• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is the best time to shop for a suit

brlfvr

Reaction score
Hey there, first post. Love the site. So I realize that don't pay retail is the montra here. So besides ebay which still scares the bejesus out of me to purchase a suit, what stores and what time of year is the best to shop for men's suits. Here's the trickier part. I'm a thin 36R. So my selection is painfully limited. I live in Los Angeles and always check the Rack when I go and have been to the big Macy's sale both at Bev. Center and warehouse sale in Santa Monica. I think I've seen two 36R's. As much as it's considered hipper to do the two button suit. I think that the three is more versatile. I like two button for the no tie look or hipster thin tie monochromatic thing, but I need this suit to be both hip and a bit more formal. The other problem is that I'd like to keep it at around $750. Any suggestions? Any reputable ebayers would be welcome. I've been trying to get caught up with those existing threads.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you are willing to spend that much and live in LA, you should check out one of the other forum members site. his username is Get Smart and he is really nice and helpful.

You can get a MTM suit from him in a variety of different styles and colors.

http://www.thickasthievesla.com/

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
3 pm

brlfvr

Reaction score
You couldn't resist could you? Oh the wit.

knowsnothin

Reaction score
I would check the Rack by South Coast Plaza ASAP. Nordies' mens sale just ended and the stuff that didn't sell is either there already, or will be there soon.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mondays

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever you want or need one.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you don't really need one and have time to look around.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
3 pm

Beat me to it!

The reason 3 p.m. is the best time is that it's after lunch, and you will have swelled to your largest proportions. No point buying a suit that's a size too small and then have all that pain and trouble of breaking it in.

brlfvr

Reaction score
All good points (3pm, Mondays, when you don't really need one). I guess I needed to be more specific (my fault). I don't think my weight will be flexuating enough to make that much of a difference, especially in shoulder and chest, since those are the most important points, right?. Called the southcoast nordies rack and they have 1 suit 36r with flat front and vents (yikes). So I've been checking out the thickasthieves site. Looks interesting. Do you know if they have a walk in shop sort of thing. I like the mod look but don't want to lean that way to much. I'm sending an email off to them. Any members own a suit from them?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brlfvr
All good points (3pm, Mondays, when you don't really need one). I guess I needed to be more specific (my fault). I don't think my weight will be flexuating enough to make that much of a difference, especially in shoulder and chest, since those are the most important points, right?. Called the southcoast nordies rack and they have 1 suit 36r with flat front and vents (yikes). So I've been checking out the thickasthieves site. Looks interesting. Do you know if they have a walk in shop sort of thing. I like the mod look but don't want to lean that way to much. I'm sending an email off to them. Any members own a suit from them?

Don't know why, but I feel like being helpful.

1. 36R is a very difficult to find size in a mens store. Don't waste your time. If you want something specific, you can it MTM from a variety of places for your $750 or so budget.

2. Why do you hate vents?

3. The thickastheives owner posts here regularly (GetSmart). There is also at least one thread on the main forum and one thread on the streetwear forum which gets into many, many details of the suits, fits, options, prices, ordering etc.

Given your dimensions, price, aversion to ebay etc, TaT is probably your best resource both in terms of fit, quality and price to value.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When you are at your fattest. More margin of safety.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omar1223
if you are willing to spend that much and live in LA, you should check out one of the other forum members site. his username is Get Smart and he is really nice and helpful.

You can get a MTM suit from him in a variety of different styles and colors.

http://www.thickasthievesla.com/

I'm going to echo the Thick as Thieves recommendation, especially since you're in the area and could likely do a personal visit. Check out the website, because it seems to fit exactly what you're seeking, hip but still classic and extremely well fitted as it will be made for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads