• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Black Label

mikej77

Reaction score
I am looking to get a couple of new suits. Does anyone know what stores aside from the Ralph Lauren Stores carry the black label line? Also, could you comment on the quality.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikej77
I am looking to get a couple of new suits. Does anyone know what stores aside from the Ralph Lauren Stores carry the black label line? Also, could you comment on the quality.

This isn't a soup kitchen. Learn to search.

sweisman

Reaction score
The style is a trimmer cut. Bloomingdales carries a limited selection in the D.C. area.

mikej77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sweisman
The style is a trimmer cut. Bloomingdales carries a limited selection in the D.C. area.

Thanks I will definitely check out bloomingdales, thanks for the help.

hankwx

Reaction score
i believe some saks carry black label too.

sweisman

Reaction score
The jackets and shirts are substantially trimmer than purple label, but the pants are pretty similar for some reason. The fabrics are nice, but not nearly as many choices as purple label.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The BL stuff has small/thin collars, very trendy, purple label stuff is much nicer I think and isn't really trendy, its more classic.

mikej77

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the opinions on black label. I am trying to get a few new suits and the slimmer fits look best for my body type.

sweisman

Reaction score
Another suit you may want to try for a slimmer cut is Theory. I don't like the fabrics quite as much as the Black Label, but the cut is nice and they are less pricey if that is a concern.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Black Label is rather monochromatic which is my main complaint about the line. There is not much beyond what the Ralph Lauren website offers, and at least in Chicago only select items move very well. I do really like the cut and would buy items on sale if there was at least a few colors other than black or dark charcoal.

edit: There are other slim cut suits in the Polo range. The Bleecker models are a little bit Thom Browne but not as extreme. The Congressman is fairly trim with narrow lapels although it is most often found as a sport coat - full suits do exist though. I think the Jerome 'Blue Label' model might be trimmer than most suits but these are quite rare. Probably only a larger Ralph store like the Mansion or Michigan Ave location will have decent stock of these items.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen more than just black and charcoal.

Two weeks I bought a beautiful Navy with a faint Pinstripe suit and Brown Cord. suit. They also had a gorgeous Navy Serge twill that I am still eyeing. The fit OTR is perfect (for me) and Black Label greatly exceeds Theory in my opinion. I agree that the line is rather monochromatic, but there are options there. My SA at my local store told me the Spring line is introducing some color and I saw a couple of shirts and they were a departure from what you expect from Black Label color wise.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sweisman
Another suit you may want to try for a slimmer cut is Theory. I don't like the fabrics quite as much as the Black Label, but the cut is nice and they are less pricey if that is a concern.

I have a few older Theory pieces, it seems that everything by them is made in China now - whereas most of what I have is made in Italy - the fit, finish and cut is like a notch above Banana Republic. I can't understand why Neimans, Bloomingdales and Saks all carry the line.

Black Label fits great and looks amazing after some basic tailoring. If bought on sale, it can be a smoking deal.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
I have a few older Theory pieces, it seems that everything by them is made in China now - whereas most of what I have is made in Italy - the fit, finish and cut is like a notch above Banana Republic. I can't understand why Neimans, Bloomingdales and Saks all carry the line.

Black Label fits great and looks amazing after some basic tailoring. If bought on sale, it can be a smoking deal.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads