• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping Shirt Tucked in Neatly

jeskali

Reaction score
So I have my shirts custom made and they fit terrificly (is that a word?). However, even though I tuck them into my underwear, I cannot get them to stop pulling out and blousing in the back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your shirttails may not be long enough. Mine are cut two inches longer than my suitcoats. Also, I've found that shirts which are closely fitted at the waist seem to stay tucked better than a fuller cut waist as the resulting flair in the tail acts to 'anchor' the shirttail.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really hard to say anything for sure without pictures, but...

Is it possible that your shirts don't fit quite as terrifically as you thought? Maybe you should increase the waist size and then put darts in the back, if that's where the loose fabric is.

But I also think that on a normal human body in motion throughout the day, it's impossible to keep a shirt *perfectly* tucked and pose-ready.

EasyGoing

Reaction score
I had a college professor who tucked his shirts into his tidy whities. I know because he waslked into class with three distinct layers showing around his belt. The two inches of white were not pretty.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Mine are cut two inches longer than my suitcoats.

Do they double as dressing gowns?

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EasyGoing
I had a college professor who tucked his shirts into his tidy whities. I know because he waslked into class with three distinct layers showing around his belt. The two inches of white were not pretty.

yikes

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
when you reach, you need several more inches of length. the only available cloth is below your belt.

the.chikor

Reaction score
I agree with other replies-it sounds like your shirt tails maybe too short. However, you are stuck with the shirts already in your possession; and to keep them from riding up, you can use garder straps that attach to your socks and the other end to your shirt tails. I used to buy them at the PX in the service. We used them for honor guard detail with our class A (dress) uniforms. This little item worked very well, however, it is a pain in the rear end to put them on every day. Your shirts will look perfectly "tucked" into your pants and will not "ride up." So, for your next batch of shirts, try something a little bit longer, but for your current shirts, take a look for these garder straps-or whatever they are called. Check the internet-you will find them. I hope this helps.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get some of that elastic grip tape sewn into the waistband of your trousers.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you tuck your shirt into your underwear?

As already pointed out, I think your shirt is too short.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Try more tailored fit shirts or the rubbery material that others have suggested.

valejo

Reaction score
Request your tailor to sew lead shot in to the bottom seem of the shirt :).

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jeskali;860756 said:
. However, even though I tuck them into my underwear, I cannot get them to stop pulling out and blousing in the back. /QUOTE]

Your underwear isn't tight enough.

Try Spanx.

lefty

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you wearing undershirts?

Tuck your undershirt into your jockeys and make sure it is pulled down as much as possible so that the undershirt cloth lies as flat against your skin as possible. Now, tuck your shirt in normally. The friction between the shirt and the elastic band of your jockeys will keep your shirt tucked in.

You might need to retire to the restroom once during the middle of the day to check your tuck and your gig line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads