• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool Suitcases

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw this at a store in town and though it was one of the coolest suitcases I've ever seen. Supremely impractical, but supremely cool. Even though I'm not going anywhere, I was almost ready to shell out $750 to buy it. It's from Samsonite and designed by Alexander McQueen.
ribcage.jpg
I also like this Louis Vuitton suitcase quite a bit, although I suspect it does look a bit feminine (and loud.) But still, very nice. Louis Vuitton has much more manly looked monogrammed duffle bags for about half the price, but they're pretty impractical to lug through airports.
p10295746_ph_hero.jpg
Any other pics of really cool suitcases? Also, can anyone explain what is so great about Tumi? Their suitcases are nice, but I can't figure out why they cost like 4x as much as other almost identical suitcases from companies like Samsonite. Is there something really revolutionary about their quality, or is it just marketing to the jet-set crowd?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of my favorite things is luggage, but I found both of those suitcases rather offputting.

Louis Vuitton's hard-sided suitcases are classic, but God forbid a roller version.

Prada actually has had some nylon/canvas covered hard suitcases in a rather traditional retro design.

Also:

Vintage%20Leather%20Suitcase.jpg

I personally use a rather scuffed version of this:

11288_sq250.jpg

And I also like this:

rimowa_topas_boardcase_iata.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Globetrotter makes a very traditional line of flamboyantly discreet cases:

globetrotter.jpg

They have an Orient Line, which is finished in Urushi lacquer, particularly attractive.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that unless you're flying private, spending a lot of money on suitcases is stupid. I bought my Heys suitcases right before my trip to peru, and 9 planes later, they're quite banged up and discolored. I spent just enough on them to get good cases that were light and functional, with great handles and wheels, that i could strap together so that I only had to pull them with one hand. They were lost before I even got to Lima. Not to mention that the more your bag sticks out, the greater a target for theft that it becomes.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I think that unless you're flying private, spending a lot of money on suitcases is stupid. ... Not to mention that the more your bag sticks out, the greater a target for theft that it becomes.
NSS.
rolleyes.gif

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
That Samsonite is trippy, it's like a thorax. I might get a Zero Halliburton off eBay. They get all scuffed up anyway after a few trips so I don't mind buying used.

Those are very nice. I would get one, if it wasn't completely against my liberal sensibilities to have the
devil.gif
name of Halliburton on my luggage (even though it no longer has any connection with Halliburton). It would be neat to imagine myself carrying The Football around...

spence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Also, can anyone explain what is so great about Tumi? Their suitcases are nice, but I can't figure out why they cost like 4x as much as other almost identical suitcases from companies like Samsonite. Is there something really revolutionary about their quality, or is it just marketing to the jet-set crowd?
Durability is very good, and the design/function seems to be quite nice as well. Materials are a bit nicer than lesser bags. The tracer program might be worth something, although I've never known anyone to buy for that reason!

Are they worth the money? Can't say...but the two bags I've bought at 1/2 retail were certainly worth the money.

-spence

Bogie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Nice. Is that suede?

Jon.

Nope just pure leather. Apparently these suitcases have a 400 year guarantee.
lol8[1].gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I think that unless you're flying private, spending a lot of money on suitcases is stupid. I bought my Heys suitcases right before my trip to peru, and 9 planes later, they're quite banged up and discolored. I spent just enough on them to get good cases that were light and functional, with great handles and wheels, that i could strap together so that I only had to pull them with one hand. They were lost before I even got to Lima. Not to mention that the more your bag sticks out, the greater a target for theft that it becomes.

I didn't know what Heys suitcase was, so I looked it up. I wouldn't advise getting orange colored suitcases:

HYCRUZER2_lg.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
That Samsonite is trippy, it's like a thorax. I might get a Zero Halliburton off eBay. They get all scuffed up anyway after a few trips so I don't mind buying used.

The Zero Halliburtons get all scuffed up after one trip through the baggage handlers. Fortunately, mine has some airline stickers that I put on, which makes for a nice effect.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd never spend big bucks on a suitcase that gets checked in, it might get lost/stolen/scuffed up. But at least with a carry-on you can baby it and it won't be tossed around by baggage handlers. To me that samsonite ribcage suitcase is just about the coolest thing ever. Even in the bang the handle comes out of the spinal cord!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads