• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you get treated differently in public w/your nice clothes than without?

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Hello SFmembers,

Apologies if this is a rehashed thread. Just wanted to start a new one.

Do you see a significant change in how you are treated with what you wear?

I have some very clear distinctions w/not only what I wore, but who I was.

1)Hugo Boss Store(Glendale, CA)

I went in there, wearing a t-shirt and jeans and just went to look at their line of suits out of curiousity(because I also own one).

The salesguy walks to me and says "Umm..can I help you?"
me - "Yes I would like to look at this pinstriped suits"
sg - "WELL..normally people w/familiar w/our suits know their jacket size"
me - "yes...42 regular"

He reluctantly puts it on, and says "Oh well..what do you know.exact fit."

I did come in the next day IN my hugo boss suit and dropped my business card to the guy's manager and bought some socks =)

That guy was a JERK for profiling me and treating me as such.

2) Alden Store (Union Square, San Francisco)

I was "window" shopping outside, and the sales guy inside gave me "DO NOT COME IN" look. I was dressed in a suit too! (but I didn't fit the complexion he preferred..I'm of mixed descent). This is not 1967. This is 2007.

I proceed to walk in anyway, and I ask the salesperson "I'd like to look at some size 11 cordovan loafers."

SG -"I'm sorry sir, we don't have those in your particular size" (as I notice size 11's all around the showroom...)

Me - "Oh..IC"

SG - "Perhaps, you'd be more comfortable at Nordstrom?'

Me - "I'm comfortable everywhere..thank you"

Elitest and racially profiled snub. Never went back again. No use in complaining.
His boss was like him.

3)Nordstrom(SF Center Westfield Shopping Center)

Went to buy some cologne. 2 of my buddies came w/me.
We all went separately. We didn't intend do this, but after the first part,
we decided to prove a point.

My friends are white, black, and mixed asian(me)(all dressed in suits),

My black friend went to inquire about the cologne. The blonde sales lady in her mid-40s proceeds to tell him there was no special promotion today and that you could only get the bottle. He was taken aback by her abrasiveness.

So my blonde friend went in after him..and he asked for the same thing.
She was ALL smiles and offered him the cologne, plus a 10% discount w/a card and a gift pack w/shower gel. He declined.

I walked in..she offered me the cologne and I only after I INQUIRED about
the gift pack, did she reluctantly give it. I also declined.

Afterwards all 3 of us came into the store together and waved at her.

Never saw a woman turn more beet red.

Overall, in other places, I've been treated better according to my dress.
When I'm in a suit, I've been taken more seriously etc.

But 2 of the three cases above, my ethnicity mattered much more than my style of dress.

Would love to hear your other stories.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
honestly, I've never had such experiences as Holstein described above and I go to the stores quite often

It surprises me that such discriminatory service still exists. esp that Alden story. amazing

and I'm not even white..nor rarely go into stores wearing a suit

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you should have walked into Wilkes Bashford if you REALLY wanted to be treated poorly in SF ;-)

btw,,,why do you care what other think?

(I always dress in jeans and t-shirt when I visit W.B. precisely because they'll leave me alone)

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
you should have walked into Wilkes Bashford if you REALLY wanted to be treated poorly in SF ;-)

(I always dress in jeans and t-shirt when I visit W.B. precisely because they'll leave me alone)

That isn't fair. People at Wilkes are very, very friendly. They sell hard, but they do not treat people badly based on how they look.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1

I dont think it's an issue of caring what the sales think of you, but that they actually act negatively based on how they're thinking

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I dont think it's an issue of caring what the sales think of you, but that they actually act negatively based on how they're thinking

Exactly.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did get snubbed at the Lobb store in the South Coast Plaza the other day. Oh well, I guess the best revenge will come on the day that I can actually drop $1,600 on a pair of Brooklands.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you really wanted to prove a point at Nordstrom, you 3 should have all asked to speak to the manager and asked why the service was disparate. Instead, I'm not exactly sure what you accomplished except making the sales ***** turn red.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
I did get snubbed at the Lobb store in the South Coast Plaza the other day. Oh well, I guess the best revenge will come on the day that I can actually drop $1,600 on a pair of Brooklands.

Which one snubbed you? I don't get the feeling that SCP is a snobby place because there are tons of people who dress like crap and think they can buy style with designer labels. Therefore, each person is a potential sale.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola

huh...what do you consider a "snub"? I just wonder if sometimes guys are overly sensitive about the service they feel is appropriate. I've only been in the SCP Lobb store once and thought they were overly helpful, to the point where I would have preferred being snubbed. and I was wearing jeans, casual b/d..tattoos in full visibility etc. Not exactly the model of a Lobb customer

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and I was wearing jeans, casual b/d..tattoos in full visibility etc. Not exactly the model of a Lobb customer

You scared them.
laugh.gif

satorstyle

Reaction score
Learn to call the corporate offices of these places that give poor service while in the store it works. Profiling exists if one does not fit a perceived image of certain establishments no matter the race. When in "respectable" attire I rarely have an issue but ignorance is still prevalent in our society. I spend where I feel wanted, it's a easy fix.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Which one snubbed you? I don't get the feeling that SCP is a snobby place because there are tons of people who dress like crap and think they can buy style with designer labels. Therefore, each person is a potential sale.

There were two salespersons there, an Asian gentleman and a brunette (Latina looking) lady. Wanted to ask a question about the Brooklands and couldn't get either to make eye contact with me so I skedaddled to Macys where I really belong . It's all good - I really try not to take these things personally.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
huh...what do you consider a "snub"? I just wonder if sometimes guys are overly sensitive about the service they feel is appropriate. I've only been in the SCP Lobb store once and thought they were overly helpful, to the point where I would have preferred being snubbed. and I was wearing jeans, casual b/d..tattoos in full visibility etc. Not exactly the model of a Lobb customer

You could be right - it's all in the perception of service. I do agree with you that sometimes I prefer less attention than more attention when shopping for goods.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads