• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pink shirts

Bogie

Reaction score
Oh believe me, I know it's popular for modern guys to try to show their inner security by embracing the feminine in themselves and rejecting any gender distinction, but not surprisingly, we're also in the era of the weakest men the world has ever seen. Men isn't even the right term really. Guys reach about a frat house level mentality and most never grow out of it. They go through their lives as sarcastic, cynical smart asses gloating within themselves at their own cleverness, and yet never knowing who they really are. They look for their identity in women, in jobs and money and still never get one bit closer to knowing themselves. And because they don't know who they are, they attach labels to themselves to create a pseudo identity. And thats all that they ever have until the day they die.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bogie
Oh believe me, I know it's popular for modern guys to try to show their inner security by embracing the feminine in themselves and rejecting any gender distinction, but not surprisingly, we're also in the era of the weakest men the world has ever seen. Men isn't even the right term really. Guys reach about a frat house level mentality and most never grow out of it. They go through their lives as sarcastic, cynical smart asses gloating within themselves at their own cleverness, and yet never knowing who they really are. They look for their identity in women, in jobs and money and still never get one bit closer to knowing themselves. And because they don't know who they are, they attach labels to themselves to create a pseudo identity. And thats all that they ever have until the day they die.

You should change avatars; all actors are sissies.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They look for their identity in women, in jobs and money and still never get one bit closer to knowing themselves.
So it would be better if we looked for our identity in what some guy on the internet tells us is and isn't "gay"?

Bogie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
So it would be better if we looked for our identity in what some guy on the internet tells us is and isn't "gay"?

You're reading too much into it and yet not enough. This is about more than just "pink" and about more than just "gay". It's about masculine identity. Does it mean anything to be a man or is it a mere physical descriptor? That's what separates the traditional (which I am) from the modern.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't really think a pink shirt has much effect on whether one is a man.

There are also certain cultures where lots of men wear pink without giving it a thought.

So you're traditional? I take it you're not "Trad" -- those guys might wear a pink OCBD or pink pants with little sailboats all over them without being a bit "Connemara".

Bogie

Reaction score
I don't really think a pink shirt has much effect on whether one is a man.

There are also certain cultures where lots of men wear pink without giving it a thought.

As I said, it's about more than just pink. I overstated in my first post because I didn't expect to have a discourse of any length on the subject, but I think it's fair to say that most of us are from the Americas or Europe. I don't know Europe well enough to speak about it, but in America we are in the process of eliminating all gender distinctions and its a tragedy in my mind.

The traditional is rejected not because it's obsolete by any means, but merely because it's seen as being opposed to the modern. The modern says that it will make it's own way without regard for what preceded it. I think this is foolish. We create new morals, new styles of dress and yes, we blur the line between what a man is and what a woman is. This is what I reject.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Real Men wear flannel, chop wood and only eat steak and eggs for breakfast. Real men don't post on a message board full of dudes talking about clothes.
laugh.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Real Men wear flannel, chop wood and only eat steak and eggs for breakfast.

Like the self-sufficient "I need more, deeper pockets" guy?

Bogie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Real Men wear flannel, chop wood and only eat steak and eggs for breakfast. Real men don't post on a message board full of dudes talking about clothes.
laugh.gif

I've already addressed this when I wrote about "sarcastic, cynical smart asses gloating within themselves at their own cleverness" It's no surprise to see money and women as the highlights of your profile.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've already addressed this when I wrote about "sarcastic, cynical smart asses gloating within themselves at their own cleverness"

It's no surprise to see money and women as the highlights of your profile.

Congratulation on reaching 100 posts. I look forward to reading your edifying posts on the CEsspool forum.

Bogie

Reaction score
Congratulation on reaching 100 posts. I look forward to reading your edifying posts on the CEsspool forum.

Danke, but I'll be staying away from there. Politics is a huge waste of time.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Danke, but I'll be staying away from there. Politics is a huge waste of time.

Well at least we agree on that !

And as about pink and gayness...

Yes, pink is the color for girls. It is deep inside our minds, when a new baby is born, we give them blue clothing if its a boy, pink if it is a girl.

But we are grown up now and can go past that preconception.

Following the same logic, any woman that wears a blue garment is a lesbian ?

I've read somewhere that pink is OK for men, but purple or lavander are the real gay colors as is the mix of blue and pink.

But I like pinks and purples and I wear them a lot.

And you know what ? the girls like it too. I get many compliments from girls about my colors and I get enough p*ssy to keep me healthy.

I'd say, dress to attract what you want to attract.

I am not interested in attracting flanel-shirted frat boys...

ted

Reaction score
I'm gay and I like to wear pink shirts because then there's no question as to if I'm gay or not.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Y'all are giving way too much attention to someone clearly trolling the thread.

Pink can also look very nice in a pocket square, and it's hard to beat it with seersucker, whether in the shirt or tie.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well...I guess I should be glad that my only pink shirt has become worn out and that I have not replaced it (yet)...so at least at present I do not have to bother about someone reading a pseudy identity into it...

(Interestingly, a lot of the quite homophobic right-wing Catholic fundamentalists here in Spain tend to wear pink shirts and ties, often combined with different shades of blue; however, I guess they leave their pink garments at home when travelling to the U.S.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads