• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Rude to whom? If Barnes & Noble encourages it, or even tolerates it, what business is it of yours. If you don't like the policy, then complain about B&N, not the people who do it.

I remember, more or less, when this trend began. It seemed to be a conscious response to Amazon, or at least the fear of Amazon, with maybe a bit of Starbucks envy thrown in. B&N wanted to encourage people to spend time in the bookstore. They feared, perhaps correctly, that if people thought of bookstores a place to walk in get a book and leave they would lose all their sales to Amazon.

I guess what is pissing me off about the whole situation is that they want you to treat the place like home but they don't even have the common courtesy toleave girly magazines in the bathroom.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I guess what is pissing me off about the whole situation is that they want you to treat the place like home but they don't even have the common courtesy toleave girly magazines in the bathroom.

Indeed, you can't take any books into the bathroom, as George Costanza found out.

Jon.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Rude to whom?

To the other people in the store.

If they "encouraged" it they would have seating areas on each floor or couches at the end of the ailse and not just having a cafe area that doesn't set off an alarm when you take a book into it.

It is flat out RUDE to sit in the middle of an aisle with your **** spread out, lap top open, flipping through books doing research/homework/whatever. You have to step over/around the person on the floor, they have their back up to books that you may be interested in accessing. It's rude to make someone ask you to schooch over or stand up so that you can get a book off the shelf.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC

If they "encouraged" it they would have seating areas on each floor or couches at the end of the ailse and not just having a cafe area that doesn't set off an alarm when you take a book into it.

It is flat out RUDE to sit in the middle of an aisle with your **** spread out, lap top open, flipping through books doing research/homework/whatever. You have to step over/around the person on the floor, they have their back up to books that you may be interested in accessing. It's rude to make someone ask you to schooch over or stand up so that you can get a book off the shelf.

+1...That shite is annoying and very common.

jkennett

Reaction score
Every time I've gone in the local B&N there was the same guy sitting on the floor with all his Dungeons and Dragons stuff spread out in the aisle... I think he might have actually permanently claimed that area as his own domain. Last time he also had a friend there... I think they were scheming about what to do with their newfound wizard powers. I'm just glad I don't need or want any of the books in his aisle.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer

I think B&N and others like Borders have made their stores TOO comfortable. I've found that some of these abusers [a STACK of books/note taking] seem to be a bit off mentally, if grooming is anything to go by.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Actually my local B&N does have seating areas which are on the other end of the store, completely away from the refreshment area. There are both plush armchairs and tables purposely designed for people to congregate about.

Personally however, I have only used that area once, and only for a study group. And while we didn't purchase any books, we did pay for B&N's wifi access.

Jon.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
^I have no problem with designated areas, we're talking about people coping a squat in the aisles.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Originally Posted by underwearer

Originally Posted by jkennett
Every time I've gone in the local B&N there was the same guy sitting on the floor with all his Dungeons and Dragons stuff spread out in the aisle... I think he might have actually permanently claimed that area as his own domain. Last time he also had a friend there... I think they were scheming about what to do with their newfound wizard powers. I'm just glad I don't need or want any of the books in his aisle.

Originally Posted by Mustapha
I think B&N and others like Borders have made their stores TOO comfortable. I've found that some of these abusers [a STACK of books/note taking] seem to be a bit off mentally, if grooming is anything to go by.

Makes sense. This is a fair complaint and one management should be dealing with.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My mother was just telling me about a dream she had last night. Apparently, I had left for university, and she was rearranging my room. Upon opening a dresser drawer, she found a pair of her underwear among my clothes. What's she trying to say?
confused.gif
plain.gif

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
My mother was just telling me about a dream she had last night. Apparently, I had left for university, and she was rearranging my room. Upon opening a dresser drawer, she found a pair of her underwear among my clothes.

What's she trying to say?
confused.gif
plain.gif

I guess revealing too much information runs in your family.

jkennett

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads