• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what was your first computer?

rxcats

Reaction score
I still have my first (only) computer that I bought in March of 2000. It is an Apple iMac G3/400 DV Special Edition. See: http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...se_dv_400.html I upgraded it from OS 9 to OSX (Tiger). A friend had an extra upgrade and gave it to me. I also loaded more memory. I would love to buy the new iMac with a 24 inch monitor, but can't justify spending the $$ yet. My old iMac still works fine with the upgrade. I don't do anything but surf the net and email anyway; I hate computer games.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Those are authentic Earth Shoes. In 1975, I was awarded the prestigious Anne Kalso award, for selling the most pairs of Earth Shoes in all of North Dakota!
blush.gif

Earth Shoes were the only shoes that I wore in the 70's. I was a teenager for most of that decade. There was an Earth Shoe store across the street from the Visualite Theatre in Charlotte; my dad owned that theatre during my growing up years.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
Earth Shoes were the only shoes that I wore in the 70's. I was a teenager for most of that decade. There was an Earth Shoe store across the street from the Visualite Theatre in Charlotte; my dad owned that theatre during my growing up years.

What the hell are you two old farts talking about? Earth shoes? ......
confused.gif

scfdefinit

Reaction score
Back in the 90s a Micron PC Desktop. I upgraded to a Sony Vaio desktop in about 2000. Then for college I bought myself a Thinkpad.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
What the hell are you two old farts talking about? Earth shoes? ......
confused.gif

In rxcats defense, I am a certifiable old fart. He is too young. Props for the Earth Shoes, man. I'm actually thinking of buying a pair of the new iteration, but in what they are calling a "classic" style.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dataman

Really a calculator, but dressed-up and given a narrative accompaniment to appeal to kids. And it did to me at the age of 6 or so. After that, Commodore PET, TRS-80 Model II & Model IV, TI-99 4/A, and finally Commodore 64. Then came the 90s...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First computer I ever owned was an HP-150 with a touch screen and two 3 1/2" floppy drives for a total of 600K or so of memory (just the disk drives, it didn't have a hard drive.) That was the first computer ever to use 3 1/2" drives. They were released in 83, my parents bought it for me secondhand a few years later. I mostly used it to play Sargon. We had a few XT's and AT's after that.

First computer I ever worked on was an Apple II in first grade.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Commodore Vic-20. I also had parents who were kind of ahead of their time. It had a cassette drive.

Second was an Apple IIc. Yes, c. Anyone ever even seen one? It was meant to be portable. Yeah, right. It was compact though, as the "c" was meanto to indicate.

Those were the days.

b

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First computer I ever worked on - DEC VAX
First computer I ever owned - C64

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Commodores and Ataris and then one year I got lucky and got a hot little 286 to play with.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm proud to say that my second computer, the Apple IIc, is featured in Wired magazine as one of Apple's ten biggest flops.

Here's the article.

bob

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trash 80 was the first computer I worked on. My first computer was the mighty Tandy 1000 with the then very stylish 1/2 height floppies. With the two floppies you could boot with one and run apps with the other. And double sided, double density disks - damn those were something! Loved the compaq portable ii that you posted - I had such techno lust for those things and their orange monochrome screens. I think I posted this before, but I would love to see HP relaunch the digital brand for consumer type electronics. Still one of my all time favorite logos.
Digital_dec_logo.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads