• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

c3cubed

Reaction score
Yes - AC has of late done a rather serious turnaround the past couple of years. Things were hellish during the takeover of Canadian Airlines and it was quite mediocre during the rough transition. Like many other airlines, they teetered on the brink of bankruptcy for a year or so. Are now collecting "Awards" for service and meals etc. Much more relaxed and most of the tension of the past is now gone. They'd better maintain this to justify charging up to $12K for a return ticket Toronto-Paris or Tokyo.

The Lounge in the new Toronto Terminal is well designed too, with a private path for international passengers through the customs/security portal so one doesn't have to line up with the herd.

I only speak of this from the "front of the plane" however - have absolutely no idea what goes on behind the curtain although some folks have said its better there too. Probably one of the few remaining airlines that still provides a full meal service in all classes.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c3cubed
Probably one of the few remaining airlines that still serve full meal service in all classes.

Not unless you're on a transatlantic, or longer, flight.

c3cubed

Reaction score
Emirates have a virtual "mini-suite" with a sliding privacy door in First Class and has a mini-bar fridge even (!) - not sure what config they have in business or if it's the same as Air Canada but I'll take your word for it. I know they're pushing the new look in print adverts and on their website now. It was quite a pleasant surprise.

The only complaints that come from the design is from the service staff, who cannot serve two passengers at once, rather, they must navigate two aisles to service a passenger that would normally have been seated beside you.

"Air Canada is doing this as well? I remember Emirates had a sort of spherical pod. Air Canada traditionally has been really bad in 1st and business. I'm surprised to hear they're better now."

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
IME, Air France does, also in steerage.
You are quite correct - even shorthaul 45 minute flights on the "puddlejumpers" - Air France has a light meal/snack service - unneccessary but a nice surprise, and very inexpensive - no wonder Europeans can bounce back and forth between countries for quick lunches and meetings every day of the week, and summarize with a pleasant apres ski Cognac by the fire [on the weekend in Gstaad] Vive L' Air France

Not fair from the view over here, but what else is new... One can buy a sublime 500 year old Chateau with a hundred bucolic acres a half hour outside of Paris for a couple million Euro and what does that get you here? Oh, perhaps a postage stamp sized lot and one bedroom "heritage home" bungalow on Lake Ontario.

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Not unless you're on a transatlantic, or longer, flight.
Really? AC does not serve meals in economy during long haul (like Toronto to Vancouver) anymore? I'm not referring to "Jazz" or discount whatever - I mean the regular airline...

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Air Canada's business-class product is improving, especially on their new 777 aircraft-
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1237604/M/

Also Singapore Airlines' new A380 first class suites-
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1282284/M/

JB

That cabin in the new Singapore is wow. Looks like something on the Orient Express. One could only enjoy it fully by doing a long flight though. You'd spend so much time playing with all the bells and whistles.
Does it come complete with private bath and shower?
C3

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c3cubed
Really? AC does not serve meals in economy during long haul (like Toronto to Vancouver) anymore? I'm not referring to "Jazz" or discount whatever - I mean the regular airline...

If you pay the much higher Latitude fare (usually 3-4x the discounted Tango fares), you get a crappy sandwich or salad on flights longer than 2 hrs. So the answer is basically no. You also get to buy a blow up pillow and flimsy blanket for $2.

Air Canada did not emerge from bankruptcy and become profitable by magic. Milton has done a good job but he's turned it into a no-frills airline in the North American market. Things are a bit better on International flights where there is competition from bigger players rather than simply WestJet.

Some of the best meals and service I've had were on short 45 min. flights in Brazil from Rio to Sao Paulo. Full hot breakfasts, booze... the works! You didn't even have time to eat that the plane was landing. No wonder they went out of business...

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it come complete with private bath and shower?
No but Virgin Atlantic has said they may want to do this with their A380s. Doubt it will happen though.

JB

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
If you pay the much higher Latitude fare (usually 3-4x the discounted Tango fares), you get a crappy sandwich or salad on flights longer than 2 hrs. So the answer is basically no. You also get to buy a blow up pillow and flimsy blanket for $2.

Air Canada did not emerge from bankruptcy and become profitable by magic. Milton has done a good job but he's turned it into a no-frills airline in the North American market. Things are a bit better on International flights where there is competition from bigger players rather than simply WestJet.

Some of the best meals and service I've had were on short 45 min. flights in Brazil from Rio to Sao Paulo. Full hot breakfasts, booze... the works! You didn't even have time to eat that the plane was landing. No wonder they went out of business...

Mexicana seems to offer this type of service too in standard fare. (I think that's all there is) Hot towels too.

c3cubed

Reaction score
No but Virgin Atlantic has said they may want to do this with their A380s. Doubt it will happen though.

JB

I do recall a curious press release from Virgin/Branson going on about a Hot Tub and massage etc. Haven't heard any more about that.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't imagine it would work out in the end, probably one of Branson's ideas that never comes to surface. Stuff like that takes up too much room on an airplane that could easily be made into seats for paying passengers.
Not to mention, how'd you like to be in a hot tub when you hit turbulence?
tounge.gif

JB

c3cubed

Reaction score
I wouldn't imagine it would work out in the end, probably one of Branson's ideas that never comes to surface. Stuff like that takes up too much room on an airplane that could easily be made into seats for paying passengers.
tounge.gif

JB

Would love it during turbulence. Hope they'd have Japanese style basin drainage on the floor. About the only fun thing about flying is turbulence. It reminds me that there is actually a "surface" the craft is using to stay aloft, rather than a skinny tube filled with mortals 40,000 feet up in empty space with nothing holding it up.
Don't like flying without the requisite 3 or 4 pre-board Bombay Sapphire martinis.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
tounge.gif

That depends, who's with me in the tub?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads