• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what was your first computer?

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Anyone know if stuff from the late 70s and early 80s like Commodores, TRS 80s and such have value as collectibles or are they scrap heap material?

I was told they are basicly worthless.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
VIC-20_friendly_brochure_p1.jpg

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lets see, I was raised on a Atari 800 for our serious computer. Later we got a Commodore 128 and 64. My dad built a kickin 486 66MHZ with 16mb of ram (SIMMS 60pin IIRC) 3gbh hdd. Shortly after that I built my own machine (in the 3rd grade) 386 DX 33mhz with math co-processor, 80mb hdd 4mb of ram, 2x cd-rom, and eventually a 100mb parallel zip disk drive w/ 2gb of disks.

First laptop was some brand I cant remember 8086 8mhz 640k of ram and a tiny screen. It was ripped off when my house was burgled

Atari_800_Alone.jpg

commodore_c128_1.jpg

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a 386

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TRS-80 my parents bought me because they thought computers were going to be the thing of the future and they wanted me onboard. Cassete drive and floppy drive. Mainly I played games on it, but I did write some code when I was, I don't know < 10. That was pretty awesome of them as we weren't rolling in it.

My first 'real' computer was my 486 DX 33 Mhz -- the DX was a special option as I needed the math coprocessor. 8MB RAM, 220MB HDD. Three grand. One day I upgraded it to a 1 GB HDD and was all that. It served me well for probably seven years, then I got my still-favorite, a PIII 733 Mhz Coppermine machine, with 128MB RDRAM, dual 30 gig drives, Matrox dual-head graphics card, TV tuner card, and my Altec ADA880 speakers which just died and I'm sad about. Awesome system, still on my network running XPpro beautifully.

~ Huntsman

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Anyone know if stuff from the late 70s and early 80s like Commodores, TRS 80s and such have value as collectibles or are they scrap heap material?

PETs, etc., in good working condition were selling for a few hundred dollars on Ebay when I last checked. More common systems like the C64 and C128 fill the shelves at Goodwill.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man you guys are old school.

My first was a Gateway 2000 Pentium-166. My next door neighbor was the first I knew with a PC, had one of those old Tandys from Radio Shack in the early 90s. I bugged my mom until she got ours in 1996.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
ST Advantage 486 from Costco.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
I had a 8086 that had an attached monitor that was CGA compatible. 512k total memory with two 3.5 inch drives.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't remember what brand it was, but I do remember having to learn MS-DOS, Lotus, Harvard Graphics and Wordstar. When Win 3.1 came about, I used up all my savings then to buy a 386dx, with a whopping 512kb hard drive, 14" crt monitor, a 12x cd-rom drive, and a telephone modem. I was teh pc king in our 'hood, yo! But if you expand the definition of "computer" this is my first...
speak-n-spell.jpg

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The earliest one I can remember, though I'm sure my family had older ones, is an IBM 286. I would play King's Quest V, Wolfenstein 3D, and MS Flight Simulator on it. Which were at least as much fun when I was 7 as anything out these days.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dell XPS Intel Pentium 200 mhz MMX

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads