• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

APC or Nudie

CueisCrack1

Reaction score
Hey i want to get a pair of nice raw/selvedge denim, and im thinking between Nudie or APC. Price wise there around the same, i;ve seen both around 100-120. I am interested in the nudie Thin Finns or the APC new standard. The thing is in NYC, Nudie is kinda like the new hype ishh...and the back pockets stand out so much. But im thinking is that a bad thing or a good thing. While APC is a little more underground, and plain but still nice looking. Also i was wondergin if any one know if thin finns stretch out at all. So people give me some input. Nudie thin finns or APC new Standard??

CafeRacer

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the nudie jeans in the 100 - 150 price range aren't selvedge.

insane

Reaction score
Thin finns are a whole different cut compared to the new standards, and are non-selvage. If the backpockets on the finns are an issue, you could simply un-stitch them. The finns are a more contemporary cut, while the new standards are more classic. I'd say go for the NS, for better quality imo.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
The sell the dry indigo thin finn with self colored back stitching so it's near invisible, if you dont like the orange pockets.

And Finn isnt selvedge...but I did find some jeans by Hope (swedish brand) that have the exact cut as the Finn but made from redline selvedge.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These guys answered all the questions except your last one:

Yes, Thin Finns will stretch but keep in mind the denim itself is made with 2% (?) stretch material as well. I only have the TF's in Dry Black Coated and I sized down from a 32 to a 31 on the waist. The waist hasn't stretched much but the crotch has because I wear them very low.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Personally I would go with whichever brand fits better. I know that's not a great answer but I think fit will trump any of the other concerns regarding back pocket stitching, etc.

Originally Posted by CafeRacer
I was under the impression that the nudie jeans in the 100 - 150 price range aren't selvedge.

This has been my experience as well, unless you find them on sale. My Nudie AJDS were $185, marked down from $275 (Xmas sale). Still, this is $40-50 more than APC NS or Rescues.

Currently I own two pair of Nudies (GTDO, AJDS). I don't own any APC jeans but I hope to rectify that issue this weekend when I drop by Denimbar's Arlington store --- if I find a pair of NS or Rescues that fit, I'm taking them home.

Regarding stretch, I have found that my Nudie AJDS have stretched very little, while my GTDO have stretched considerably, especially in the waist area. This may be because my AJDS aren't as form-fitting, mind you. From this limited sample I am thinking that the Dry Dirt Organic denim on my GTs stretch more than the Dry Selvege denim on my AJs, for whatever reason.

Stretch is important ... read the official APC thread and you'll see. Most posters in that thread recommend sizing down at least two for APCs, if not more. It seems that APCs will stretch more than most brands.

CueisCrack1

Reaction score
one thing that confuses me with the thin finns is that i have seen them kinda loose but then i have seen them SKIN TIGHT. im not down with the OD skin tight jeans, im more of a nice skinny/slim jean guy. Thats why i like the new standards vs. the new cures. Also I've heard about problems with the crotches on nudie jeans? i hear they rip truth behind this??

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CueisCrack1
one thing that confuses me with the thin finns is that i have seen them kinda loose but then i have seen them SKIN TIGHT. im not down with the OD skin tight jeans, im more of a nice skinny/slim jean guy. Thats why i like the new standards vs. the new cures. Also I've heard about problems with the crotches on nudie jeans? i hear they rip truth behind this??

Thin Finns are made to fit tight. If you don't like them super tight then size up 1 and it will be a little roomier in the upper-legs especially. With that said, Thin Finns are not Nudie's tightest cut either.... take a look at the super-slim kim! Now that is balls-tight!

Nudie crotches have been known to rip but it depends on what you do with them. I have three pairs and haven't had a rip yet but I'm sure someone who would wear them for a very physical job like construction, or a hobby like skateboarding would probably blow them out faster.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
If you just want slim but not skinny, get the thin finns true to size. If you want a skinny yet not legging tight look, size down 1.

New Cures aren't skin tight either if you size them correctly. A lot of people get new cures sized down 1 instead of 2 and get a great slim/skinny but not skin tight look. Even true to size if you want it slouchier.

Nudie quality isn't amazing or anything. The crotch ripping has occured with all jean brands though from my experience on the boards (nudies, apcs, japanese jeans). It has a lot to do that people are buying very slim cuts and sometimes sizing down on them putting a lot of pressure on the jeans. Also, some people wear the hell out of their jeans, skateboarding in them and such.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Currently I own two pair of Nudies (GTDO, AJDS). I don't own any APC jeans but I hope to rectify that issue this weekend when I drop by Denimbar's Arlington store --- if I find a pair of NS or Rescues that fit, I'm taking them home.

hey, im pretty sure they only carry APCs at the Bethesda denimbar store. You might want to call and check to see whats up. Good luck.

kakemono

Reaction score
thought i would mention that denimbar is having a ridiculus sale right now... giving you a LOT more options in the 100-150 range.

<free plug>

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm the only person in nyc i have seen wearing nudies.

falsestart

Reaction score
I think they are a tad hypish here in nyc but I wouldn't let that get in the way........... I have nudies and apc and I think hands down the apc is a better jean. that being said fit is everything so i would agree with the other poster that you should get the pair that fits best-

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics