• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is 3 Piece Suit appropriate

eudoxos

Reaction score
So after waiting for 3 months, the Thai tailor I ordered from finally sent me my suits.
He gave me his package deal of 3 suits, 6 shirts and 3 ties for $1500 Canadian.
I got him to throw in a vest for my charcoal suit to make it a 3-piece.

The suits look pretty decent and I'm excited to wear them, but when can I wear the 3-piece? It seems way too formal for my office, but maybe its ok for when I go to synagogue.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Michael

satorstyle

Reaction score
The answer is anytime, a three piece suit is a timeless classic like a double breasted suit. They come in and out of style for the masses, but any well dressed man can wear them at will.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by satorstyle
The answer is anytime, a three piece suit is a timeless classic like a double breasted suit. They come in and out of style for the masses, but any well dressed man can wear them at will.

Just wore a 3 piece wool/cashmere dark blue chalkstripe (RLBL) this past weekend....and got more compliments on it than with any other suit.

Regards.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 3-piece is always appropriate if you have the panache to pull it off. I wouldn't wear one to a conservative job interview though.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a charity auctioneer coming up and I think I might wear a three piece with bowtie to that
bigstar[1].gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when it is colder and you need additional warmth at the chest area

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks fantastic. But only if you wear a monocle with it and constantly check the time on a pocket watch.
smile.gif

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Notwithstanding the silly comment re: the monocle. a three piece is, as noted, a timeless classic. I do think, in popular perception, it adds a touch of formality. However, I would not allow that to impact your choice as to when to wear it and would argue it is appropriate whenever a suit is appropriate.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing one today in my office where "professional attire" (suit/sportscoat) is required. Most wear sportscoats. No one has said anything negative to me. All compliments. I think some of the older guys appreciate it--the young guy dressing up.

b

eudoxos

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I think I'll wear it sooner rather than later!

One more question about vests....I'm under the impression that the lowest button remains unbuttoned. Is it also correct the leave the 2nd lowest unbuttoned as well?
Thanks.

Michael

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear them a lot at my office, in fact i'm wearing one right now. Maybe your office is a bit more casual then mine is, I don't know. I also wear mine to church sometimes and weddings and other sophisticated social functions. Even after work when I go to the store or when i am at home, but most people seem to think that's a little abnormal.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're extremely formal and a bit old-fashioned but they can be charming and full of character...

If you do wear a 3 piece suit ,you're making a statement and projecting a certain image....

I find them exquisite on older and distinguished gentlemen..

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your seeing the more andmore again just like DB suits. Next falls catalogs are full of them. So plan on seeing more of them. Plus your starting to see them more and more in GQ and the like. I love them but not everyone can pull it off like DB.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I think it looks fantastic. But only if you wear a monocle with it and constantly check the time on a pocket watch.
smile.gif

Strikes me as about as useful as saying that jeans are great but only when accompanied by a hoe and a brace of farming mules.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always take a hoe when I wear my three-piece suit, but the mules -- that's too kinky for me.

Twotone

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads