• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
I'm considering one of these two from http://www.mkiiwatches.com/ I love that the dials are "sterile", that is, logo-less. I'm slightly wary of the size, though, the "length" lug-to-lug is 48 and 50 mm respectively, which may be a lot on my puny wrist. Any experiences/comments as to price/quality?
Originally Posted by Singular
Both med MMT and the Stingray are beautiful homages to two of the most important military diver's watches that have been made (Benrus&Blancpain). The MMT (where I prefer the Type I on a NATO, from an estetic and historic point of view) is a lot slimmer and more "wearable" than the Stingray. The Stingray, on the other hand, is a very nice and chunky old-school watch (but I'd pick another hand/dial combo - the Type I looks best on the Benrus...) as an alternative for Panerai and the like. Lycka till!
smile.gif
/M

Just ordered a custom version of this; the hands are orange (except the lume parts in the middle of them, and the seconds hand has an orange tip). I also ordered a plain crown, without the line across the middle, and AR-coated glass.
bw_us_swiss_400.jpg
CD01W1E2SBB.jpg
bw_back_400.jpg
bw_move_400.jpg
bwlum400.jpg
It's an hommage to this US military diver:
767097d.jpg
767097a.jpg
767097e.jpg

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm really liking the Stowa pictured in the previous page. I particularly like the Antea Black with Date and the Antea Kleine Sekunde (though I prefer a darker face). Anyone willing to give additional background on the brand and comparable competitors (same pricepoint and quality including vintage pieces). The Antea Black w/Date has a very reasonable price I think.

bpanicola

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I'm really liking the Stowa pictured in the previous page. I particularly like the Antea Black with Date and the Antea Kleine Sekunde (though I prefer a darker face). Anyone willing to give additional background on the brand and comparable competitors (same pricepoint and quality including vintage pieces). The Antea Black w/Date has a very reasonable price I think.

You can read plenty about this brand on this forum below where the manufacturer has their own brand forum. The owner of Stowa is on the forum as well.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

You can also read about them on the German watch forum

http://forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

I just bought the Antea KS as I wanted a manual wind and the smaller size is fine on my wrist size. I think they are a great value. All the debate you could ever care for on comparable brands is on the German forum. I am a recent entry in WIS world, so my opinion might be limited.

(Here is a link to a poll on the German site where people voted on their favorite German "mid-tier" watch brands.)
http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=8116

There is plenty on the history of Stowa and how the current owner Jorg Schauer is involved in every aspect of the watch building. A black face Stowa Antea just sold yesterday in less than 12 hours of being posted for $400. (See the post below)

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...ighlight=stowa

Watching that sales forum is a good place to look. Stowa's come up once or twice a month. Most sellers also post on Timezone, though I find that some only post on TimeZone as the seller of my Antea KS did not post it on watchuseek.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...eadt&frm_id=32

TKDKid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5

I really like my Antea KS:

A shame that Stowa don't make any other similarly sized watches, as I'd like to add to my watch collection.

So I have my eye on the Nomos Orion at the moment:

Nomos_Orion_Alpha_Glass-Back_M.jpg
Nomos_Orion_White_Alpha_M.jpg

It's more expensive than the Antea KS, but still very much a poor man's Patek Calatrava...
laugh.gif

It's also available with a black dial:

Nomos_Orion_Anthracite_Alpha_M_2.jpg
Nomos_Orion_Anthracite_Alpha_M.jpg

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
I love Nomos watches myself, can't wait to get one. Am torn between the Orion and the Tangente
frown.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bpanicola, thanks for the ideas. I'll take a look at them.

The Nomos look awesome.

bsblguy31

Reaction score
Here's my Movado Series 800 which is my current every day watch.
movadocloseup.jpg
Movadomediumshot.jpg

sammy

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some nice tonneau shaped watches that are less than 40mm in size? Looking to get one for daily dress wear.

Mister

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
Can anyone recommend some nice tonneau shaped watches that are less than 40mm in size? Looking to get one for daily dress wear.

Patek 5030

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Singular
Nice one, but are you sure that is an automatic? Mine below (in another case style) is handwound, as I thought every 773* is.

/M

****, that's a total typo on my part. It's definitely handwound. Just edited the listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads