• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what was your first computer?

redtree00

Reaction score
800px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
My first computer class in HS was on a TRS-80 (aka Trash 80)

My first time on a home computer was my best friend's Apple II

My first computer was the Atari 800...started with a cassette drive, then upgraded to disk drive

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the man himself... Clive Sinclair

CliveSinclairZX81launch_high.jpg

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I still have and use my hand-me-down Curta. I guess it might count as my first computer, if not, my first computer was a:

Jon.

Oregon trail was one of the coolest games I ever played.

magnus_h

Reaction score
Shared a Commodore 64 with my brother at first. A couple years later I got my own Amiga 500+.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inevitably, the C64, followed by a CPlus/4. I then took an extended holiday from computer ownership straight through to 2002, when I succumbed to a Dell deskstop.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amstrad CPC 464. Green screen monochrome monitor
biggrin.gif
Originally Posted by magnus_h
Shared a Commodore 64 with my brother at first. A couple years later I got my own Amiga 500+.
The 500 Plus was my first Miggy, too! I have a (mildly) tricked-out black A1200 next to me right now
biggrin.gif
Most responsive and efficient machine I have ever used. I have not actually enjoyed using a computer since then...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Amstrad CPC 464. Green screen monochrome monitor
biggrin.gif

The 500 Plus was my first Miggy, too! I have a (mildly) tricked-out black A1200 next to me right now
biggrin.gif

Most responsive and efficient machine I have ever used. I have not actually enjoyed using a computer since then...

You should join the "we're getting out of IT while we still can" club. I had some of my best times on the Compaq Portable III. My friends had Nintendos but I felt suprior with my computer. Sierra games actually required thinking and problem solving skills. I actually replayed HQ and KQ3 (my favorite of the series) a couple of years ago on a dos emulator.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I had a 286 that a friend of my uncle's set me up with, that was 8mhz but had a Turbo switch to pump it up to 10 whole MHz. It had an add-on ISA card with a crapload of little ICs soldered on that upgraded the ram to something like 800-ish Kb, and the full-height 5-1/4" hard drive was 68Mb. I did everything on that computer. I wish I still had it.

After that I configured and bought a 486 DX/66 when I was around 13, then an AMD "P2" (whatever the equivalent was then) - 200 MHz that I had until college, then an AMD 700MHz which is still in the corner of my living room running movies and stuff, and a couple after that.

I remember when I was running a BBS off the 486 and went to Future Shop (now gone) to buy a Supra 28.8 Kbps modem which was about the fastest thing anyone would connect with at the time. It cost me like 250 bucks.

My friend got his dad to buy him a 3.5" floppy drive, and it was $70.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I played all the "Quest" games on the Compaq up until KQ4, which was the first sierra game that needed VGA iirc. I can still remember the switch to VGA. It was beautiful. Long after I stopped using it I had intended to hold on to it for posterity's sake, but when our house got cleaned-out by burglars it was gone forever.
frown.gif

compaqiii.jpg

Wow that brings back memories of sleeping over at my friend's house sometime in the 80's and staying up all night playing (and solving) Space Quest 2 on his dad's Compaq. The tiny monochrome plasma was so cool! Who would have thought you would be able load and play all these games on a tiny iPhone or PDA in 2008.

The first family computer was an Osbourne my dad got to bring home from work occasionally in like 1980. It kind of looks like a suitcase nuke:

osborne1.jpg

Our first actual "PC" was a PCjr. 128K of RAM, one floppy, no HDD, a cassette extension, 16 colors of eye popping graphics in glorious 160x120 resolution plus enhanced sound capabilities. And a wireless keyboard to boot.

PCjr_with_Monitor.gif

If you didn't boot a DOS floppy the ROM defaulted to a BASIC language environment, which I learned how to use and eventually programmed some primitive graphics and games. I still have my old BASIC programs from 25 years ago and they can still run in a BASIC emulator on my PC.

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
At first I thought you said Tallulah(Bankhead), which wouldn't necessarily be inappropriate.

And a cheers to you too.

Ah - but droll (not drawl) you know the difference of course.
The confusion would only exist if every sentence was punctuated with "dahling".
On the other hand, Lynn Fontaine couldn't have said it better either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads