• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roast chicken recipes

jleeo225

Reaction score
Any good ones out there? I usually just rinse and dry the chicken and then shower it with kosher salt and pepper and put it in a 450 degree oven for an hour. It's simple and good, but wanted to try something with herbs or lemon, or any other recipe out there. Any one have a good recipe?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A simple one I do is coat the chicken in salt pepper and garlic powder. Then I coat the chicken in olive oil and stuff the inside with whole sprigs of basil. Baste the chicken as it cooks and when you serve it pull the basil out and serve it on the side.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy the freshest chicken I can find. Even if I have to drive to Chinatown--- they get the live chicken from the cage and they'll dress it for you:) I rub the chicken with lemon or lime, salt, peper, garlic inside and roast it in a turbo broiler.

lidprop

Reaction score
jleeo225, I've been roasting chickens lately according to Thomas Keller's recipe found in his "Bouchon" cookbook. It's roasted same as in your recipe but the chicken is trussed, or tied up, making it more compact, hence keeping it more moist. After it's taken from the oven, Keller adds thyme to the pan and bastes the chicken with the juices and thyme as it rests for 15 minutes. It's delicious, bistro style.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 for the Bouchon recipe. Disarmingly simple and delicious

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to create some sort of seasoning mixture (rosemary, garlic, S&P; lemon, S&P; chili powder, cumin, coriander; infinite variations possible), add it to olive oil or butter, and by making small incisions in various points of the skin, introduce it under the skin. This gives the meat itself a great deal of additional flavor. I also start the bird upside down to crisp the skin on the underside of the thighs, then flip it part way through cooking to crisp the top likewise. ~ Huntsman

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lidprop
jleeo225, I've been roasting chickens lately according to Thomas Keller's recipe found in his "Bouchon" cookbook. It's roasted same as in your recipe but the chicken is trussed, or tied up, making it more compact, hence keeping it more moist. After it's taken from the oven, Keller adds thyme to the pan and bastes the chicken with the juices and thyme as it rests for 15 minutes. It's delicious, bistro style.

ding ding ding ding. This is my default roasted chicken recipe. I add some roasting potatoes in the pan, with thyme, pepper, kosher salt, and let the chicken fat does the magic work. They taste delicious afterward.

Here's the recipe online: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/231348.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Zuni Cafe roast chicken with bread salad is amazing. It gets a little hot and messy in the oven but it rivals the Keller one, which I have made a lot. I actually like the Zuni one better.

I like to also, take an orange or a lemon and an onion, clean and rinse it, cut each into quarters and stuff and truss the bird with herbs. Comes out great and smells wonderful too. Make sure to truss the bird to seal in the flavor.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4401342

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1 on the marble potatoes on the pan. I use sea salt, a sprinkling of olive oil, rosemary, cracked pepper and lots of garlic on mine. The chicken fat mixing with the baking potatoes give a superb smell and taste. As for the chicken, one thing I add to the roasting is I stuff a couple of whole onions, sprigs of whatever herb's available, whole garlic and a whole lemon stabbed with a fork inside the cavity. I also cut a slice across the skin in the breast part and rub some rosemary between the skin and the meat part.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is VERY simple and comes out fantastic. Yogurt is a staple in making Indian curries
  1. Buy good yogurt! Russian style or other full fat (brown cow, stonyfield etc).
  2. Leave the yogurt at room temp for 3-4 hours. Makes it tarter and much more flavorful.

3. Get chicken, sprinkle with mixture of little vinegar, hot crushed peppers, ginger powder or fresh crushed ginger, kosher salt.

4. Chop onion.

5. Put olive oil in dutch oven, heat oil, brown chicken. Put onion in the pan. Fry to browness you like.

6. Dump handful of peeled (can be bought from store that way) garlic cloves.

7. Dump yogurt into pan.

8. Put on lid,

9. stove top or oven. 40 mins.

10. Serve with steamy basmati rice. Yogurt makes great sauce.
I also add a few unpeeled jalapenos. That way those who like hot can bite them and those who dont are not forced.

Can also dump grape tomatoes/cashews/ sultanas/ dried apricots/turnips etc into pan to add variety.

Baby japanese turnips (farm markets) and boiling onions are also good.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a Kosher bird in this city but I'm sure some of you can find them. I'm always disappointed if I don't brine a normal bird first -- no one else bothers to brine?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
I've never seen a Kosher bird in this city but I'm sure some of you can find them. I'm always disappointed if I don't brine a normal bird first -- no one else bothers to brine?

IMO, most of the chickens that I roast (usually for 2-3 people only) are too small to fully benefit from the brining process. Besides, I find the kosher salt on the skin salty enough for my taste. Unless you're one of those who don't like crispy roasted chicken skin--in which case, you're insane!
tounge.gif

jleeo225

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lidprop

Ah, yes, trussing. I should do that, but never seem to have any butcher twine lying around. Does recipe call for rubbing olive oil or canola oil on the bird before salting it?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
ding ding ding ding. This is my default roasted chicken recipe. I add some roasting potatoes in the pan, with thyme, pepper, kosher salt, and let the chicken fat does the magic work. They taste delicious afterward.

Here's the recipe online: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/231348.

That sounds very good - do you cook the potatoes for the entire time that you cook the chicken, or add them during the cooking process?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jleeo225
Ah, yes, trussing. I should do that, but never seem to have any butcher twine lying around. Does recipe call for rubbing olive oil or canola oil on the bird before salting it?

No. See here for recipe.

If you don't have twine, I'd substitute unflavored and non-waxed dental floss if you got it lying around.
peepwall[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads