• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gay question

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Just asking, but did people always obsess over hetero/homosexuality? I'm only 31, so I really don't remember the bad ol' days, but it seems as if everything guys do is subject to attacks on their sexual orientation (and I know I'm gay for even asking this HAHAHAHAHAHA). Lots of movies/tv from the old days often show straight guys in situations that would now be ridiculed as gay. Did the relative normalization of homsexuality cause the homoparanoia?

Was it always this way? It seems as if every post on here is scrutinized for possible "tells" of homosexuality. Were people always so paranoid about catching teh ****? I love a good gay joke as much as the next guy (feel free to edit for extra lolz), but it just seems ridiculous.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it was much stronger - 20-30 years ago, it would be pretty much inconcievable for a man to be out of the closet, in much of the world, and using "gay" as an insult was very common

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it never seems to come up in real life as it does on these boards. Then again, I've spent pretty much all of my adult life in NYC, so maybe that accounts for some of it. I spent twelve years in a single-sex school and there were never more than occasional casual speculation about teachers or students who might have been gay -- there was certainly an implied mild bigotry, I suppose, but it was really not vicious, or any particular obsession.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the tags.. really subtle.

But my contribution is only the simple observation that guys like socal, who just talk about gay stuff like any gay guy should, are way more respected for their 'straight'forwardness on this subject than any of the in the closet tinkerbells that whe have on this forum.

The almost pathological urge of some 'hit the reply button' nerds to defend their supposed straightness is just perfect jailbait for the edmorels and conne's on this forum.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I retract my serious answer to what I thought was a serious question. Carry on

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FLMM, it just hit me that you and another respected forum member are in Florida. Do you also like to shave your whole body and go bike riding? Do you guys get together and maybe, shave each other before the "ride"?

edit: BTW, FLMM, thanks in advance for what will turn out to be a great thread!

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
FLMM, if this is your way of coming out, it's ok, we just joke about it, we have no issued with people who bat from your side of the plate. Speaking of which, are you are a catcher or a pitcher?

Your unpredictability never ceases to amaze me, neither does your ability to perform analingus while typing. Connie's a lucky guy.

To the serious responses, thanks. I've always wondered if the fact that gays were so closeted before changed the humor at all. I love women, but it gets a little tiresome when every thread seems to devolve into a "you're gay! "No you are!" (Especially when a few of our best contributors are gay).

Women don't seem to face this problem.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's just cheap easy humor, when one has little better to offer than sarcasm or a dick/fart joke.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Your unpredictability never ceases to amaze me, neither does your ability to perform analingus while typing. Connie's a lucky guy.

To the serious responses, thanks. I've always wondered if the fact that gays were so closeted before changed the humor at all. I love women, but it gets a little tiresome when every thread seems to devolve into a "you're gay! "No you are!" (Especially when a few of our best contributors are gay).

Of course they don't. Calling another man's sexuality into question is the definition of machismo. It's man's favorite pastime.

Ed's favorite pastime, on the other dong:
smack.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan

Stop!, you put me in the tags and start this thread and now you are "suprised"
dozingoff.gif

As to the supposed seriousness of the question, you'll notice that other than SoCal, no one geniunely makes fun of anyone here due to their sexual orientation. Even with SoCal, people make fun of him because he takes it well and dishes good and also because he sometimes comes off as a prick. But even then, just look at his thread about breaking up with his boyfriend and you'll find a lot of the guys that make gay jokes giving him some good serious advice.

Now go finish shaving ImageWis!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
^^ And even SoCal will throw in the occasional "***" directed at the Favorite Musical thread or some others, so one must assume that it doesn't bother him too much to hear it.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's it like having Jon as your cub FLMM? Does he lap up the honey real nice-like?

You seem like a dom top. Try not to rip imageWEASEL's granny panties.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you just now feeling the need to make light of this? It was grating on me a few years ago, but I've since lightened up about it. It's just "guys being guys" and as long as nobody is being malicious or degrading, I don't see what the big deal is.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Stop!, you put me in the tags and start this thread and now you are "suprised"
dozingoff.gif

As to the supposed seriousness of the question, you'll notice that other than SoCal, no one geniunely makes fun of anyone here due to their sexual orientation. Even with SoCal, people make fun of him because he takes it well and dishes good and also because he sometimes comes off as a prick. But even then, just look at his thread about breaking up with his boyfriend and you'll find a lot of the guys that make gay jokes giving him some good serious advice.

Now go finish shaving ImageWis!

Actually a pretty good post and I agree with a lot of your points. The tags were a pre-emptive strike, BTW. And I'm tempted to play along with the Image thing just to get him agitated, but I wouldn't want this thread to get squirreled or anything.

I was more thinking of society/entertainment as a whole. Going on a guy's trip is now a "Mancation", McConnaghey & Armstrong have to answer questions about their orientation just because they're hanging out, it just all seems a little paranoid to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads