• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bure
hmm thanks i'll try that! today i sprayed 1 chest, 2 neck, 2 wrists... i can't smell it on me.... ;(

any other perfumes similar?

i tried l'eau de Navigateur (excellent, sweet scent)

also, Mark Birley for Men (very nice)

opinions?

Yes, I second what Thomas said. Beware of applying too much, you just maybe used to the fragrance.

Have you tried moisturizing your skin? Dry skin just drinks up the fragrance. Moisturizing the skin lets the fragrance stay on the skin.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Il Profumum Patchouli. Wonderful blend of patchouli and incense.

bure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Haven't tried any of those... but must warn you about olfactory fatigue, which happens when your nose gets accustomed to a scent and starts tuning it out. Happens a lot with colognes / perfumes, and some people become walking sillage clouds laying waste to all noses in their path.

Not saying this is happening to you, but rather, you should expect to not smell yourself after a few hours. Other are very likely to still smell you. And if you wind up in a stressful situation, your scent will probably reappear in full force.

Ah I see, I didn't think about that since this is the first time wearing the cologne (can I call this a cologne?).

I will try moisturizer, need to find a good non-scented one, but I guess that question is for a different thread!

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on 2 Man, Play and Avignon? Have samples of each on the way.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today - Hermes Bel Ami to get me through this cold snap. Dry spicy warmth...

Jonglover: I've heard good things about 2Man, the other two I am unfamiliar with.

Bure: yes, cologne is accepted in the great lexicon of manly words, provided you don't utter the word too often. Then people will consider you a fop.
laugh.gif

I use and can recommend Aveeno moisturizer.

bure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mandrake9072
http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=204659

Thanks!

From reading that thread I will try L'Occitane Shea Butter (if I can find it in store. general drug store Canada?), Aveeno Unscented, or Palmer's Unscented Cocoa Butter.

Originally Posted by Thomas

Bure: yes, cologne is accepted in the great lexicon of manly words, provided you don't utter the word too often. Then people will consider you a fop.
laugh.gif

I use and can recommend Aveeno moisturizer.

Two questions:

- but can I use 'cologne' for any fragrance I use? (is it just me or does 'perfume' for a man's scent sound completely wrong?)
- What is a fop?

topbroker

Reaction score
Two questions:

- but can I use 'cologne' for any fragrance I use? (is it just me or does 'perfume' for a man's scent sound completely wrong?)

I would, yes. "Perfume" does sound wrong.

- What is a fop?
A dandy. Someone who cares greatly about their appearance and self-presentation. Pretty much all of us here.
smile.gif

bure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
I would, yes. "Perfume" does sound wrong.

A dandy. Someone who cares greatly about their appearance and self-presentation. Pretty much all of us here.
smile.gif

Glad I'm not the only one. In both cases.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks!

From reading that thread I will try L'Occitane Shea Butter (if I can find it in store. general drug store Canada?), Aveeno Unscented, or Palmer's Unscented Cocoa Butter.

Two questions:

- What is a fop?

Actually, the proper name depends on the concentration:
(going from memory here, could be off)

Perfume - 20-40% fragrance oils - strongest concentration
Eau de Perfume - 10-20%
Eau de Toilette - 5-10%
Eau de Cologne - 2-5%

So, perfumes are strong and used very lightly, while an EdC can be applied with a bit more liberty. However, strength also hinges on the quality and nature of the oils - some are powerful (civet) and others are very subdued (sandalwood).

No there won't be a quiz on this. If you say cologne you might be corrected by some snooty sales associate at L'Artisan or Chanel (no, sir, it is pronounced "O deh parfum"), but the rest of the world will know what you're talking about.

As for the fop appellation, there is a pejorative undertone that there's all this style on display, but nothing under the surface. Kind of like Paris Hilton or Heidi Montag. I like to think we've got more to offer the world than our threads and scents.

exterminatus

Reaction score
Wearing Molecule 01 by Eccentric Molecules, apparently somewhat controversial, but I like it
smile.gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about decanting? I know the perfumed court is a ripoff ounce for ounce, but i don't have the money to buy 2-3 full priced fragrances and i really would rather have a few to switch between for variety's sake, at least for this first group of fragrance purchases. I mean, i could get 3-4 5ml spray vials (supposedly about 175sprays?) for like $75-100 which would be around the cost of just 1 full bottle. I know i'm getting less, but i was just curious how everyone felt about it here. I'm sure most of you know a bit and are more comfortable than i just investing in a whole bottle.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
How do you guys feel about decanting? I know the perfumed court is a ripoff ounce for ounce, but i don't have the money to buy 2-3 full priced fragrances and i really would rather have a few to switch between for variety's sake, at least for this first group of fragrance purchases. I mean, i could get 3-4 5ml spray vials (supposedly about 175sprays?) for like $75-100 which would be around the cost of just 1 full bottle. I know i'm getting less, but i was just curious how everyone felt about it here. I'm sure most of you know a bit and are more comfortable than i just investing in a whole bottle.

That's what a lot of people at basenotes do... or they swap. It's a great way to 'sample' scents w/o shelling a lot of bucks.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Ok, i mean, i don't want to be throwing my money away or anything. How many uses can i get out of 5ml? Like 75-100 or something? I think i'll get 3-4 for like $100 and then after that probably pick 1 or 2 that are going to be must haves for full bottles.

edit: do people on those sites ever sell used scents they either didn't end up liking or got tired of? I'd potentially be interested in that. I need to check basenotes more.

double edit: I wondered this awhile back. What deodorant do you guys wear? I just figured something unscented as not to conflict with the fragrance. I don't really know though.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Ok, i mean, i don't want to be throwing my money away or anything. How many uses can i get out of 5ml? Like 75-100 or something? I think i'll get 3-4 for like $100 and then after that probably pick 1 or 2 that are going to be must haves for full bottles.

edit: do people on those sites ever sell used scents they either didn't end up liking or got tired of? I'd potentially be interested in that. I need to check basenotes more.

1. Most of my decants have been 10 ml, and the only one I've used up over the past year, I've used once a week. That's roughly 50 uses, two sprays each. It's a powerful scent though, so two sprays have been good for the entire day. I've got plenty more that I'm not even halfway through.

2. Most of my bottles used to belong to someone else. I've also moved other scents along to more appreciative homes. Happens on basenotes all the time. Other sites as well.

3. Deodorant: use what ever works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads