• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone recommend slim fit sweaters?

Robwynge

Reaction score
Hello,

who make a slimmer fitting sweater? I prefer my sweaters to be fairly snug. I am sure Ralph Lauren Black Label, but our their others?

Thanks for your help!

-Rob

Janshi

Reaction score
Club Monaco and Banana Republic (occasionally), on the cheaper end of things. Also GAP.

I think all the high-end brands have extremely slim ones too, though whether you can find one is another matter - everytime I go anywhere it seems that all my size is gone.

Pink22m

Reaction score
For cashmere sweaters, you might want to consider Polo Ralph Lauren, or Ralph Lauren Purple Label. I am 5-10, 140 lbs, and wear a 36R in suits. My small cable knit sweaters from them fit me quite well. The cable knits actually advertise as a classic fit, but they fit pretty snug. You also might want to try Ralph Lauren Black Label, which is bound to be even slimmer than Polo or Purple Label.

Catalan Style

Reaction score
I recently got a great slim fitting Paul Smith cardigan. beautiful colour also.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I size down one in pretty much every brand and then taper the sides to get a nice, slim fit.

Sweaters I get are usually form J Crew, Club Monaco, Zara, Target.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BB has very nice slim-fit cashmere cardigans and V-necks under the Black Fleece label currently 50% off.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For cheaper cashmere (i.e., made in China), I've found that Ted Baker's sweaters are cut with a very nice, slim silhouette.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Malo

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Malo
How is there stuff nowadays? I know the company was sold and the old owners are now in charge of Ballantyne, but has Malo kept putting out great stuff? I never see it around here, but it was always fantastic.

Robwynge

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses thus far. Interesting that nobody recomends any Italian makers. I would have thought that since most Italian clothes are slimmer, I would get recommendations for Briono, Borrelli and the like.

Hanseat

Reaction score
Gran Sasso has a slim fit line.
EDIT: Forgot about a wonderful slim fitting sweater I have made by Andrea Fenzi.
Great stuff, pricey though...

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H/M has relatively slim fitted sweaters. I just bought a nice merino one for $40. It's decent quality, made in China but not from thier Logg line which is pure crap.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
H/M has relatively slim fitted sweaters. I just bought a nice merino one for $40. It's decent quality, made in China but not from thier Logg line which is pure crap.
I have three of these (I suppose it's the same though I live in Europe) and unfortunaely I have to disagree. One wasn't sewn well, and all of them start to peel rather quickly. I can second the comment on the fit.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Sand
I have three of these (I suppose it's the same though I live in Europe) and unfortunaely I have to disagree. One wasn't sewn well, and all of them start to peel rather quickly. I can second the comment on the fit.

On mine the tag says 'divided' and it also just says 100% wool, 'machine washable in wool' whatever that means. I assumed it was merino but maybe not...Ive only had it a couple of weeks so maybe it will fall apart quickly.

The fit, especially the arms, is very slim though.

agrant

Reaction score
Prada make some of the most elegant simple slim-fit cashmere v-necks however they can be delicate.
Also La Perla Uomo (via Manzoni - Milano) if you can find them outside of Milan make wonderfully good quality sweaters. I have a couple i wear all the time and they still look good after 18months.
Giorgio Armani and D&G to be considered also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads