• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTD with tipping in Hong Kong

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
I read about tipping in UK on thread from 2004. What do you think about Hong Kong with "UK" influence? Am I wrong with the general impression?

1) In the states, you may include tip in the credit charge. I think they react strangely to that there.

2) I don't get the point about these mid-priced restaurant (experience in TST Ocean terminal) which automatically charge gratuity, but then those waiters/waitresses stand there as if expecting an extra tip after so-so service. My thing is either don't charge that crap and I give 10-20% to them or restaurant charges the gratuity and tell those bozzos to keep expectation low for extra tips.

Regardless if the custom is to pay extra in addition to the automatic gratuity, I would tell them to f-off every time.

Karo

Reaction score
Heres what I know from experience. ****** place you don't give ****. Decent restaurants in TST or CWB you might leave the coins and take the bills. If I pay by credit card, I don't put in an amount for the tip. Don't worry, I have not been charged anything extra in my cc statements. You might want to pay a little bit of gradituity if you're going to those above average restaurants like in Soho or admiralty.

The server stands there is due to the culture I think, might give you some pressure to leave the change. What I do sometimes is tell them to leave it on the table. The longer you stay here the less tip you pay, and I'm not the stingy type.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Karo
Heres what I know from experience. ****** place you don't give ****. Decent restaurants in TST or CWB you might leave the coins and take the bills. If I pay by credit card, I don't put in an amount for the tip. Don't worry, I have not been charged anything extra in my cc statements. You might want to pay a little bit of gradituity if you're going to those above average restaurants like in Soho or admiralty. The server stands there is due to the culture I think, might give you some pressure to leave the change. What I do sometimes is tell them to leave it on the table. The longer you stay here the less tip you pay, and I'm not the stingy type.
I believe that TST restaurant was above average. But why pay gratuity over pre-charged gratuity? I say that even if the service was good, let alone the service and food were mediocre that time. These are onsite servers...It's not like that pizza boy delivery thread from 2007 with their flawed argument about the gas and car maintenance cost. To refute the argument for extra tip over automatic delivery charge as a motivation for good service, I am not an ultra-superficial bastard so I feel the basic quality of the service has to do with their character make-up and attitude towards their job rather than tip-based motivation. Plus if they want to argue that the gratuity charge is diluted before the money flows down to them, then form a union and take a stance with their boss (modify the automatic gratuity or cancel that so they get the whole tip) or get another job. Fine, if they admit they have a crappy job with poor base salary and are manipulated by their bosses, then I will give them extra tip over the pre-charged stuff regardless of the quality of their service "just because"... as a charity for beggars with an ironic sense of entitlement.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
other than leaving behind coinage, I dont tip in HK

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, you are reading too much into the server's behaviour. How does a server standing near your table (which I would chalk up to serving culture) get translated into your yammering about unions, beggers and saying they should get a new job?

And your comment about, "Regardless if the custom is to pay extra in addition to the automatic gratuity, I would tell them to f-off every time." is Douche. I capitalized it because it is extra douche. If that were their custom (which it isn't), then so be it. Their customs weren't developed to suit your overanalyzing tastes. Would you not play along with other local customs or just this one? Would you play along in Europe or the US, but just not here?

When I'm in HK, small diner/cafes get nothing or coinage. Nicer places will frequently add in service, which is all they get. Mid level, maybe 10% if I liked the service.

K

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Dude, you are reading too much into the server's behaviour. How does a server standing near your table (which I would chalk up to serving culture) get translated into your yammering about unions, beggers and saying they should get a new job?

And your comment about, "Regardless if the custom is to pay extra in addition to the automatic gratuity, I would tell them to f-off every time." is Douche. I capitalized it because it is extra douche. If that were their custom (which it isn't), then so be it. Their customs weren't developed to suit your overanalyzing tastes. Would you not play along with other local customs or just this one? Would you play along in Europe or the US, but just not here?

When I'm in HK, small diner/cafes get nothing or coinage. Nicer places will frequently add in service, which is all they get. Mid level, maybe 10% if I liked the service.

K

Nah, I don't think I am reading too much because I was from Hong Kong myself and I feel I can read into these nuances. Just because that's the way it is, don't mean I have to agree with it. If the custom is 50% on top of the automatic gratuity, would you pay it "just because"? I am sure you won't be going to HK anytime soon... unless it's on the company's bill. (Ah... the morality on the give and take of putting charges on the company bill is another great topic. No doubt.)

My non-specific point (not just HK) with the yammering about unions is a server's job is too provide a basic good service and the expectation for good tipping is... an expectation. As for: "Their customs weren't developed to suit your overanalyzing tastes." Well, if you get down and dirty, what sector does their occupation belong to? The service sector. So you are trying to tell me that, an "overanalyzing" person (which I am not) have to change my behavior and "underanalyze" while paying for a service.

As for a douche.. A douche is someone who spit in your food when you don't pay tips. Not saying they will do that, but Hong Kong dudes are just as well-mannered as the next one. Also, "tell them to f-off" is a figure of speech as I probably will just ignore them. Ummm...Not only will I tell them to f-off as I will pull out a pile of 1000 dollar bills and throw them into the server's face. Yeah really? As for UK and USA factor, USA B&M restaurants don't usually have add-in fee unless beyond mid level or large party and as I am fine with paying tips myself even at chinese fast food places/ noodle shops. As far as I know, I don't think they stand around your table for tips since at least they act like their focus is not on collecting the tip. I have no personal comment on UK as I have limited experience there.

I agree with your last paragraph. Like you said, mid level - 10% if you liked the service. But, liking a service is very subjective. very.

I have nothing more to add. You can say I am uptight or whatever.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee
I have nothing more to add. You can say I am uptight or whatever.

You're uptight

K

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
You're uptight

K

Thanks. People say that about me.
smile.gif

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deputamadre
HK is China. Chinese don't tip. I don't tip (in China).
Really? Not saying everybody in china spit, but spitting seems part of the culture. Do you check your food? Or collusion makes tipping unnecessary? jk

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Hong Kong, the automatic 10% gratuity, goes to the owner of the restaurant. They give nothing to the servers. Tips go to the servers and are split. I usually tip an extra 10% especially at low to middle cost restaurants, because 1) they often appreciate it more and 2) its cheap. Dinner at an Ocean Terminal kind of place is next to nothing, 10% of next to nothing is really next to nothing.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee
Really? Not saying everybody in china spit, but spitting seems part of the culture. Do you check your food? Or collusion makes tipping unnecessary? jk
During the '90s, there was a fad for tipping as it seemed very Western and extravagant, but as is the natural cycle of fads, it has died. Nobody tips in China, and lots of people do spit. In the old days, every well-appointed living room had spittoons between the sofas and chairs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads