• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeve Length: Sport Coat/Blazer vs. Suit Coat

C.G.

Reaction score
Is the sleeve length of a sport coat / blazer suppose to be the same length as a suit coat?

I just purchased an E. Zegna sport coat that is being tailored. The sleeve length just covered my shirt sleeves. I was going to have them shortened but the tailor and the Zegna sales rep (Nieman Marcus @ The Westchester) said it looked good. When I inquired, they said it is looks good for a sport coat or blazer to have slightly longer sleeves than a suit coat.

Thank you for your comments in advance.
worship.gif

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they assumed you would sometimes want to wear it with a short sleeved shirt?

neon

Reaction score
I don't think there's any logic in assuming blazer sleeves should be longer than in suit jacket. I stick with half an inch of the shirt cuffs for both.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
My suit coats and sport coats all measure the same distance from the end of my thumb. I wear them with a lot of the same shirts so it only makes sense, at least to me, that they should be the same length.

Cheers, Jim.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may be an over generalization, but sales people and tailors tend to suggest overly long jacket sleeve length. Many times you have to insist on showing the cuff. I think showing cuff is applicable to both suit jackets and sportscoats/blazers. But if you want a jacket in your wardrobe that doesn't show cuff, that's cool too.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JimInSoCalif
My suit coats and sport coats all measure the same distance from the end of my thumb. I wear them with a lot of the same shirts so it only makes sense, at least to me, that they should be the same length.

Cheers, Jim.

Agreed.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it costs the store money to have the sleeve shortened.
thats the simple answer.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stores tend to want to leave sleeves and pants longer. It is common for me to have a little back and forth with a tailor at a Dept store to get the sleeves or pants the length I like.

I try and wear a jacket or tailored pants (vs. jeans) when I have clothing marked so I can show what I like using my current clothing as reference.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The last time I had pants tailored in a department store, the tailor made them more than an inch longer than I had wanted and made the cuff a half inch small. You would be better off taking your alterations to a real tailor.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sometimes I'll have a sport coat with slightly longer sleeves, especially if it's a summer jacket. I'm not saying that I don't regret some of those, but sleeves tailored to show the right amount of cuff look really dumb when worn with short sleeves.

But, yes-- department store tailors (including the one at Louis Boston) seem to prefer sleeves and trouser legs much too long.

C.G.

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. Since the jacket was 50% off, I was paying for the alterations. So it confused me even more when I questioned their agreement on the length.

I decided to let them do the other minor tailoring required and then take it to my tailor to shorten the sleeves.

All the best!
bigstar[1].gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
You would be better off taking your alterations to a real tailor.

It's good advice especially when there is a sale going on. The added volume of work for tailors at retail stores seems to lead to more errors.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I, too, have been frustrated by department store tailors hemming both pants and jacket sleeves much too long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads