• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Cordovan boots

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Yes, the wingtips are really nice looking on the Plaza last. I love wingtips. Just this week I got a pair of the black shell wingtip high boots on the Barrie last from Adam. I like the Plaza last and if I were in Hawaii I'd try to get the cigar shells from Tom.
How are you liking the black wingtip boots so far? I'm still on the fence on whether I want a pair or not, as it feels like a pair of the 4065's have been enough for me.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
How are you liking the black wingtip boots so far? I'm still on the fence on whether I want a pair or not, as it feels like a pair of the 4065's have been enough for me.
I wore them Friday for the first time - I love them. They were great in the frigid temps that we are currently enduring.

I was on the fence between the AF72 (wingtips) and AF60 (straight tip on Plaza). I actually ordered the AF60 then changed the order to the wingtips before they were shipped, and I'm glad I did. While I like the Plaza last, I'm a wingtip guy. Because I have enjoyed the pebble grain shell boots that I got in early December, I felt confident in getting the black shells. I may pick up the AF60s later but am glad that I got the wingtips.

amlai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albert60
I'd be interested in a group buy, e.g. plaza last boot.

There are a few plaza last boot orders outstanding via LeatherSoul.
To my knowledge, the 3 outstanding #8 plaza last boot orders are
1) cap toe
2) wing tip
3) Plain Toe (no cap) w/medallion http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=46939
I believe all are on double leather sole.

Alden's been backed up in shell orders, even in #8 and black, so putting another special order in would probably have a really long lead time. As of right now, it appears that we're going to miss the original May projection (and we started the process back in Oct). By how much, I don't know. Tom said that he might have a better idea in a couple of weeks.

Albert60

Reaction score
Those wingtips are breathtaking.

I would be interested in a shell on the plaza last. I'm hoping that with a pre-paid/ deposit group buy a 13 D could be ordered.

bobdobalina

Reaction score
The Manhattan Alden store has a number of Chukkas in Cigar shell. They even have (had.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
) at least one pair of 12Cs. Allegedly they were recent arrivals.
Originally Posted by dr.no
FWIW-cigar shell is very scarce right now. Both Tom at LeatherSoul and Adam at Alden of Carmel indicated new cigar shell boots/shoes won't be coming in until at least mid 2008.

tonup277

Reaction score
anyone else here put in a pre-order for those #8 wingtip boots from Tom?
i'm thinking of pulling the trigger...but need to try on a pair of similar shoe at my local shop to confirm size.

btw, cordovan doesn't crease the way corrected grain does...does it?
god i hope not!

Albert60

Reaction score

tonup277

Reaction score
wow...these are going fast!
i saw the photo of Brian's in the earlier post...they do look rather substantial...and he described them as being really heavy.

funny though, the image on Tom's site made them appear much sleeker, which is what attracted me to it in the first place. that, and the #8 color.

how chunky are you all expecting these to be? for example, would these look out of place with a suit?

Albert60

Reaction score
[
how chunky are you all expecting these to be? for example, would these look out of place with a suit?[/quote]

I haven't seen the Plaza last on a double leather sole. Might depend on the season and/or weather, on wintry days shoes can be chunkier and look apropos.

I don't wear suits often and my expectation is to wear the boots with jeans and odd trouser/sportcoat ensembles. If it was important to me to wear the boots with suits I would get the cap toe, if available. I think the cap-toe style makes the boots a notch dressier.

I'm bummed I missed the plain toe w/ medallion order by a few weeks.

Anyone have the Plaza last/double leather sole wing-tips or other styles and wear them with suits?

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albert60
Anyone have the Plaza last/double leather sole wing-tips or other styles and wear them with suits?

I wear mine in shell #8 with suits all the time.
dsc0168zt7.jpg

I also have a pair of shell boots in Mahogani from Ron Rider on a sleeker last.
dsc0166qd0.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads