• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey vs Canali suit

noVA99

Reaction score
I hit up some outlet stores today. I wanted to get some opinions:

Hickey Freeman, solid black color, Loro Piana wool, 40L, 34W (exactly my size, fits perfect), $599

second suit I saw was:

Canali, tan,beige, 42L,35 W, possible 36W, I think Super 120's wool, $699. This suit fits nicely on the jacket, I would have to get it tapered in a bit (I'm a 40L/41L with an athletic/toned build). The pants fit ok, possible 3/4" taken in, the thighs were a bit bigger than my usual suit pants, the legs were fine. So an extra $100 to $120 to alter this suit to fit me.

I just bought a 40L Canali and it fits me perfect without any alteration (aside from the pant length), however a Canali for $700 is hard to pass up. But the Hickey is nice as well and they seem to be more plentiful at the outlet stores.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think Canali for $700 is that good of a deal, especially if you need to put money into it for alterations. Hickey Freeman is not hard to find around $450, even the outlet store which has sales I believe.

But what are you doing buying a black suit.
devil.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, Canali at $700 is no great bargain. Bluefly has several Canalis right now for $699. If it were a solid in navy or gray, that would command more, but colors and patterns are pretty easy to find on discount. I wouldn't think 40L would be too hard to find on markdown.

The HF is no deal either. Plus, it's black. Even if I were a fan of the black suit, I wouldn't want a HF. The general HF style doesn't seem to match up with the black suit vibe.

Lawman

Reaction score
I agree with the posts. I buy lots of Hickey, and that is no great deal. I recently picked up a solid medium grey on Ebay for $400. Same goes for the Canali.

noVA99

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Yeah, Canali at $700 is no great bargain. Bluefly has several Canalis right now for $699. If it were a solid in navy or gray, that would command more, but colors and patterns are pretty easy to find on discount. I wouldn't think 40L would be too hard to find on markdown.

The HF is no deal either. Plus, it's black. Even if I were a fan of the black suit, I wouldn't want a HF. The general HF style doesn't seem to match up with the black suit vibe.

Bluefly: Right now the Canalis are $1200 with only one style in the $699 range, hence why I assumed $700 was a good deal.

Some of the other posters mentioned buying Canali and HF on ebay for less. I don't know, I wouldn't trust ebay. Is there a particular seller that sells legit brands like Canali and Zegna, new with tags, for cheap??

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

mhdena

Reaction score
A Hickey 40L fits perfect
A Canali 40L fits nicely
A Canali 42L fits perfect

How do 2 sizes fit perfect?
Which Canali size is "really" closest to Hickey?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Canali suits appear to be older ones, model 4XXXXX that have heavier paddings. New Canali suits, model 8XXXXX, actually have a nice cut with soft padding. I would not buy Canali model 4 series suits for $700, but I would buy 8 series suits for $700.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
http://www.bluefly.com/pages/product...atchallpartial

Maybe not your size, but they've got a good selection. Not hard to find at that price.

wedgehead98

Reaction score
Milano - where do you see the model number in the bluefly listing? I only see a style number, e.g., 2052439?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the model number which can be found on the tag inside suit jacket pocket.

Originally Posted by wedgehead98
Milano - where do you see the model number in the bluefly listing? I only see a style number, e.g., 2052439?

noVA99

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mhdena
A Hickey 40L fits perfect
A Canali 40L fits nicely
A Canali 42L fits perfect

How do 2 sizes fit perfect?
Which Canali size is "really" closest to Hickey?

You read my post wrong: The Hickey 40L fits me perfectly, the Canali 40L fits me perfectly. The 42L Canali fits nicely, meaning only the chest is a bit large and sleeve length a bit long as well, and the suit will need a bit of alterations to fit me 'perfectly'. The shoulders are fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads