• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
double edit: I wondered this awhile back. What deodorant do you guys wear? I just figured something unscented as not to conflict with the fragrance. I don't really know though.

Is deodorant really necessary if you don't happen to sweat much at all during the day? Hence why I haven't found the need for one.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I live in florida. Deodorant/anti-persperant is always necessary. Fair enough on using whatever. I just have some cheap old spice ocean scented something or other that does the trick but does have a rather strong scent. I might try to find some random unscented brand. Lord does it get hot and humid in florida though, even in the middle of winter (80degrees the past day or so).

I'm definitely going to search around basenotes to see if anyone is selling off some used stuff. I found a lot of stuff by l'artisan parfumeur on ebay that is slightly used. Are most ebay fragrances legit? I don't know if people actually fake or not.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Today: Helmut Lang parfum

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I'm definitely going to search around basenotes to see if anyone is selling off some used stuff. I found a lot of stuff by l'artisan parfumeur on ebay that is slightly used. Are most ebay fragrances legit? I don't know if people actually fake or not.

It depends. Creed and Chanel are faked incredibly often. Other brands, less so. Basenotes is fairly safe, although the really good stuff gets snapped up quickly. Members will put any number of bottles up on the site, and the prices range from usury to spectacularly cheap. I'd try basenotes first, ebay second.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bure
hmm thanks i'll try that! today i sprayed 1 chest, 2 neck, 2 wrists... i can't smell it on me.... ;(

any other perfumes similar?

i tried l'eau de Navigateur (excellent, sweet scent)

also, Mark Birley for Men (very nice)

opinions?

In my experience L'Artisan Parfumer L'Eau du Navigateur lasts quite a while. I would not really classify it as a "sweet" scent in a way a lot of popular "gourmand" smells are (i.e. JPG Le Malle).
The dominant notes in L'Eau du Navigateur are coffee and smoke, with some wood and leather. It has a hint of sweetness, but it is more of a "coffee with milk and two sugars" kind of sweetness, contrasted with cinnamon roll or glazed jelly donut kind of sweetness that is so common in popular parfumes.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today : Chanel Antaeus (vintage stock) I leave this one alone for a while, and each time I come back it's like seeing the Sistine Chapel all over again. Dry spicy-woody scent, with a warm beeswax base.

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
...I leave this one alone for a while, and each time I come back it's like seeing the Sistine Chapel all over again...

That is exactly how I feel about (today's) Chanel Cuir de Russie, except that I can rarely leave it alone for more than a week, and I have never seen the Sistine Chapel in person.

It is a perfect marriage of the sacred and the profane, or should I say the flowery and the fecal.

exterminatus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Today : Chanel Antaeus (vintage stock) I leave this one alone for a while, and each time I come back it's like seeing the Sistine Chapel all over again. Dry spicy-woody scent, with a warm beeswax base.

I wish I could try some
smile.gif

My first samples arrived - wearing L'Artisan Parfumeur - Dzing!

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories today.

bure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
In my experience L'Artisan Parfumer L'Eau du Navigateur lasts quite a while. I would not really classify it as a "sweet" scent in a way a lot of popular "gourmand" smells are (i.e. JPG Le Malle).
The dominant notes in L'Eau du Navigateur are coffee and smoke, with some wood and leather. It has a hint of sweetness, but it is more of a "coffee with milk and two sugars" kind of sweetness, contrasted with cinnamon roll or glazed jelly donut kind of sweetness that is so common in popular parfumes.

Hmm yes you described it perfectly! How do you like it? I only had a taste of the top notes... it was selling for $125, a little pricey for me though

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's one of my favorites. I even bought a second bottle last year when I heard a rumor that it may be discontinued.

You may wish to get a sample and wear it a few times before committing to a full bottle. Individual's skin chemistry has a huge effect on how a fragnance smells and how long it lasts.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Andy Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain

Near the end of the sample, and I'm finally starting to get this scent. Before it was a tangled jumbles mess of dry spices. Now I'm getting a big camphor/patchouli opening, followed by cedar (pencil shavings) and spices (cardamom?). It's dry like the desert, but not without charm. I may end up with a bottle of this someday.

But not right now, cause Mrs. T do not like it. Yet.

exterminatus

Reaction score
Sample rampage continues; CDG - Kyoto.

Love the smell. will wear it going out today too.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
today I wore: Bond No 9's Noveau Bowery. Very nice and Lime-y!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads