• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Antiquing

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 16520Man
On their way for a makeover, as I never wear them (because of the color):

JLBourne01.jpg

And back on the street......

87mis69.jpg
[/IMG]

6sk2b9s.jpg
[/IMG]

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure....that's easy to 'blend' in.......just have to drop blood randomly around the upper!

Originally Posted by Salsalocust
I have had this Westbourne taking up shelf space for sometime. I can't quite figure how this was ever able to happen but so be it?

IMG_0851.jpg
[/IMG]
Question: Could Ron's magic touch rescue these?

IMG_0855.jpg

I hate ''train wreck' photos

IMG_0854.jpg
[/IMG]

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ron,

What kind of wax do you use? Saphir?

Thanks,

Chris

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These were fun to work on.......

6xhch7m.jpg
[/IMG]

7y2jfww.jpg
[/IMG]

8e8fghd.jpg
[/IMG]

8dxlu89.jpg
[/IMG]

6pz3ng8.jpg
[/IMG]

728ys1d.jpg
[/IMG]

71bzfk5.jpg
[/IMG]

The entire base coats are Saphir creams and wax......mostly Forest Green, Orange....some Navy and the standard brown's.....then a little dye wash and lots of Crema Alpina and Renoveteur......not to mention elbow grease. Client requested something 'interesting to crazy', basically. Mission accomplished -

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
wow - great stuff!

emptym

Reaction score
Beautiful!

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy Crap those are amazing.

Originally Posted by RIDER
These were fun to work on.......

6xhch7m.jpg
[/IMG]

7y2jfww.jpg
[/IMG]

8e8fghd.jpg
[/IMG]

8dxlu89.jpg
[/IMG]

6pz3ng8.jpg
[/IMG]

728ys1d.jpg
[/IMG]

71bzfk5.jpg
[/IMG]

The entire base coats are Saphir creams and wax......mostly Forest Green, Orange....some Navy and the standard brown's.....then a little dye wash and lots of Crema Alpina and Renoveteur......not to mention elbow grease. Client requested something 'interesting to crazy', basically. Mission accomplished -

Francisco D'Anconia

Reaction score
Inspired by RIDER a tried my hand at antiquing myself. Before working on shoes I would really miss if I screwed them up, I've only worked on shoes that I will not regret losing.

My first effort was as pair of brown Bostonian monk straps I bought at a thrift store for $5. If you have not done something like this before, I highly recommend using a pair of nominal cost and no regret shoes for your first test bed.

My second was on a on a pair of CT branded CG Loakes. I intended to wear these after completion, but still didn't want to work on a really valuable pair of shoes.

2196029963_33b31f3236.jpg

^ The original shoes from above after taping the soles before any other work ^

2196820886_b58e1d3566.jpg

^ The original shoes from the side after taping the soles before any other work ^

I noticed that when taping the bottoms as RIDER suggests, for me it worked to apply one piece of tape, then trip it to the sole with a razor blade, then add the next piece of tap, then trim....

2196830344_0e3ca7bedc.jpg

^ View from above after removing the finish from the right shoe using Fiebing deglazer ^

2196824622_dd71e3aeca.jpg

^ View from the side after removing the finish from the right shoe using Fiebing deglazer ^

2196834602_5ff542bd19.jpg

^ View from above after applying the first coat of Fiebing medium brown shoe dye ^

To keep things simple at this early stage in my shoe dyeing and antiquing efforts, I decided to use only medium brown dye

2196842040_5d96afeaee.jpg

^ View from above after applying the three or four coats of Fiebing medium brown shoe dye ^

2196055243_502fe847cd.jpg

^ View from above after applying the sixth and last coat of Fiebing medium brown shoe dye ^

2196847766_a5bd4e4281.jpg

2196845916_fc87d50338.jpg

^ Views from above of the shoes after applying some Pecard Lethaer Dressing and simply polishing with Kiwi brown shoe polish. ^

The flash is pretty harsh in this photo and it over-emphasizes the contrast of the color in the brogueing perforations. I'll get some photo of the shoes in natural light to show more accurately what they look like to the human eye.

All in all IMHO I think these were pretty successful nephyte efforts. I'm definately reassured and eager to work towards feelling confident enough to work on a better pair of shoes and doing more with different dyes and polishes afterwards.

Thank you RIDER. There is no way I would have ever attempted this without the primer you posted earlier in this thread

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads