• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crate chinos

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
If you've been reading the Secret Service (LA) store, we've been talking about the chinos that Crate is putting out and selling at SService, as well as Barneys etc. There's been some interest in these so here's a rundown of what I picked up tonite:

It's gonna be in 3 cuts
-Sally (skinniest)
-James (slim, but not bootcut like the jean, has slight taper)
-Hamilton (relaxed slim-ish)

The Hamilton is now available. The Sally and James won't be available for another couple weeks approx.

Picked up my Hamiltons today in size 32. Normally wear a 31 in the Hamilton selvage jean (30 in Paul Smith red ear, 29 in APC and Jean Shop, 31 in Nudie for reference)

The 31s fit, but just felt too tight for chinos so going up to 32 felt *just right*. The fabric is not your typical cotton diagonal twill...it's from deadstock material and has a much heavier feel than the everyday chino twill.

Measurements based on size 32
-waistband 16" across
-hips 20"
-thigh 11.75"
-knee 8.5
-hem 8.5
-front rise 9.5"
-inseam is 35 I think (this is their default inseam on jeans). I had mine hemmed to my oddball highwater length with a 2" cuff sewn down, but my recollection of it pre-hemming was that it seemed around 34-5"

The Hamilton measurements are in sync with a standard slim fitting pant of that size. I'd imagine the James will be the same on the top block but probably taper down to around 7.5-7.75 for the hem

I took some pics but my camera battery died so I'll upload them later tonite. Maybe some fit pics tomorrow

They retail for $140.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That 9.5" front rise (on a rather average-Joe-ish size 32) is just tasty.... mmmhhh

chanimal

Reaction score
they sound great, looking forward to some pics.......just wondering what colour did you end up with ??? from what i hear they come in black and khaki

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Awesome, and thanks for the report. I think I'll be ordering a pair tomorrow.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I got the tan khaki (and black is the other color avail)

here are some quick snapshots

chinosru8.jpg

I'm looking forward to the James version...I think that will be their best one, for those who want a *true* slimfit chino

the Hamilton is gonna be good if you want a relaxed leg but slim thru the hips. That's usually my biggest gripe about "slimfit chinos"...the leg opening is fine, but they're still too big around the hip/thigh for it to be truly slimfitting

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when you say barneys will these be going to the coops too?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ not sure...I know Barneys is one of their bigger accounts but I don't know how the distribution works within their system. I'll try to find out for you.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look like a "must-buy" for me. I'm going to wait for the James photos however.

I'm assuming that the James will fit like a Slim Jim whereas the Hamilton will fit like a Straight Sven?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Those look like denim...almost like workpants. Pretty heavy.

exactly, I would almost call them workpants moreso than chinos...but that is how Crate is marketing them.

Originally Posted by Notreknip
I'm assuming that the James will fit like a Slim Jim whereas the Hamilton will fit like a Straight Sven?

you got it right. Hamilton is def like Sven or Rescue

as soon as the James is ready I'll have detailed info on it, and fit pics

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
exactly, I would almost call them workpants moreso than chinos...but that is how Crate is marketing them.

Kind of like Dickies?

Will the Forum SS discount apply to these?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yea sort of like a luxe version of Dickies

I'm nearly positive that Secret Service will give you the SF discount on these if you tell them you are from here.

I wouldnt do any sizing down on these. order your "true" size, whatever you think that is. If you wear Nudies, and do the one size down, order one size larger for these from the Nudie size. (I wear Nudie 31 and my Crates are 32) I think these will feel too tight if you don't, but YMMV of course.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
^^ not sure...I know Barneys is one of their bigger accounts but I don't know how the distribution works within their system. I'll try to find out for you.

cool. im def interested but would prefer to try on in store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics