• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Porche Cayenne S (some help needed)

madison avenue

Reaction score
I need some advice. I am looking to get a Cayenne S (2005) no more then 30K miles. My question is how much will I be looking to pay for general work such as an oil change, changing my breaks and a basic service. Who ever here has this car please fill me in on whatever there is to know, the good the bad etc. I am switching from a 2006 Mercedes ML350 and I cant wait to because the drive is just terrible. Anyhow thanks for the help in advance.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your Cayenne will cost 1.5-2x the cost of maintenance for your ML350.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While you are shopping around for the Cayenne, you might want to take a look at the VW Touareg(?) too. Basically they are the same cars underneath, except for the engine, etc...and obviously price, as the VW is a better deal.

madison avenue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
While you are shopping around for the Cayenne, you might want to take a look at the VW Touareg(?) too. Basically they are the same cars underneath, except for the engine, etc...and obviously price, as the VW is a better deal.

I agree with what you are saying but the engine and the drive is what pulls me to the Porche I had enough of a "soccer mom drive" in the Mercedes. Plus I like the details of the Porshe more although maintanance is what is basically giving me doubts.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maintenance costs for the Porsche will be comparable to the Mercedes.

teamtoken

Reaction score
no offence mate

but if you cant afford maintainence on a porsche, you cant afford a porsche
smile.gif

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teamtoken
no offence mate

but if you cant afford maintainence on a porsche, you cant afford a porsche
smile.gif

I agree. Hard to complain about high prices of any car related service or product once you own a $70K Porsche. I think I'm getting ripped off at the car wash at $25 a pop but heck if I'm making a big stink with the owner/manager. I'd look like a jackass if I did.
blush.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
When was the model change for the ML? Was 06 the last year of that generation? The reason I ask is we just went through a couple of months of SUV shopping for the wife and settled on the 08 ML 550. This is a respectable performing SUV, 0 - 60 in well under 6 seconds (5.6 in the literature). The fit and finish is far superior to the two Cayennes we drove, the driver's cockpit was much better designed, the level of luxury is far superior in the Merc, and to my eye, the car is also better looking. Ride quality is all the Merc over the Porsche. The only thing the Porsche has superior is that the road inputs are somewhat more direct to the steering wheel.

Price? The ML was considerably less than an equally dressed Porche.

Didn't Porsche take a year off making Cayennes too? I seem to remember something about that while we were test driving. We really wanted to like the Porsche but were deeply disappointed. I would even put the Infiniti FX 45 over the Cayenne, given the combination of new technology the Porsche lacked and that the FX 45 with the sport package is really quite a nice handling vehicle. And way, way cheaper, and unless you're net worth is measured in 10's of millions, always a good idea not to toss money around when you are not getting value for it other than a name plate.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cayenne skipped 07. If he's looking for a 05 Cayenne S, I doubt he'd be in the same market as a 08 ML550 though.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
The only thing the Porsche has superior is that the road inputs are somewhat more direct to the steering wheel.

Here's my beef with the "sport" attribute in SUVs: why would you want to have your SUV handle like a sports car? You buy an SUV for three primary reasons: interior room, higher seating position, and AWD. An SUV will never handle as good as a sports car, and paying for such a thing is like trying to paint an apple orange to turn it into an orange. It may look like one, but it will never be like one. My general feeling about this is that you should get a real sports car, albeit something lesser than a Porsche if you can't yet afford one; then buy a cheap, but proper SUV, e.g. Jeep Grand Cherokee. You can both afford a nice sports car and a nice SUV, then get both. Buying a "sport" SUV is a waste of money, IMO, because you're paying for a feature that's incongruous with the rest of the car.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Here's my beef with the "sport" attribute in SUVs: why would you want to have your SUV handle like a sports car? You buy an SUV for three primary reasons: interior room, higher seating position, and AWD. An SUV will never handle as good as a sports car, and paying for such a thing is like trying to paint an apple orange to turn it into an orange. It may look like one, but it will never be like one. My general feeling about this is that you should get a real sports car, albeit something lesser than a Porsche if you can't yet afford one; then buy a cheap, but proper SUV, e.g. Jeep Grand Cherokee. You can both afford a nice sports car and a nice SUV, then get both. Buying a "sport" SUV is a waste of money, IMO, because you're paying for a feature that's incongruous with the rest of the car.

Guessing you never drove an ML 55 (amg)?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Guessing you never drove an ML 55 (amg)?

Can't say that I have, but I've driven various "sport" SUVs, including some older MLs, X5 4.4 and 4.6, FX45, and the Cayenne S. I drove the BMWs on a test track as well. I have no doubt that the ML55 hauls ass like a bat out of hell--just as any other AMG cars. But, what separates a sports car from a roided out SUV is the ability to turn. As good as these SUVs handle, there's no comparison to a pure sports car.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Can't say that I have, but I've driven various "sport" SUVs, including some older MLs, X5 4.4 and 4.6, FX45, and the Cayenne S. I drove the BMWs on a test track as well. I have no doubt that the ML55 hauls ass like a bat out of hell--just as any other AMG cars. But, what separates a sports car from a roided out SUV is the ability to turn. As good as these SUVs handle, there's no comparison to a pure sports car.

No I understand what you mean but I guess some guys who have families don't want to sacrifice performance so they don't feel like a castrated 40 year old in some douchy, quasi soccer dad car. I agree that's not what you should be buying if you're into good machinery, but it's just a compromise for people and clearly it's been quite successful for the car companies.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
I guess some guys who have families don't want to sacrifice performance so they don't feel like a castrated 40 year old in some douchy, quasi soccer dad car.
Bingo! The Billion dollar niche. However, it's arguable whether a soccer dad in a Porsche Cayenne S is less douchy than one in a Honda Odyssey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads