• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you have nice clothes, do you need a nice car?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tiberias
If I had a bottomless wallet, I think I'd lean toward distinctive cars that you rarely see, even if their price tags aren't as impressive. It's the classic cars of the 60's, 70's, and early 80's that you simply don't see any more, and that would make more of a statement than the latest factory-standard luxury sedan.

You think of this:

BMW 3.0 CSL
Porsche 911 2.7, like the colour
smile.gif

TheGreek

Reaction score
In my opinion, when I see someone in a suit getting in or out of a non-luxury car, first thing that pops into mind is : cheap insurance salesman/or encyclopedia salesman. When you have an expensive car/truck you can basically wear whatever you want, and it dont look bad. But when you have a cheap American car, wearing an expensive suit, you might as well be wearing a clown suit, because thats how your being viewed. Now, if you dont care what people think, thats great, more power to you. This may sound shallow, but Im entitled to my opinion, as you are to yours.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheGreek
In my opinion, when I see someone in a suit getting in or out of a non-luxury car, first thing that pops into mind is : cheap insurance salesman/or encyclopedia salesman. When you have an expensive car/truck you can basically wear whatever you want, and it dont look bad. But when you have a cheap American car, wearing an expensive suit, you might as well be wearing a clown suit, because thats how your being viewed. Now, if you dont care what people think, thats great, more power to you. This may sound shallow, but Im entitled to my opinion, as you are to yours.
What would you think of somebody getting out of this in a nice suit?
smart-swatch-car-38.4.jpg

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter
My wife and I own these cars.

Lexus SC430
Mercedes CLS550
Lamborghini Gallardo
Honda Civic LX

Wife drives the SC430. I drive the civic to commute.
We take the CLS550 when we go to events

We NEVER take out the gallardo. Too scared right now(just got it).

I would have to agree w/balance.

If you have a 5000 dollar suit w/a 5000 car...there's no balance.
If you have 50,000 car and a 500/suit...no balance.

The real statement of wealth is the man
that can dress and drive and live wherever he wants, whenever
he/she wants.

I can't do that (yet).

Regards,

Holstein.

p.s. I also heard that a man's wealth is based on the jewelry of his gf or wife. If that's the case..we're doing alright =) Apparently status for women is a 50,000.00 Hermes diamond croc purse. Wife wants one. We'll see.

Holy Robb Report, Batman!

Although banking...I don't know these days...could be rough times ahead...

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score

That makes a lot of sense.
We do live in a world where what you have can determine how you are treated.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That may be what you think, but most billionaires I've met have driven POS cars and most insurance salesmen lease their Lexus.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Do you live in Long Island?

TheGreek

Reaction score
Here's another question thats related. How serious would you take your lawyer or doctor or stockbrocker if you saw them driving a small economical car?
Or better yet, how serious would you take them if you saw them wearing JC Penny suits?

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter
Wouldn't clothes be considered a depreciating asset as well?

Yes, but not on the order of an expensive car. For the amount the expensive car sets you back, it is one of the most frivolous expenses out there, short maybe of a watch that costs more than the car. I don't mean "frivolous" in a pejorative sense, exactly; only to say that for such a large expense, it's not really an investment. A luxury car could be an investment, but only if you never or very seldom drive it, along the lines of the car in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Come to think of it, the $100,000 watch is probably a better investment than the $100,000 car; it will hold its value through use better.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
There goes your job offer. Other cool oldish cars to have.. The weird-looking Peugeot 405 from the 1980s, though it would need a tow as well. Detomaso (
rolleyes.gif
) Pantera. Damn. "Powered by Ford" sign decreasing sexiness. Triumph TR7 -- pretty rare in US, weird-looking car. I also miss the original J Mays design of the Mercury Cougar in the late 1990s. That was cool.

I've owned some pretty cool older cars in the past that I wish I had kept. All got compliments, double-takes, stories from strangers and "If you want to sell, call ....." notes under the wipers) and were dirt cheap! My favorites are still with me, though in storage....safe from the salt and snow. All bought from the south, shipped up here and needed minimal if no work done. Oh, and we don't have smog tests here in Minnesota!
worship.gif
1980 Buick Skyhawk Roadhawk (bought for $500, $1000 to ship from Calif. to MN - Sold for $4,500 locally) 1980 VW Scirocco (Bought for $450, $1000 shipped from Calif. to MN - still with me) 1981 VW Scirocco (Bought for $3,000...$1000 shipped from Nevada to MN, still with me) 1979 Toyota Celica liftback ($1250 from older guy locally. Never winter driven. Sill have it ). 1976 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT (3,500 + $1k Shipping from Calif - sold for $5,850 locally). 1979 Lancia Beta Coupe ($850 + $500 shipping from Montana, sold for $3,600 to a man from Wisconsin), Aaaah, memories...

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with this and probably would think the same thing. For some reason though I find it amusing that people would have that thought about me. I know I make more than 95% of kids my age so it really doesn't matter to me. Most the people I interact with on a daily basis have never even seen my car and I have a girlfriend so I'm certainly not using it to pick up women.

In terms of depreciation, I buy alot of my clothes used or at deep discounts so I always feel like I could sell them here or on ebay at only a small loss. Its hard to accomplish that with a nice car.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
most billionaires I've met have driven POS cars.
I've seen Buffet in a late model Caddy and Gates in a late model Jag.

jkennett

Reaction score
Here's another question thats related. How serious would you take your lawyer or doctor or stockbrocker if you saw them driving a small economical car?
Or better yet, how serious would you take them if you saw them wearing JC Penny suits?

Doctor? Easily... Have you seen the way most of them dress? As for the car, I would actually think more highly of my doctor driving a Civic Hybrid or Prius than if he were to drive a Benz S600.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
Yes, but not on the order of an expensive car. For the amount the expensive car sets you back, it is one of the most frivolous expenses out there, short maybe of a watch that costs more than the car. I don't mean "frivolous" in a pejorative sense, exactly; only to say that for such a large expense, it's not really an investment. A luxury car could be an investment, but only if you never or very seldom drive it, along the lines of the car in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Come to think of it, the $100,000 watch is probably a better investment than the $100,000 car; it will hold its value through use better.

I'd enjoy the life of the $100K car about a thousand times more than the $100k watch, though.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker

Ah..this lead to another question.

$100,000 watch on a guy in t-shirt and jeans. Unbalanced?

If he's in the 100,000 car also might help but if he's in the 10K car..hmmm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads