• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gay question

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I B T L

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Wow. Black men actually have large penises - .

Just because the ones you've been with do, doesn't mean they all do. Don't stereotype dude.

Originally Posted by whodini
Like Queen bees to honey...

Oh, I see what you did. "Queen" bees. I get it.

Originally Posted by imageWIS
I think Conne has finally lost it (if he ever had it at all), I want to watch the insanity unfold.

Jon.

Just make sure you are fully shorn before watching
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by Connemara
Sometimes I get angry when I'm drunk.
angry.gif

Given how often you are drunk, you are suprisingly pleasant most of the time.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Given how often you are drunk, you are suprisingly pleasant most of the time.
I'm a happy drunk (generally). I know guys who want to fight people everytime they get drunk. Me, I'm content with chasing butterflies and singing Judy Garland songs.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How's that kidney doing? When's the next time you're going to ask for sympathy?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Baby WISmere?

chiffonhead

Reaction score
being new here I don't get a lot of the inside stuff, but it seems to me that it could go either way. it's easy to call someone a ****** in the same way it's easy to call a woman a ***** or whore. it's just a word. some people use it as a jab and some use it in humor and you have to know when and how to use it.

however, I do think that the metrosexual movement probably brought a lot of "questionable behavior" to the forefront.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting back to the original poster's question, I think homophobia and "queer consciousness" were far higher when I was a teen-ager 50 years ago:

The "queer" was invariably viewed as a hated outcast, abhorred alike of God and man. He was frenzied and insatiable in his pursuit of bodies, lust and sensation. He was always a predator with a special penchant for cute little boys to sate his depraved desires. He was the enemy of all straight men, and all straight men were united in their contempt for him.

There were all sorts of little ways you could detect the "queer"--by how he held his cigarette or examined his fingernails or whatnot. (Queers and women held their cigarettes between their index and middle finger; straight men held theirs between their thumb and index finger and used the little finger to flick off excess ash. When asked to examine their fingernails, queers and women would extend their fingers away from the body; straight men were supposed to cup their hands with the fingers pointing toward them, etc.) A lot of this was very silly, and some of it was deliberately silly--like the story that all queers wore green on Thursday as a recognition sign. Nonetheless, national magazines would actually print articles on how to tell if a prospective employee was a dreaded homosexual (that he would touch himself more than normal, was one of the "tells," as I recall). Other clues (more appropriate to boys' boarding schools, where I picked up much of this lore) were that gay men had larger ******** than straight men. Also, they were supposed to be poor at sports...and so it went.

As I remarked, "queer consciousness" was very high at my school, and the joking was incessant--far worse than on this forum. Boys who were actually suspected of homosexuality were universally despised and frequently cruelly ridiculed. Sample: A friend of mine quipped in the course of a group conversation, "All orphans are queer. Isn't that right, George?" George (who was both strongly [and correctly, I believe] suspected of being gay and who had been adopted) glared back at my pal and said, "Hanssen, I hate your guts!"

I sometimes think the pendulum may have swung too far in the other direction. Perhaps it's my age, but I can't accept absolute parity between homosexuality and heterosexuality. Nonetheless, I think things are much more humane and tolerant these days.

chiffonhead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Perhaps it's my age, but I can't accept absolute parity between homosexuality and heterosexuality.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. can you elaborate?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I sometimes think the pendulum may have swung too far in the other direction. Perhaps it's my age, but I can't accept absolute parity between homosexuality and heterosexuality.
So do you think teh gayz should be on top or on the bottom, if parity is not acceptable?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I've worn a small diamond stud above a small gold hoop now since the late 80s. Was a **** trendsetter? I have vowed to take them out in four more years (well, closer to three now), when I hit 40. There's **** and there's being that guy, which I refuse to be.

Yes, yes you were.

Take the earring out and don't wait three years to do it!
crazy.gif

FWIW, I went to an all-boys school for a couple of years. I remember it being extremely comptetitive to the point of visciousness, but I don't remember any gay jokes being made. I do remember a 15 on 15 brawl in the locker room after school though (our class was divided into two camps like in the Lord of the Flies). Then again, we were in grade 4, and the school soon after became co-ed.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Yes, yes you were.

Take the earring out and don't wait three years to do it!
crazy.gif

Nah, waiting until the big 40. It's gonna be part of the party
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads