• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else joining a gym this January? Talk to me.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Greg, you need to meet the few forum-ers, all seemingly very fit, who swear by throwing up the hallmark/milestone of a great workout.
laugh.gif

I'm all for working hard, but vomiting is too much. It happened to me a few times on the high school wrestling team, and was not pleasant. I also equate vomiting more with intense cardio than with lifting in the gym. Maybe others are different?

Blacking out during a workout (or just having your vision and hearing drain away) due to blood distribution to the working muscles is also fun. You know you're hardcore when you have to grope your way to the water fountain like a blind man.
crazy.gif

Also, to check form/learn form for exercises, you might think of asking a veteran gym-goer whose workout seems to be effective instead of a PT. No offense to Eason, because I'm sure he knows what he's doing, but the PT's in my area are either negligently stupid or actively trying to put their clients into traction rather than improving their health and fitness.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
None taken. We always ask "How do you want to feel after your workout?" and go with whatever they say.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Good advice, thanks everyone. I just had a great workout tonight, I'm feelin' it tomorrow morning - and thats always a great feeling. I saw more of these signs up at the Washington Sports Club about that Rock the Scales program, so I asked one of the PTs about more info. They hook you up with a scientific meal plan and workout schedule and you can win these prizes - check that. Anyone ever won a sweepstakes or similar deal? I've always felt I should win one already! Prize list is here - http://www.rockthescales.com/sweepstakes.htm Anyone in Philly Sports Club see these signs up?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Does anyone else see the title of this thread and hear Terry Tibbs in their head?

Originally Posted by Philosoph
I'm all for working hard, but vomiting is too much. It happened to me a few times on the high school wrestling team, and was not pleasant. I also equate vomiting more with intense cardio than with lifting in the gym. Maybe others are different?

Squats, man. I have been very, very close to throwing up after squatting. Never actually done it, though. Other than that, I agree with you--if I'm going to feel nauseated, it's most often after doing sprint intervals.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason I don't get nauseas doing squats, even when doing heavy triples or something. I have gotten a little queasy doing snatches though. There have been a few times when I could actually feel the blood draining out of my head as I stood up under the bar. I nearly blacked out and fell over by the time I locked out. That was a little scary and not so much fun.

+1 on the sprint intervals.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Thats really scary, Philosoph. Take it easy out there.

Saucemaster - you're from Philly - have you checked out the PSC on 5th? Its gorgeous.

I can't wait to hit the gym after work and hit the punching bag for an hour - this week has been long and its just half way over!

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoulPatcher
Saucemaster - you're from Philly - have you checked out the PSC on 5th? Its gorgeous.

There's a (mediocre-to-bad) gym in my building that I get to use for free, so I can't justify the expense, but yeah, the PSC is nice.

smw356

Reaction score
For some reason I don't get nauseas doing squats, even when doing heavy triples or something. I have gotten a little queasy doing snatches though. There have been a few times when I could actually feel the blood draining out of my head as I stood up under the bar. I nearly blacked out and fell over by the time I locked out. That was a little scary and not so much fun. +1 on the sprint intervals.
If you want to get sick doing squats do 20 reps with your 10rm. I could have sworn I was actually going to black out on the final 2 reps the last time I was crazy enough to do that.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Thats convenient enough. Does it have everything you need?

I like a lot of the uncommon weight machines they have at the Sports Clubs, thats why I'm going to join it. I didn't even think that Gold's gym here in DC had a very good selection of machines.

Don't you find the rates reasonable and (sometimes) negotiable? I sure do, especially when the sign up fee is reduced by 80%, but I don't believe thats a permanant deal.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
If you want to get sick doing squats do 20 reps with your 10rm. I could have sworn I was actually going to black out on the final 2 reps the last time I was crazy enough to do that.

Haha... those are always fun. And by "fun" I mean suicidal.

Since we're now talking about ways to kill yourself in the gym... At the end of December I was prevented from working out for about three weeks due to sinus surgery. After the holidays, I decided to get back in shape by doing some serious metabolic conditioning. I tried Alwyn Cosgrove's Complexes for Fat Loss program, and it very nearly destroyed me. When you read the description of this thing, it sounds easy, and it uses light weights, but it's killer. I started off using 115 for the complexes, but as the program progressed, I had to drop it down to 95. After the first workout I thought I was going to vomit my heart and lungs onto the floor.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Worst workout I ever did was the exact one Wanderlei Silva did for his circuit on UFC All Access, minus the snorkle and ice bath. I think even my eyes got overloaded with H+ ions.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha... those are always fun. And by "fun" I mean suicidal.

Since we're now talking about ways to kill yourself in the gym... At the end of December I was prevented from working out for about three weeks due to sinus surgery. After the holidays, I decided to get back in shape by doing some serious metabolic conditioning. I tried Alwyn Cosgrove's Complexes for Fat Loss program, and it very nearly destroyed me. When you read the description of this thing, it sounds easy, and it uses light weights, but it's killer. I started off using 115 for the complexes, but as the program progressed, I had to drop it down to 95. After the first workout I thought I was going to vomit my heart and lungs onto the floor.

I get days on the saddle like that (bike). I just get this feeling like: kill me now; although, after a few minutes it passes and I'm back in the zone. And then I bike for another 20 miles.

Jon.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Worst workout I ever did was the exact one Wanderlei Silva did for his circuit on UFC All Access, minus the snorkle and ice bath. I think even my eyes got overloaded with H+ ions.
I saw that - Wanderlei is crazy. Its too bad he didn't show up full force at UFC 79 against the Iceman. I hope they rematch soon. I had a great workout last night, (not Silva style). Ab workouts with the medicine balls always kill me - but I'm getting used to it. Rockin the scales reminds me of my in-house workouts - 3 sets of crunches - GH3 song - 3 sets of pushups - GH3 Song - curls/dips - GH3 songs, repeat.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Dude, you really have to stop repping Sports Club so hard. Or get more subtle about it.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Not another peep from me about it. Just serious about becoming a member somewhere and people keep taking the topic into other places! I've gotta keep them focused
frown.gif

Hard workout stories don't help me decide where to join...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads