• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else joining a gym this January? Talk to me.

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Perfect example:

I was warming up yesterday at around 9:10 at night (hardly primetime hours). And I was right next to a multipurpose machine that has parallel bars running overhead which are perfect for warming up; 1.5 minutes of time at the most. I was right about to jump onto the bars when one of the personal trainers with a client walks up to me and asks me if I'm using the machine, and I said yes.

He gave me the dirtiest look ever and asked me when I was going to finish and I said, in about 2-3 minutes. He said ok, but gave me yet another horrible look. WTF? I mean I wasn't screwing about, and I was finished in about 2 minutes. And while I understand he wanted to use the machine with his client, I as well had to wait 20 minutes for a machine, but I didn't ***** about it.

Jon.

Thats up there with a dipshit PT "critiqueing" my squat form for 5 minutes, while waiting for the rack with his client, while I was doing good mornings.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he was serious, that's sad. Did you inform him of his mistake?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
LOL, that reminds me, I see horrendous techniques all the time, we all do, but we never say anything. We just joke about it and laugh behind their backs. (we have a running competition of who can divulge the most completely wrong advice in one sentance) The worst one where I almost told him something was a guy doing good mornings with heavy weight. His lumbar spine was completely fixed upright but he curved his upper back over into this horrible hunch so he was looking upside down at his own stomach... I couldn't even bare to look at him, he looked like he was about to paralyze himself. I can describe it but I really wish I had video, it was just so painful to see.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I hope that isn't the case, my gym already charges $175/month + a $1500 initiation fee, I'd hate to think what the dues might be otherwise... My gym has a partnership with the Microsoft campus nearby which has a population of 40-50k people. Everybody who works there has a gym membership. This is one of the biggest gyms in the world, but if all those nerds decided they wanted to come work out at once, no building would hold them.

$175 a month? With $1500 initiation fee? That's crazy. Even the most expensive sports club in oh, so faux, neuve riche Boca Raton costs, max $160 a month (full cedar locker, full use of spa service, and every club amenity) with a $350 initiation fee.

And no I don't belong to that club, I pay far less per month.

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL, that reminds me, I see horrendous techniques all the time, we all do, but we never say anything. We just joke about it and laugh behind their backs. (we have a running competition of who can divulge the most completely wrong advice in one sentance) The worst one where I almost told him something was a guy doing good mornings with heavy weight. His lumbar spine was completely fixed upright but he curved his upper back over into this horrible hunch so he was looking upside down at his own stomach... I couldn't even bare to look at him, he looked like he was about to paralyze himself. I can describe it but I really wish I had video, it was just so painful to see.

Whilst I completely understand talking behind their backs, wouldn't it have been both prudent and proper, since you work at the gym, to let them know what they are doing incorrectly? Perhaps you could avoid an injury?

Jon.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
I was actually checking out Washington Sports Club here in Georgetown - and the whole month of January is completely free for any guests - hearing that news that was the greatest moment of my year. I've been going every day just to milk it. I'm going to do their Rock the Scales program and get ripped for 08. http://www.rockthescales.com/ They offer meal and exercise programs that sound quite good.

Its a nice facility and all, but I would really love if it had an outdoor pool like the one I visited in Philly on 5th street. Anyone that lives there a member? DC needs an outdoor pool!

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Whilst I completely understand talking behind their backs, wouldn't it have been both prudent and proper, since you work at the gym, to let them know what they are doing incorrectly? Perhaps you could avoid an injury?

Jon.

It's never worth it- almost every time, they look at you like "whatever, asshole, I've been doing this for years, so we give up.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
It's never worth it- almost every time, they look at you like "whatever, asshole, I've been doing this for years, so we give up.

How do PT's work? They get paid per visit?

If I'm workin out with you and after a month of working out with you say every 2-3 days, I see no improvements, do I get some kinda refund?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
How do PT's work? They get paid per visit?

If I'm workin out with you and after a month of working out with you say every 2-3 days, I see no improvements, do I get some kinda refund?

Per session. If there's zero improvement in strength or fat loss after 1 month, somebody is doing something wrong. But honestly, I've never had anybody fail to get much stronger or lose lots of weight.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
This year I've decided I will actually set and meet goals I set for myself physically. I'm not one to take notes, write things down or plan things out - but thats pretty important if you're looking for significant results. I'm trying to check out gym programs and plans to kinda integrate into a system that will make sure I'm ripped by 09.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gotcha. Personally I would at least hear what the PT had to say, I mean they are the experts, and there is a chance I could be wrong.

I get one free PT session with my membership and I have yet to use it, but I've been improving and I've only been going to this gym for 2 weeks, although I've been working out like no tomorrow. My biggest problem is actually gaining weight, I seem to hover around 130 lbs, and move at the most 5 lbs down, not up. I have tired eating a bit more, but my stomach is small (I have photos to prove it
laugh.gif
).

Jon.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a handful of sessions with PT but gave up on them. They pushed me way too hard and I was in a state of pain and physical exhaustion for days, not to mention that I was close to throwing up in the sessions themselves.

It seems that PT are often pretty casual about the fact that some people (a) are not 20 years old anymore, and (b) have lives and demanding jobs outside the gym and cannot afford to be in a state of perpetual exhaustion.

Maybe they want to make sure their clients get maximum results so as to justify the PT expense, but it just didn't work for me.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I had a handful of sessions with PT but gave up on them. They pushed me way too hard and I was in a state of pain and physical exhaustion for days, not to mention that I was close to throwing up in the sessions themselves.

It seems that PT are often pretty casual about the fact that some people (a) are not 20 years old anymore, and (b) have lives and demanding jobs outside the gym and cannot afford to be in a state of perpetual exhaustion.

Maybe they want to make sure their clients get maximum results so as to justify the PT expense, but it just didn't work for me.

I want more than anything else to get a good feel of technique and how to properly do exercises (in case I've been doing them the wrong way). How often I go and what I eat is going to be determined only by me.

Jon.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

Greg, you need to meet the few forum-ers, all seemingly very fit, who swear by throwing up the hallmark/milestone of a great workout.
laugh.gif

Anyway, sounds like you just need better personal trainers. Scaling down programs (if necessary) shouldn't be a problem, for that usually means more monies for the PT.
devil.gif

I want more than anything else to get a good feel of technique and how to properly do exercises (in case I've been doing them the wrong way). How often I go and what I eat is going to be determined only by me.

Jon.

There's much more to it than just proper forms: learn new routines(if your goals change or when it's time to switch), workout variations (weights/reps, concentric/eccentric, pre-exhaust...), pre- and post- stretching to name a few. What you regard as your own business are important too, for they can make or break even the best programs.

And I'm not even a PT or have used one for years. Just wait for Eason's response.
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads