• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camel hair blazers

del4

Reaction score
How are camel hair blazers usually worn? I'm 37 years old and I am conservitive stylewise. I am looking for something casual to throw over a nice polo or sport shirt. Is this what I am looking for?

I just lost 90 lbs and starting school, I'm doing the mid-life crisis re-inventing myself thing. I need you guys to hold my hand through the style part of it. Thanks for your help.

Del

Mookie

Reaction score
I have a camelhair blazer, and am similarly in the process of reinventing myself after a massive weight loss (I've dropped 110 pounds now, and would like to lose the final 30...).

Mine is a standard tan color camelhair; I tend to wear it casually, typically with brighter colored polo shirts (bright blue works well) and usually dark brown corduroy pants. Wool doesn't match up as well in my eye, but I know that others will disagree.

I will also pair it with dark indigo jeans, for which it works well.

satorstyle

Reaction score
Camel hair blazer always IMO trend toward the conservative, most often worn with navy or brown slacks. A awesome casual sport coat that doesn't miss is a windowpane plaid in a nice color and pattern, also brick red sport coats look great with jeans or cords.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Camel Hair blazers, but don't recall ever seeing one mentioned here. Perhaps this forum is bit too hip. I mean no disrespect in saying that, but I'm 43 and my likes might not equal those of a 23 year old. I mentioned to my secretary that I was considering a camel hair blazer and she said they were for old men (and she's an old woman).

The traditional tan color is very versatile, but I can't see wearing it over a polo shirt as to me, it seems like a fall winter type of jacket. For a first jacket, I'd pick a blue blazer for sure. If you already have a blue blazer, a tweed jacket would be very versatile and could be worn with tie or jeans.

Do some searching on this forum and you'll learn a great deal. Welcome.

thomaus247

Reaction score
Yeah, Del, that is what you are looking for. A camel hair blazer is great with sport shirts, over brown or grey flannels and over jeans. I think they tend to work better without a tie. When you add a tie, must be something natty like a silk knit, the look goes towards the professorial (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Tom

del4

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. I was thinking about the tweed jacket and I already own the navy blue. I was wanting something for spring.

Congrats Mookie, I'm shooting for another 30 as well.

Thanks again.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 54. and growing up I only saw camel hair blazers on guys who where 1) very conservative and 2) 15 years older than me. They always wore them with a white shirt, rep tie and gray pants. This applied to the New York City area and San Francisco, California.

I can see a guy take almost any traditional preppy item and wear it in an updated, cool manner with the exception of a camel hair blazer. To me that is like wearing white shoes and a white belt or a leisure suit.

I like camel hair for long coats, but blazers, no.

Mookie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I'm 54. and growing up I only saw camel hair blazers on guys who where 1) very conservative and 2) 15 years older than me. They always wore them with a white shirt, rep tie and gray pants. This applied to the New York City area and San Francisco, California.

I can see a guy take almost any traditional preppy item and wear it in an updated, cool manner with the exception of a camel hair blazer. To me that is like wearing white shoes and a white belt or a leisure suit.

I like camel hair for long coats, but blazers, no.

I'm just under half your age (I'm 26) and I'm going to have to disagree with you; I think they can be done well.

Below are two photos of myself from earlier in the week (click for larger). The turtleneck is some cotton no-name thing in burgundy, and the jeans are your basic dark indigo 501s. Not shown are the chocolate bucks. The angle is a little weird, because my tripod is only so tall.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in my early 30s and wear a camelhair blazer often, both casually and a bit more dressed-up. I didn't realize that it was considered an ultra-conservative item, as that is not how I usually dress.

Here is a photo of me before a recent business-casual client meeting (so perhaps I was in a more conservative mode):

picresized_1201406700_camelhair.jpg

Siwash

Reaction score
I bought a Navy camelhair Arnold Brant jacket from STP, it is much heavier than the same jacket in Cashmere,it is VERY warm, not sure if all camelhair is that heavy???

Anyways I wear it with grey tweed slacks,charcoal flannel,and some tan slacks. As versatile as any navy jacket IMO except for the wieght which makes it a late fall,winter wear only.

Hope this helps.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of off-topic, but I have a camel-coloured heavy wool jacket that's fairly tight with waist suppression. I wear it with jeans, charcoal, or dark brown trousers and shirts with simple patterns like butcher stripes. It gets compliments.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are a 40R or 44R I have camel hair/linen/silk suits for sale that could fit your needs.

The linen/silk in the mix makes it great for spring/summer time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads