• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golf

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a general golf thread since there've got to be some people here who play.

And also I'd like to ask you to help me buy a new set of clubs.
Name brand doesn't really matter, I just want a pair that will last me quite a few years. I play weekly in the summer, and in the spring/fall probably 2-3 times a month. Anywho, I'm 5'11" so standard length should be fine.

It doesn't have to be all one set sold together, however I would like my woods to all be matching brand/set, and I'd like my irons to be a matching set as well.

As I said, brand doesn't matter to me, but quality does. I'm looking on the cheaper side (sub 500) but might be able to go 650-750 for a set that I knew would last me 10+ years. Any help is really appreciated!

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's your handicap and usual ballflight?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
What's your handicap and usual ballflight?

I don't keep track of handicap.... I don't know how. I'm very amatuer. I average around an 80-85. I'm not good, but I love playing! My drive is around 270-280.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I don't keep track of handicap.... I don't know how. I'm very amatuer. I average around an 80-85. I'm not good, but I love playing! My drive is around 270-280.

If you're averaging 80-85 for 18 holes and driving 270-280 (and in the fairway), stick with what you've got. It's working.

If you must buy a new set, your options are fairly open. I've used the same set of Tommy Armour 845's (original) for the last 10 years, though I've not played much lately. I have friends who swear by their Ping Eye2, which are quite durable as well.

As for woods, I don't use them anymore. I drive with a 2-iron and it keeps me in play. I used to play a Cobra driver, but for every time I knocked it 300 and in the short grass, I was in the woods four more times, and OOB once. Not worth it.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

You're supposed to play both 9s

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks

laugh.gif

80 is 20 below the average golf score

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
If you're averaging 80-85 for 18 holes and driving 270-280 (and in the fairway), stick with what you've got. It's working.

If you must buy a new set, your options are fairly open. I've used the same set of Tommy Armour 845's (original) for the last 10 years, though I've not played much lately. I have friends who swear by their Ping Eye2, which are quite durable as well.

As for woods, I don't use them anymore. I drive with a 2-iron and it keeps me in play. I used to play a Cobra driver, but for every time I knocked it 300 and in the short grass, I was in the woods four more times, and OOB once. Not worth it.

Originally Posted by HomerJ
What's in your bag now?

Assuming 80-85 is for 18 holes and not 9, you know that is pretty damn good right.

Originally Posted by Mr. Checks

Originally Posted by gdl203
laugh.gif

80 is 20 below the average golf score

Yes yes yes lol 85 is not that bad, I realize this. And yes, it's for all 18 holes. Right now I'm playing with a pair of hand-me-downs from the 70's that I've had when I learned how to play when I was 13. This probably helps explain why I'm wanting to buy new? haha.

I've borrowed a friends Cobra 3-wood, and when I drive with that is when I get 270-280. Driving with my own driver (the 70's one) I avg probably 250. I also need new ones b/c the 70's clubs are starting to crack (*the woods are wood... like actual WOOD lol) and they're starting to crack where it meets the shaft.

80-85 is when I'm peak. Like towards the end of summer after I've played 1-2 times a week all summer. Normally in the beginning of the season I start about 100-105, after a month or so I'm down to 95, and so forth. I wish I could live in TN, SC, FL, somewhere where I could play year round, cause I think I could really be a pretty good golfer.

Anyway, I'll check Ping Eye2 and the Tommy Armours. Thanks guys.

athletics

Reaction score
I believe golf clubs are also a matter of style so let me compare them to cars:

Callaway - Ford/Chevy
TaylorMade - Toyota
Titleist - Mercedes Benz
Macgregor - Jaguar
Ping - Honda
Mizuno - BMW
Bridgestone - Lexus

I am sure there are some others I am forgetting, but beware of the Tommy Amour because they are the Hyundai of golf clubs. Solid, but they won't last.

Consider it an investment and get fitted. If you are going to play a lot, get something that fits your style.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're shooting in the low 80's, go get fitted for clubs. It's rather analagous to clothes: would you buy a $300 pair of shoes that are 2 sizes too big? Of course not. The game is hard enough as it is, do not make it harder by compensating for ill-fitting clubs. A lot of stores will fit you for free if you buy the clubs from them. Or find a manufacturer's local demo day, where you can try their entire line.

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
regardelss of your height or whatever, get to a golf shop and get the clubs fitted for you. will make a world of difference.

depending on what golf store you goto, and even most club houses that sell clubs will "rent" or let you "borrow" a drive or fairway wood or putter, to test it out. unfortunately the only way to get clubs is in house testing.

talk to a pro at your club he will tell you all you need to know and what to look for. BUT by now you are probably a little too late for lessons, and every teacher wants the perfect stroke. if you are just golfing for fun and in the low 80's you are doing very well, and waht you do is working for you. just fine tune the short game and you will be golden.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Buy used clubs. Anything 5-10 years old will be fine. I just got 8 year old Callaway Big Bertha irons with graphite shafts and I'm pleased. They're considered "game improvement" irons but they're suitable for an intermediate player (more forgiving sweet spot). I think Ping i3 irons are similar.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Also, get new grips installed once you buy the used clubs.

There's no need to get a "custom fitting" until you're hitting all your shots consistently. Golf shops make a killing selling "custom" clubs to weekend hackers.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Also, get new grips installed once you buy the used clubs.

There's no need to get a "custom fitting" until you're hitting all your shots consistently. Golf shops make a killing selling "custom" clubs to weekend hackers.

No offense, but this is entirely false. I agree that a guy shooting 110 isn't going see much of a difference no matter what he's playing. Somebody shooting 80-85 (who obviously isn't hitting all of their shots consistently) like the OP will see an improvement when fitted for lie angle, shaft flex in irons and wedges (which would also benefit from correctly spaced lofts and appropriate bounce angles), and shaft bend profile, flex, loft in the driver. At the very least, their drives will be longer and more accurate on average. Being closer to the green and in the fairway more often on average will, obviously, make it easier to score.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads