• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military?

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I guess that's one way to put it..... I was a light infantryman, essentially in reconosance and swat.

Sorry about that. I was actually going to delete that post, but it was quoted very quickly, so there was little point. I've just read at between the lines on different posts and came to that assumption. No harm meant. Still... It sounds like a very interesting career that you've lead, albeit quite dangerous. I've personally considered the Foreign Legion at times.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
Sorry about that. I was actually going to delete that post, but it was quoted very quickly, so there was little point. I've just read at between the lines on different posts and came to that assumption. No harm meant. Still... It sounds like a very interesting career that you've lead, albeit quite dangerous. I've personally considered the Foreign Legion at times.

no sweat. I don't know if I'd call it a career or something to do while I grew enough brain to settle down,

yeah, I seriously thought about the forign legion for a while - at least you get a EU passport from that.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crease
I know this might be the wrong place to be asking this, but since there's so many people here I thought I'd give it a shot.

Does anyone here have any experience with the military?

I'm beginning to evaluate whether I will decide to enlist after I graduate. Either in JAG or the air force.

Thanks.

I served 4 years 1998-2002 in the Marine Corps. While I don't recommend joining at the present time, you shouldn't have too much to worry, especially if you're looking to go law. Specialized degrees are not treated the same as someone with a degree in business. People who are equipped to practice law or medicine on the outside, are likely going to be placed in the same field.

I would likely choose the Airforce over the Navy, however they tend to be a bit more selective on the officer side, due to high retention.

The Pros:

1. Well taken care of (benefits), especially from the officer side. Everything is paid, or given an allowance for.
2. You could retire, receive an outstanding pension, and still go on to work in the civilian sector before reaching the age 50.

The Cons:

!. The government owns you.

Neither the Navy or AF would have you in combat, especially given your interest in practicing law, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^

The Navy supplies corpsmen who can serve in combat areas. Also, the Navy's biggest need is shore patrol for Gitmo, and that's where they are putting everyone who enlists now. They don't always mention that to you when you sign up.

The Air Force has people stationed in the war areas as well.

So, yes, odds are better in Navy/AF for more pleasant duty, but no guarantees.

As far as placing you in your field of experience, the needs of the military still govern. I was "guaranteed" a spot that involved typing. Halfway through basic training, they told me I needed to pass the test (35 wpm) right then and there, on an ancient typewriter that lacked both an "f" and an "e."

I **** you not.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tiger02 did something with the military IIRC, you'll have to check with him about what and when/if he is still doing it.

JB

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
globetrotter when were you in the IDF?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
globetrotter when were you in the IDF?

end of lebanon war, begining of first intafadah.

crease

Reaction score
The backgrounds of some members on SF are very interesting.
Thanks for all of your replies.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Tiger02 did something with the military IIRC, you'll have to check with him about what and when/if he is still doing it.

I'll PM him this thread and see if we can get his ass out from underneath a six-foot-two eastern European hooker...but from memory Tom did two tours of Iraq as penance for his ROTC-sponsored education.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so that is when 1982? i was just wondering because i have lots of family and friends go through and just wondering if you may have served with any. but i think 1982 would be too early for anyone i know personally.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
so that is when 1982? i was just wondering because i have lots of family and friends go through and just wondering if you may have served with any. but i think 1982 would be too early for anyone i know personally.

pm sent

Mblova

Reaction score
Enlist in the Navy. Go BUD/S

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been in the US Navy since 1990 and am an officer. I haven't seen anything in this thread that is off-base. As a lawyer, you would spend your time doing legal stuff and have very little contact with the business end of a rifle.

The way it works in the US is that lawyers are commissioned at the rank of a CAPT or LT (O-3) to attempt to give a little higher financial incentive for joining. The majority of lawyers are involved either in the legal problems of their large organization (contracts, lawsuits, etc) or the organization's members. Some are involved in more esoteric matters like the law of war, POW adjudication, law of the sea, etc.

If you still have interest, I would get in touch with your preferred services' legal branch and ask to talk with an officer who does legal recruiting.

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
I have been in the US Navy since 1990 and am an officer. I haven't seen anything in this thread that is off-base. As a lawyer, you would spend your time doing legal stuff and have very little contact with the business end of a rifle.

The way it works in the US is that lawyers are commissioned at the rank of a CAPT or LT (O-3) to attempt to give a little higher financial incentive for joining. The majority of lawyers are involved either in the legal problems of their large organization (contracts, lawsuits, etc) or the organization's members. Some are involved in more esoteric matters like the law of war, POW adjudication, law of the sea, etc.

If you still have interest, I would get in touch with your preferred services' legal branch and ask to talk with an officer who does legal recruiting.

Sir,

Do you have any knowledge of USUHS?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads