• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks brothers

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since Parsons brought up the topic of Brooks Brothers in the last post, it reminded me to post this, which I'd been meaning to do for a while. What is everyones take on the quality, price, and look of thier clothes? Recently I bought a pair of flat front wrinkle free chinos there for my business casual waredrobe, and I was very impressed with the quality and price ($55). I know their clothes aren't the most fashion foward, but I think they have the best quality
tongue.gif
rice ratio for business wear. I wouldn't wear thier stuff to a club or to hang out, but for business I feel they are unparalleled for that price range. Certainly better than Men's Warehouse.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
I think their clothes have a very nice look. While it may not be "fashion forward," the look is classic and a very good one for the business look. I found most of their pricing fine - some a little high, but overall, a good deal.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah, Brooks Brothers....one of the great tragedies of the american retail business. once a great purveyor of style and american-classic elegance, it is only a shadow of its former self. that being said, i still never miss a trip there when in chicago or even in certain shopping malls (hey, you never know what you might dig up).

personally, i would only consider brooks for (as mentioned) business casual clothing, or for your 'first suit' and tie needed for a new job or interview. the style is conservative and businesslike (even the casualwear), and never really out of place.

the one item Brooks Brothers invented, but has degraded in quality due to mass production in the 3rd world, is the button down collar shirt. if anyone is considering buying this classic, skip brooks and get a good one from Ben Silver.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers has undergone several ownership changes recently and also a significant image transformation in an attempt to grab a more youthful demographic; in my opinion, it's now less J. Press and more J. Crew.  The general consensus is that quality has gone downhill in the past several years.  That being said, I think it's fine for the business casual office and situations where more casual wear is called for (a summer pool party, for example).  While Brooks isn't "fashion forward," it isn't going to be out of style next season either.  It (not Ralph Lauren or Tommy Hilfiger) is the true guardian of the classic American preppy look.

jst

Reaction score
I was just in a Brooks Brothers outlet/factory store here in one of the suburbs of Cleveland (yes, I know, not a fashion mecca by any means) and I would really suggest that avenue for some bus. cas. wear. I think the quality is still admirable and the look is classic and conservative, perfect for the stylish number-cruncher. I do consider their retail prices a bit high, but the outlets were much more fairly priced. Most polo's for about $20, and button downs were 3 for $99. You're not going to wow anyone with most of their line, but you will find a solid addition to your bus. cas. wardrobe for a very reasonable price.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
jst:

I'd beg to differ on Cleveland being a fashion mecca. IMO there are more and better specialty store choices there per capita than anywhere else in the U.S. E-mail me if you'd like a list...

Steve B.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was checking out the BB Spring 2011 preview on GQ and was pleasantly surprised with the shoes that were showcased. Including the following: 1.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg
Love number 3. I don't see too many shoes in that color and its a freakiing longwing! Number 4 looks interesting. Black calf/scotchgrain? I spoke with a BB call center rep and she told me that the black cordovan longwing will not be reordered by BB. I bought the shoe during the holiday sale when it was $50 off plus 15 percent. Unfortunately its 1/2 size too big and my size is out of stock.
ffffuuuu.gif
Yeah, its an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one.

coolshoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
the one item Brooks Brothers invented, but has degraded in quality due to mass production in the 3rd world, is the button down collar shirt. if anyone is considering buying this classic, skip brooks and get a good one from Ben Silver.

I find Ben Silver's BD shirts, and that company's shirts in general, to be a real mixed bag. Ben Silver's OCBDs in particular can be pretty crappy clothwise, especially when you consider the price point. The quality of the sewing is inconsistent, sometimes great ... sometimes amazingly mediocre. When they use beautiful fabrics and the sewing is good, they can be exquisite. At the price Ben Silver charges for a shirt, they should always be exquisite.

All things considered, the Brooks Brothers Classic Cotton OCBD ... which is made in the United States ... is a better shirt than Ben Silver's average OCBD, and can be bought at a fraction of the BS price. The BB collar roll is superior to BS as well. That said, Brooks quality doesn't come close to Ben Silver's best shirts no matter what the collar style. You just have to figure out which ones they are.

Nogginn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike C.
Since Parsons brought up the topic of Brooks Brothers in the last post, it reminded me to post this, which I'd been meaning to do for a while. What is everyones take on the quality, price, and look of thier clothes?

Recently I bought a pair of flat front wrinkle free chinos there for my business casual waredrobe, and I was very impressed with the quality and price ($55). I know their clothes aren't the most fashion foward,

They were never meant to be. They're basically somewhat "classic" clothes.

but I think they have the best quality
tongue.gif
rice ratio for business wear. I wouldn't wear thier stuff to a club or to hang out,
It depends on the club. The 21 Club?

but for business I feel they are unparalleled for that price range. Certainly better than Men's Warehouse.

btw, I really don't know Men's Warehouse but I happened to be searching for an item I couldn't find. Oddly enough I found it on Men's Warehouse for 1/2 the price and no shipping charges. It's not something that 99% of the people would buy but it's odd that they just happened to have one in stock.

Nogginn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
Was checking out the BB Spring 2011 preview on GQ and was pleasantly surprised with the shoes that were showcased. Including the following:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

Love number 3. I don't see too many shoes in that color and its a freakiing longwing!

Number 4 looks interesting. Black calf/scotchgrain? I spoke with a BB call center rep and she told me that the black cordovan longwing will not be reordered by BB. I bought the shoe during the holiday sale when it was $50 off plus 15 percent. Unfortunately its 1/2 size too big and my size is out of stock.
ffffuuuu.gif

Yeah, its an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one.

A bunch of wingtips?
lol8[1].gif

Get some good slip ons. Even George Washington was wearing a Gucci type bespoke shoe with a silver buckle on it.
These lace up shoes are a leftover from the late Victorian uptight era.
facepalm.gif

Costanza

Reaction score
I was in a BB for the first time a couple of weeks ago. My impression was that the cheaper stuff lacked appeal and the expensive such seemed a tad too much. No sale.

Costanza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
Was checking out the BB Spring 2011 preview on GQ and was pleasantly surprised with the shoes that were showcased. Including the following:

<snip>
3.jpg

<snip>
Love number 3. I don't see too many shoes in that color and its a freakiing longwing!

<snip>

What size are those? They look a mile long.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a ton of stuff from bb, i like most of it but the quality is not consistent, my merino wool and camel hair sweaters are great so are the golden fleece shirts, but some of the non iron shirts are on the weak side. the list is longer but boring, you get the idea. also i dont know when i bought each item, the quality issues may stem from the ownership of the store at the time

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bumping a nine year old thread with only a few posts instead of starting a new one? Whaaaaa....?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads