• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, and for those of you looking to order the gentleman traveler: http://www.redwingcasuals.com/mens/h...traveler.html# i found that through the style code (4 digit number), you can call in to any store on their website and they'll ship it direct from their factory. i don't believe they're discontinued, the lady on the phone told me they still had all sizes. she also confirmed that they ran half a size LARGE, so order 1/2 size smaller than your normal size if you are looking to purchase these online.

fashionnoob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
oh, and for those of you looking to order the gentleman traveler:

http://www.redwingcasuals.com/mens/h...traveler.html#

i found that through the style code (4 digit number), you can call in to any store on their website and they'll ship it direct from their factory. i don't believe they're discontinued, the lady on the phone told me they still had all sizes.

she also confirmed that they ran half a size LARGE, so order 1/2 size smaller than your normal size if you are looking to purchase these online.

thanks stick, this could be very helpful as i've wanted these for a while. i've been kicking myself since i passed them up last fall.

to clarify, i'm assuming that you order by calling one of the land-based red wing retailers and asking them to ship from the factory and NOT one of the online retailers (zappos et al.) is that right?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Zappos has the GTs back in stock in Black Cherry Red.
Seems like they only got one in each size.
I just ordered the 10.5.

smw356

Reaction score
Red Wing stores often have some pretty decent sales like 10-25% off all boots. I'm not 100% sure that you could combine that with having them special order a pair of GT's but I was able to with a special order for a pair of 875's (which they didn't carry in store). So if there is one in your area it might be worth looking into.

Vidi

Reaction score
oh, and for those of you looking to order the gentleman traveler:

http://www.redwingcasuals.com/mens/h...traveler.html#

i found that through the style code (4 digit number), you can call in to any store on their website and they'll ship it direct from their factory. i don't believe they're discontinued, the lady on the phone told me they still had all sizes.

she also confirmed that they ran half a size LARGE, so order 1/2 size smaller than your normal size if you are looking to purchase these online.

I'd order at least half a size smaller than normal sizing. I've worn between an 11 and 12 in other Red Wing boots, and started out ordering an 11 in the GT 9011. When it came in, it was obviously too big, so I asked them to get a 10.5 and hold the 11s. A week and a half later, I took the 10.5s home because I didn't want to wait for them to order a 10, but after wearing them around the apartment for half an hour the next day, I called up and ordered the 10. Hopefully it'll be perfect; it should come in sometime this week.

Originally Posted by fashionnoob
thanks stick, this could be very helpful as i've wanted these for a while. i've been kicking myself since i passed them up last fall.

to clarify, i'm assuming that you order by calling one of the land-based red wing retailers and asking them to ship from the factory and NOT one of the online retailers (zappos et al.) is that right?

I've done this by walking into a land-based Red Wing retailer and having them order it right to the store, and neither of the Red Wing stores I've gone to in the area made it sound like there was anything odd about doing so. The (excellent) employee of one of the stores, who really only works weekends and took this job after retiring from a blue-collar career of wearing Red Wings, thought that the price was crazy, though
smile.gif
The other store is mostly staffed by young ladies, and every time I come in to try on the latest sizing iteration of the GT whoever is helping me ends up taking one of the boots and showing it off to the other employees. They all ask how I heard of it, because they'd never seen or heard anything about it.

My $0.02

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are the 1911's the same as the GT's?

if they're the same, is it possible to use the $209 on the cultizm GT"s to get a price adjustment for zappo's $240 GT's?

headtotoe

Reaction score
I just scored the last GT size 9 in BC at Zappos. Yippee! Hope they fit, I usually wear a 10. Thanks for the info this thread brought.

headtotoe

Reaction score
Just got my GT size 9. Normally I wear 10 but, Vidi, (and all) thanks after reading I ordered 1 size down. Bingo!
nod[1].gif
Fits like a glove, except the D width is pinching, I guess that'll stretch. OP sorry for teh hijack. ps. ordered from Zappos Sat afternoon, shoes arrived Monday am. Great service.
Originally Posted by Vidi
I'd order at least half a size smaller than normal sizing. I've worn between an 11 and 12 in other Red Wing boots, and started out ordering an 11 in the GT 9011. When it came in, it was obviously too big, so I asked them to get a 10.5 and hold the 11s. A week and a half later, I took the 10.5s home because I didn't want to wait for them to order a 10, but after wearing them around the apartment for half an hour the next day, I called up and ordered the 10. Hopefully it'll be perfect; it should come in sometime this week. My $0.02

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are the 1911's the same as the GT's?

if they're the same, is it possible to use the $209 on the cultizm GT"s to get a price adjustment for zappo's $240 GT's?

The 9011 is the same as the 1911 but without the Red Wing logo.

LDawg

Reaction score
It appears Cultizm got some more 1911's in stock.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a pair of the Gentleman Travelers from Cultizm and I received a pair of the 9011s, no red wing logo on the outside of the boots. They recently restocked and have most sizes available.

I must say that it was a pleasure doing business with Cultizm. I ordered on Wednesday night and the package arrived Monday around noon. I didn't have to pay customs fees so the total came up to about 205$ shipped to Canada.

I sized down 1/2 size and it seems to be OK. Probably could have sized down a full size but some extra room is good for thick socks and keeping your feet warm in the harsh February weather around here.

LDawg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
I ordered a pair of the Gentleman Travelers from Cultizm and I received a pair of the 9011s, no red wing logo on the outside of the boots. They recently restocked and have most sizes available.

I must say that it was a pleasure doing business with Cultizm. I ordered on Wednesday night and the package arrived Monday around noon. I didn't have to pay customs fees so the total came up to about 205$ shipped to Canada.

I sized down 1/2 size and it seems to be OK. Probably could have sized down a full size but some extra room is good for thick socks and keeping your feet warm in the harsh February weather around here.

I also ordered a pair expecting 1911s with the logo, but instead received 9011s. I sized down a half size. It is just a tad roomy, but fine for the reasons stated above.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just ordered 2 minutes ago from cultizm. i'm guessing i'll get my package in less than 1 week (next monday)?

for those of you who ordered from cultizm - (johnnylaw): do you have to be home to sign for the package, and was it via ups or fedex?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
update:

so it looks like they've already sent out the package, only5 hours or so after i ordered it! on the fedex website it said that it's to be delivered to my doorstep on the 21st, before 10:30am. i'm pretty sure this is wrong...am i right?

i chose the express shipping btw, which was the same price as the standard shipping. their shipping procedures are a bit confusing, which is why i ask. not that it matters of course, it shows up when it shows up. it's a bit ironic that i'm ordering a shoe that's cheaper overseas when it was made in the usa...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads