• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by buttonman
after lurking around here and at SF, it seems that most people try to get awesome fades and contrast, and flathead seems to be the winner in the category.

but i'm wondering what's the toughest jean to get fades on? i love the dark raw feel and would like to keep it for as long as possible. i hear that iron hearts are pretty tough, any others i should consider?

45rpm, PBJ, 5ep (non-SF variety), etc. are notorious for their anti-fading properties.

amlai

Reaction score
but i'm wondering what's the toughest jean to get fades on? i love the dark raw feel and would like to keep it for as long as possible.
I'm not sure you'll get the texture of raw to stay around for a long time, but with just about any of the natural indigo jeans you probably won't get much of a fade. Most are dipped so many times that the indigo goes almost all the way to the core.

buttonman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amlai
I'm not sure you'll get the texture of raw to stay around for a long time, but with just about any of the natural indigo jeans you probably won't get much of a fade. Most are dipped so many times that the indigo goes almost all the way to the core.

true, but after seeing so many pics of jeans being worn to a bleached white, it kinda reminds me of those crappy pre-distressed denim that are sand blasted to hell, which is pretty repulsive to me. i dont really mind about the raw texture going away, just as long as it stays dark with only subtle fades

buttonman

Reaction score
i also hear that there's not really a noticeable difference between natural indigo vs synthetic indigo, according to SuFu's encyclopedia

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
true, but after seeing so many pics of jeans being worn to a bleached white, it kinda reminds me of those crappy pre-distressed denim that are sand blasted to hell, which is pretty repulsive to me. i dont really mind about the raw texture going away, just as long as it stays dark with only subtle fades

Just never wash them...Dry cleaning + good denim =
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

amlai

Reaction score
i also hear that there's not really a noticeable difference between natural indigo vs synthetic indigo, according to SuFu's encyclopedia

Right... it's just that since the threads are dyed almost to the core, you have to wear down a lot more of the surface in order to get any noticeable fade.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
what would come out with sicker fades
thin finns in dry stretch or some new cures?
i was some super tapered jeans and cant decide between the two.

i think thin finns are cut a bit looser in the thighs which would probably be better for me. any thoughts?

I don't have much experience w/ nudies, but I can definately vouch for my Dior MIJ raws retaining their color (with more wear, no less), than my APC new cures did.

buttonman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
Just never wash them...Dry cleaning + good denim =
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

wish i could do that but considering i'm still in school, i don't really get the chance to go to the dry cleaners

5ep, pbj, 45rpm, iron heart, any other suggestions?

amlai

Reaction score
5ep, pbj, 45rpm, iron heart, any other suggestions?

I would have to guess SDA's SD-103XX or SD-101XX would also be candidates as they're dipped in natural indigo 24 times (or so I recall reading).

jessetk313

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the PBJ xx-007? I am trying to figure out what size to get and if the rise is ball bustingly low? I know BIG has measurements on their site but I've seen a couple pics of people wearing them and they didn't seem to be the 9inch Rise like BIG says. So im kind of confused. Anyone can offer any help to me just PM me or post back here. Thanks I would really appreciate it. BTW, Im about 5'7-5'8 165 wear a 30 in RRDS 29 in APC if that means anything.

np99sky

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this. I'm looking to purchase a pair of straight jeans, with black Kicking Mule Workshop 1980s, some straight rag & bone indigo, or nudie regular ralf dry selvage indigo.

Straight svens look okay too. Are there any preferences on this board for any of those?

How long does it take to wear jeans in? Also, when washing to maintain shape, is this a problem when working with dry indigo? Should I just get it dry-cleaned?

Thanks much, sorry for all the questions. I'll try to research on my own.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bring The Noise
could you elaborate please

21cm are going to be a tad less fitted all the way around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads