• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolls Royce Phantom

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
As far as I'm concerned, it won't exceed the Mercedes 600, the car of dictators and plutocrats alike:
DSC_3625-grosser.jpg

Few (if any) cars have surpassed the 600.
IMG_3794-grosser.jpg

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Definitely. Just an all-around sharp, elegant looking car. Good choice
smile.gif

JB

zshaver

Reaction score
To advertise an image like this, you definitely have to have one ugly car.
rolls%20phantom%20black.jpg

However, I'm pretty sure that BMW simply came to the realization that they could sell a lot more $300,000+ (I question how many people buy a stock phantom) cars to basketball stars and rappers, than they could to wealthy industrialists and the nouveau riche. Considering the state of the economy, they probably sided with the winning team.

vc2000

Reaction score
I don't like the new models. I have a client that buys a new Royce for his wife every few years - they took the new model downtown to the opera and all these gangster wannabes were drooling over it. They were horrified. It was pretty funny. They returned it and nobody in their social group has gotten one. The hip hop videos use these... I say that RR is killing the traditional market for sales and going with the music entertainment industry. I guess it is the Cristal of autos today.

RR has used bad steering wheels for ages. Why I don't know. Look at a vintage car - they steering wheel looks like it is off a tractor or something. The models in the 80's were the worst they had these cheap plastic looking ones.

cam_pearson

Reaction score
still yuck, the peninsula hotel in Hong kong ordered 14 of the bastards.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vc2000
I don't like the new models. I have a client that buys a new Royce for his wife every few years - they took the new model downtown to the opera and all these gangster wannabes were drooling over it. They were horrified. It was pretty funny. They returned it and nobody in their social group has gotten one. The hip hop videos use these... I say that RR is killing the traditional market for sales and going with the music entertainment industry. I guess it is the Cristal of autos today.

RR has used bad steering wheels for ages. Why I don't know. Look at a vintage car - they steering wheel looks like it is off a tractor or something. The models in the 80's were the worst they had these cheap plastic looking ones.

I don't think the RR is catering to the entertainment industry, if anything the entertainment industry is gravitating to the RR based on price. The same reason Bentley GT's and Ferrari's do well amongst the Hollywood crowd. A lot of entertainers are a superficial set ,more impressed with status and price.

Personally, the Phantom has sort of grown on me, but it's far from a car I admire, or would consider (if I had the money). I have always prefered more performance oriented automobiles.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I don't think the RR is catering to the entertainment industry, if anything the entertainment industry is gravitating to the RR based on price. The same reason Bentley GT's and Ferrari's do well amongst the Hollywood crowd. A lot of entertainers are a superficial set ,more impressed with status and price.

Personally, the Phantom has sort of grown on me, but it's far from a car I admire, or would consider (if I had the money). I have always prefered more performance oriented automobiles.

maserati_gt_sport_s_official_image_news_2.jpg

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Jon.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'm blessed with a Maserati dealership nearby and the sedans like the one above are very well made. The Italians have improved quality control immensely. Older Ferraris in the 80s were terrible, for instance.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I'm blessed with a Maserati dealership nearby and the sedans like the one above are very well made. The Italians have improved quality control immensely. Older Ferraris in the 80s were terrible, for instance.

Early 90's too. My next door neighbor used to have a 348 TB, and it would leak oil like an old man with a urinary problem.

The 360's / 430's however are supposed to be very well built and seem to have few problems, not only compared with Ferrari's of years past, but against the Lamborghini competition as well. ZJPJ would know much better than I, but sadly he has not been on this forum quite some time.

Jon.

cam_pearson

Reaction score
Yeah, they have been selling extremely well, a friend has a 2001 Arnarge Turbo which he is trying to force me to buy, it's big, awkward, imposing and ugly, but like the Phantom, goes like a shower of ****, and is extremely hard on petrol.. I guess I could live with one, I just don't want one out of principal.. all the rappers have them.

cam_pearson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe

hey I own Ferrari's and I certainly do not want to be associated with Hollywood, I try to buy rarer cars instead of the mainstream models, the 430 was my only impulse purchase which I'm starting to regret.. and I have never had a problem with any one of my Ferraris, the italians seem to take alot more abuse than my GT2 or 944 did, I'll post some pics when I buy my digital of me on the club runs so you can see what I mean

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads