• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you have nice clothes, do you need a nice car?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Personally I've found it interesting that a man can be average in dress but drive a vintage Mercedes and look like a million bucks. Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Label King
laugh.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oldish, somewhat offbeat cars I think would be cool to have:

BMW 635csi/L7
Aston DBS from early 1970s
Citroen SM

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Buy a used Jaguar, you'll get there in style.

I have yet to see a stylish tow truck.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would be great, Holstein, don't go out of your way to do it or anything; but I think we all like pictures of good suits and nice cars on SF.

JB

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BMW 635csi/L7
Citroen SM

I've always wanted a vintage 6er. Good choice. Or an E30 M3.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mr. VP,

Personally I'd like to see a picture of your $299 button converted Hugo Boss suit on top of your ride...but thats just me.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter
I also heard that a man's wealth is based on the jewelry of his gf or wife. .
Who told you that, Ernie Oppenheimer.
rolleyes.gif

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Would be great, Holstein, don't go out of your way to do it or anything; but I think we all like pictures of good suits and nice cars on SF.

JB

Not a problem. I'll see what I can do.

I work downtown, and I'm actually weary of bringing a nice car into the city
We do have covered parking at the bank and security, but I still am not
happy w/toting it around town especially in different areas.

So yes, oftentimes you'll see me in my kiton suit, coming out of a boxy Honda Civic.

I admit, it looks awfully unbalanced.

Wife and I had dinner at Scott Howard in North Beach last Saturday and we took the Mercedes.

She was dressed in a valentino dress, and I was wearing a brioni shirt w/blazer and jeans. We really looked sharp and so did our transportation. Very balanced.

And for perspective on the gallardo, the couple in front of us..came out of a Lamborghini LP640. The couple in front of them a mercedes E55.

It's not that unusual in the financial district.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Mr. VP,

Personally I'd like to see a picture of your $299 button converted Hugo Boss suit on top of your ride...but thats just me.

Great choice.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly don't have as nice a wardrobe as some here but I dress well for my age. I could afford a nice car but I still drive the beatup (literally was in an accident and never fixed) 90 Lexus I bought in college for 1k.

I do sometimes feel weird driving around but its basically just a commuter vehicle. Cars are just such a depreciating asset that I can't bring myself to buy a nice one. Its also a good source of laughs for friends and family. I guess I should be self-conscious but for some reason I'm not.

Tiberias

Reaction score

BMW 635csi/L7
Citroen SM

The Delorean.

Personally, I think that there is a surplus of new-ish luxury cars out there, especially since anyone who can fog a mirror can get a $50,000 loan, so you see kids and manual laborers driving ridiculously expensive cars (the bank will eventually repossess it, of course, but for six to twelve months, they are Hummer-ing about in what passes for style among some people.)

If I had a bottomless wallet, I think I'd lean toward distinctive cars that you rarely see, even if their price tags aren't as impressive. It's the classic cars of the 60's, 70's, and early 80's that you simply don't see any more, and that would make more of a statement than the latest factory-standard luxury sedan.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Mr. VP,

There goes your job offer.

Other cool oldish cars to have.. The weird-looking Peugeot 405 from the 1980s, though it would need a tow as well.
Detomaso (
rolleyes.gif
) Pantera. Damn. "Powered by Ford" sign decreasing sexiness.
Triumph TR7 -- pretty rare in US, weird-looking car.
I also miss the original J Mays design of the Mercury Cougar in the late 1990s. That was cool.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
I certainly don't have as nice a wardrobe as some here but I dress well for my age. I could afford a nice car but I still drive the beatup (literally was in an accident and never fixed) 90 Lexus I bought in college for 1k.

I do sometimes feel weird driving around but its basically just a commuter vehicle. Cars are just such a depreciating asset that I can't bring myself to buy a nice one. Its also a good source of laughs for friends and family. I guess I should be self-conscious but for some reason I'm not.

Wouldn't clothes be considered a depreciating asset as well?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads