual...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Of course you do. How many buyers would agree though?

I don't know. What I DO know, however, is that fraudulant buyers (the type who files chargeback no matter what) is very happy at the news.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I don't know. What I DO know, however, is that fraudulant buyers (the type who files chargeback no matter what) is very happy at the news.

I don't condone fraud - of course - and fraudulent buyers should be punished/banned/sued just like fraudulent sellers. I'm just saying that, in the normal course of business, buyers are not encouraged to leave honest feedback because sellers use feedback as a retaliation tool. Overall, it doesn't help anyone as feedback scores lose their value and don't protect the honest buyers and sellers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads