• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
No offense man, but if your relationship is in this dire of straits, you might want to think about ending it. My happy relationship isn't anything like this.

Nah, not in a relationship any more.

But every single one I've ever been in has been like this. I like a relationship to be as exciting as it is the first weeks.

For that to happen you have to be consistently inconsistent, to keep the girl interested. Stagnation is the worst. And I like to be the director of the movie i'm in, IE not allow the girl to call the shots, which is something many are content to do.

I hear about married men all the time not getting the physical relief they're entitled to. Hear about them paying for thousands of dollars of clother or what have you for the girl and getting verbally reamed when they buy a game for their xbox or whatever. That's not for me.

Maybe it's just the women here, I don't know. But every relationship where I didn't wage war like this has ended, with me feeling like a big *****.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 65535
Nah, not in a relationship any more.

But every single one I've ever been in has been like this. I like a relationship to be as exciting as it is the first weeks.

For that to happen you have to be consistently inconsistent, to keep the girl interested. Stagnation is the worst. And I like to be the director of the movie i'm in, IE not allow the girl to call the shots, which is something many are content to do.

I hear about married men all the time not getting the physical relief they're entitled to. Hear about them paying for thousands of dollars of clother or what have you for the girl and getting verbally reamed when they buy a game for their xbox or whatever. That's not for me.

Maybe it's just the women here, I don't know. But every relationship where I didn't wage war like this has ended, with me feeling like a big *****.

Maybe it's just me. I'm only 20 and I've been going out with the same girl for 2 years. Before that I had one gf in H.S. for 4 years.

But still, I hope i'm never in the situation that you described. That sounds like hell. I recognize that love takes work and commitment, but it shouldn't be torture lol

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got an email from JCrew for their final sale with free shipping, plus I had a coupon for 10% off. I go to their website within 5 minutes of getting the email, put 4 items in my basket and go to checkout and they are all already sold out... *shakes fist in the air* Damn you J.Crew, foiled me once again.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Maybe it's just me. I'm only 20 and I've been going out with the same girl for 2 years. Before that I had one gf in H.S. for 4 years.

But still, I hope i'm never in the situation that you described. That sounds like hell. I recognize that love takes work and commitment, but it shouldn't be torture lol

It's not torture, but it's tiring. When things are going good, the girl is super into you and you can give back to her. It's beautiful. And your impaler will be so busy you won't have the energy for anything else... It's great....

Until the next challenge is made. The girl will say something, or do something that you know IN YOUR GUT is not legitimate, and is something you have to react to. It gets tiring because you have to always be on your toes. But you can't just stop fighting terrorism. With a girl, you can;t just let it be.

I guess in their mind, they think 'how can my man protect me if he can't protect himself from me?' Logical I guess, but insecurities worm their way into the girl's head and fester. The challenges she lays down are not malicious. they're often an unconscious manifestation.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
If you don't like every little thing about flying, don't do it. Simple as that
tounge.gif

JB

I avoid it any time it is remotely possible. However, in this day and age, it's hard to book the time off to say, take the QE2 from NYC to the UK, spend two weeks in the UK, then take the QE2 back. That's over a month's time off. So you're stuck flying from time to time. It sucks.

Don't get defensive about it. It is not your fault that, for various reasons, the whole flying experience has moved entirely down-market and become an analogue to taking the bus through the crack alley part of town. It is also not the discerning consumer's fault that he/she notices the dross he/she has to travel with these days and that the whole experience has been shifted to keep the dross quiet, not the discerning consumer.

As I posted earlier, an upscale flying experience just needs to be created and I do think there's a market for it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I used to cut my own hair but cutting the back is too annoying and I like getting touched by 20 something chicks.

There is the mistake so many guys make. Get a male barber. BARBER! Not hair stylist, etc. etc. I go to a very nice place, just for men. I can get my shoes shined, they offer free beer and single malt Scotch, do everything from pedi/mani to massage. The pedi/mani/massage folks are all female but everyone cutting hair is a barber. Never been so happy with my hair cuts.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
There is the mistake so many guys make. Get a male barber. BARBER! Not hair stylist, etc. etc. I go to a very nice place, just for men. I can get my shoes shined, they offer free beer and single malt Scotch, do everything from pedi/mani to massage. The pedi/mani/massage folks are all female but everyone cutting hair is a barber. Never been so happy with my hair cuts.

+1. And while you're there, get the barber to shave you with a straight-edge. Mine does the back of your neck with a straight edge for free, but getting your face shaved with a straight edge is something every man should experience at least once.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I avoid it any time it is remotely possible. However, in this day and age, it's hard to book the time off to say, take the QE2 from NYC to the UK, spend two weeks in the UK, then take the QE2 back. That's over a month's time off. So you're stuck flying from time to time. It sucks.

Don't get defensive about it. It is not your fault that, for various reasons, the whole flying experience has moved entirely down-market and become an analogue to taking the bus through the crack alley part of town. It is also not the discerning consumer's fault that he/she notices the dross he/she has to travel with these days and that the whole experience has been shifted to keep the dross quiet, not the discerning consumer.

As I posted earlier, an upscale flying experience just needs to be created and I do think there's a market for it.

There is an upscale flying experience... go first class with most airlines. A lot of airports now have great lounges and you're served much much faster. It's quite nice. If you're truly upscale, buy a jet. It's out there.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman

In general, all air travel today appears to be converging with a Greyhound bus ride.

I flew home yesterday from London on Virgin Upper Class. They recently re-did the setup at Heathrow and it is really great. There is a special security area only for first class and the entire process from check-in to lounge took less than ten minutes. The lounge is great, the food is excellent and drinks are always free. The decor is a "best-of" classic modern and quite comfortable. It is the best flying experience available today IMO.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I flew home yesterday from London on Virgin Upper Class. They recently re-did the setup at Heathrow and it is really great. There is a special security area only for first class and the entire process from check-in to lounge took less than ten minutes. The lounge is great, the food is excellent and drinks are always free. The decor is a "best-of" classic modern and quite comfortable. It is the best flying experience available today IMO.

Emerates flying out of Dubai and Korean flying out of Chicago give service on business class that I would say is extremly enjoyable.

there are examples of great service out there.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
There is an upscale flying experience... go first class with most airlines. A lot of airports now have great lounges and you're served much much faster. It's quite nice. If you're truly upscale, buy a jet. It's out there.

First, not every flight has first class and many that do dub a better seat as "first class" with no other amenities to add. Second, last time I looked into first class, from the mid-west to Hawaii, they wanted 11k per seat, return. When I travelled for business, as everyone knows, you can collect miles, credits, upgrades, etc. and make first class a reasonable cost. However, 22k for a couple to fly to and fro Hawaii is a bit hard to swallow. My tentative model would be where that flight would have been full of seats ranging from 3-4k to 6-8k vs. 150 seats at $900 return and then 10 at 11k.

And as to buying a jet...that's more than "upscale", that's just plain filthy rich, something I will never be. More power to you if you are though!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

I think what's pissing me off is knowing I'll never be able to afford Virgin Upper Class.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
First, not every flight has first class and many that do dub a better seat as "first class" with no other amenities to add. Second, last time I looked into first class, from the mid-west to Hawaii, they wanted 11k per seat, return. When I travelled for business, as everyone knows, you can collect miles, credits, upgrades, etc. and make first class a reasonable cost. However, 22k for a couple to fly to and fro Hawaii is a bit hard to swallow.

Good points. If you'd been flying to Maui at the same time as me, that extra cash wouldn't have gotten you more than the nicer seat and a free drink. You would still have had to get through an hour-plus security line and then hang out in a shabby gate area of an understaffed airport with insufficient seating and limited amenities. Depending on where you're flying, many parts of the experience can be beyond the control of the particular airline.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads