• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
so i went to get my hair cut today at a small place close to my house. i brought some photos of myself when i had shorter hair, because the hair i have now is a lot longer than what i had before (grown out for 4 months). the lady, who barely speaks english, tells me that my old hair wasn't much shorter. i tell her that's fine, i just want to get it to the length in my photos. she tells me what i want her to do because it's not that much shorter...in a really "i don't want to work" kind of tone. she proceeds to ask me how i want it cut. i say something like "shorter everywhere basically, layer my sides, top, and back..." and she asks me "what do you mean layer?" and i had to get the only other employee there to explain to her. so at this point i'm kinda scared, and annoyed at her tone of voice, but i give people too much trust maybe, and so stayed and let her cut my hair. a few minutes later, she finished and i put my glasses back on and - it's way too short, and the style is completely off, and my hair is even parted at the wrong place. i ask her to fix a few things here and there, and she does it with this look on her face that i just wanna smack, it's like she thinks it's a privilege to sit in her chair or something. i even thank her when i get out of the chair and she doesn't even bother replying, just looks at me and kind of does a half-smile, wtf? not to be racist, but this will be the last time i ever go to a place to get my hair cut by a non-english speaker.
I would have high-tailed it out of there, but if you aren't going bald then just shave it down if it looks bad and take some 4000mg/day of MSM to make your hair grow back more quickly. Oh, and welcome to the new America! I think we found a job Americans won't do... giving **** haircuts...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ringo
What's MSM?

Methylsulfonylmethane ... I've heard of it being used as a supplement for osteoarthritis and one other thing, but only as a pretty sketchy one.

Though I'm sure TC has heard of it or has personal anecdotes of it being useful in other ways, or he wouldn't have mentioned it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't count the number of times that hair cutter people would cut my hair too short. Pretty much every time I went. Ever since I started doing it myself, I haven't had that problem. I've probably saved thousands of dollars too. I apparently rule at it because like 3 different random people on NYE told me I have "great hair" and I believe the word "glorious" was used as well. Go me.

I'm pissed that I'm kind of half-sick, just to where it's uncomfortable but not to where I feel like I should be able to totally blow off life and sleep for a few days, even though that's what I feel like doing. And I'm having serious trouble sleeping as well, which isn't gonna help with getting better. I think tonight it might be time for some of Grandpa's magic cough medicine, courtesy of Dr. James Beam.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Methylsulfonylmethane, pick it up at any vitamin store. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylsulfonylmethane Does well on your joints too, but I prefer hyaluronic acid. It is safe even at mega doses, but don't take my word for it.
i've heard horse shampoo works well too, because their/our hair are similar (sometimes wigs are made out of horsehair). apparently it's sold at many grocery stores, but i've seen it only once in this random gas station in oregon (wash your hair on-the-go, anyone?). on the bottle it read "safe for humans"
laugh.gif
and yea i need to start learning how to cut my own hair. i could probably do it, actually, except i'm afraid i'll muck up the back, since my hair needs to be cut a certain way for my semi-AZN style (stop thinking korean pop singer, mine's much shorter). i'll just have to visit walgreens or something and pick up one of those hair-cutting kits, if anyone has brand recommendations or something i'll definitely take that advice. since the gf broke up with me a few months ago, i'll have to get my mom to do the back of my hair until i'm used to it or something
shog[1].gif
and j, you ever been to the northgate gene juarez academy? my friend just told me about it, apparently it's student cutters, with professional cutter supervision? something cheap like $10, and with the pro supervision i'm thinking that they will actually do a good job.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to cut my own hair but cutting the back is too annoying and I like getting touched by 20 something chicks.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
and j, you ever been to the northgate gene juarez academy? my friend just told me about it, apparently it's student cutters, with professional cutter supervision? something cheap like $10, and with the pro supervision i'm thinking that they will actually do a good job.

Nah, I've considered it but I do a good enough job and it's free, and Northgate sucks. Maybe if I get bored with my hair sometime I'll let one of them go crazy on it.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
The last few times I used the Red Carpet Club -- generally on the East Coast -- I recall them being full to bursting with other passengers, and generally kind of grimy and more downmarket then ever. United used to be one of the only airlines that charged for booze in its clubs, but I imagine most of the American carriers do so nowadays. The Air France club at Dulles was very disappointing as well -- some wrapped Babybel and Cheddar cheese without any crackers, bags of Costco-brand munchies, a fridge of soft drinks and a bottle of Feuillatte champagne. However, it had plenty of room, which was nice. And it did have direct boarding from the lounge.

I think Air France in Paris has dedicated check-in areas for its First Class (not business or elite) passengers in a completely different setting, so that you're whisked into a very luxurious setting from the get-go.

In general, all air travel today appears to be converging with a Greyhound bus ride.

On my current trip, I went through SFO and its Red Carpet Club, but lo & behold, no red carpet of any sorts; I think it must have been named in the '70s.

Frankly enough, the SFO Red Carpet Club sounds rather similar to that Air France business you described--a bit of mid-'90s "designer" leather chairs grouped around small tables, and some convenience store snacks.

The business class cabin didn't even pass out those little toiletry packs this time.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
****** haircut week I guess. After letting it grow for oh...a year or so I finally got frustrated with the way the back was curling. The Hungarian girl meant well but I'm going to the French guy in the city from now on. I'm left with '80s sitcom hair--kind of poofy on the front and sides, shortish in the back.

J and others who cut your own: how long do you have it? Is there any way to fix that curling in the back without just chopping it off?

Other current frustrations: bank fees, packing for my second move in two months, and the combined effects of the dollar and the stock market falling off a cliff.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
In general, all air travel today appears to be converging with a Greyhound bus ride.

If anything, I think you're selling Greyhound short. I took it to NYC a few months ago and the seats were larger and more comfortable than airplane seats, boarding was simple and timely, and lines were almost nonexistent. I mean, it was still Greyhound, which sucks, but it was about 1,000x better than any airline experience I've ever had. No offense to JetBlast, but seriously, air travel is so bad that I actually dug around to see if there was any realistic way to take Amtrak round trip from Philly to LA this Christmas. (There isn't, of course.) Globetrotter, if I had to fly with three children, I think I'd end up going postal on an entire terminal. You and your wife should get a medal.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't like every little thing about flying, don't do it. Simple as that
tounge.gif

JB

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
If you don't like every little thing about flying, don't do it. Simple as that
tounge.gif

JB

So Manton isn't the only SFer who was a Republican speechwriter?

Reaction score
-The bullshit in man-woman relationships.

The constant 'pimpimg' a man has to do to keep the woman interested.

The fact that you can never just love them like you want to, because they'll think you're a *****.

The fact that you have to constantly one-up them in the mind games department

The fact that your manhood is constantly under scrutiny by them.

The fact that society deems we have to accept the lie of love when it's really just a game a man can never win at.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 65535
-The bullshit in man-woman relationships.

The constant 'pimpimg' a man has to do to keep the woman interested.

The fact that you can never just love them like you want to, because they'll think you're a *****.

The fact that you have to constantly one-up them in the mind games department

The fact that your manhood is constantly under scrutiny by them.

The fact that society deems we have to accept the lie of love when it's really just a game a man can never win at.

No offense man, but if your relationship is in this dire of straits, you might want to think about ending it. My happy relationship isn't anything like this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads