• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
The "don't use Topys" thing is to ensure that you send the boots back for frequent re-soling, then eventually need to buy new ones. It doesn't harm the boot. It extends its life greatly, immeasurably.

Agree here.

I've had tophies on my Craftsmans for 3 years now. The 'balance' is fine. before the tophies, I found that the very thin leather soles were hard on my admittedly rather tender feet.

-Moose

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tazmaniac
I only have EGs on the 888 last, 7.5/8 in a D-Fitting.

On the B529 last, I would suggest 8C for a snugger fit and 8D if you prefer your shoes a little looser. If your 888 last pair are slightly snug go for 8C. If they fit comfortably straight out of the box without any snugness go for 8D. Going up to UK/Aus Sz 8 will make the B529 as long as the 888 last.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
great advice sator, I like my boots very snug, so I might go for the 8C. I suspect in the french calf they will adapt to the foot well. I have a pair of JM Weston elastic side boots and it took me quite a while to break them in, but in the end, it's worth it.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
If your 888 last pair are slightly snug go for 8C. If they fit comfortably straight out of the box without any snugness go for 8D. Going up to UK/Aus Sz 8 will make the B529 as long as the 888 last.

Didn't you mean it the other way round?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tazmaniac
Didn't you mean it the other way round?
No. 888 7.5/8 D is snug and this is way you like it: means you should do the same in the B529 last and order 8C. 888 7.5/8 D fit well out of the box, not snug and this is the way you like it: means you should do the same in the B529 last and order 8D. Does that help? We are trying to copy the fit of the 888 last not improve on it.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
understood! I think I will go with the 8C, as I like it snug. My EG's fit very well, though I have never tried a C-fitting, because it is made to order only. I might be able to pull it off though.

tailorrmade

Reaction score
Last time I checked, the prices for all three stores have gone up considerably. Does anyone know what the going rate is for:

1: the comfort craftsman
2: the FSM

Mugnut

Reaction score
Greetings. My first post here at SF.

Any of you RM Williams fans have a preference between the Yard, Gardener, and Gammon as an RM Williams work boot?

Retiring my Blundstones after many years of hard work and think an upgrade to RM Williams is appropriate.

Does fit for the work boots run about the same as the other lines (i.e., 1 size long and a little wide compared to US sizing)?. For reference, I'm a 9D in virtually all stnadard dress shoes, though I do wear a 8.5AU in Blundstone, though I usually wear thicker socks with boots as well . . .

cheers. Glad to have found this wellspring of information.

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of the Craftsman in "honey tan". I guess it's available in this colour through MTO(?). I would like something a bit lighter than regular tan as well as whiskey.

Thanks!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KlezmerBlues
Does anyone have experience of the Craftsman in "honey tan". I guess it's available in this colour through MTO(?). I would like something a bit lighter than regular tan as well as whiskey.

Thanks!

Have not seen that colour anywhere myself.

bootsnbraces

Reaction score
A few months ago, I ordered RMW Yard Boots for my wife, and a pair of MTO ankle boots for myself, from Steve. They took a bit longer than expected (I'd wanted the Yards shipped immediately, as they should have been in stock at the factory) but they did finally come, and the Yard boots were perfect; but my MTO boots had the composition sole rather than the heavy-duty treaded sole that I'd ordered (and that Steve had confirmed was an option). Naturally, I emailed Steve and told him of the error. Nine days later, I got the rather brusque reply "send them back"; which I did, at fairly considerable expense. Ten days after the boots were in Steve's hands, he told me that RMW had just advised him that the sole option he had confirmed for me was actually not available, and asked for my instructions. I told him to give me my money back, including the shipping to and from Australia. He responded that MTO boots are normally non-refundable, but that in this situation (obviously meaning where the problem was his responsibility) he'd offer a refund of the price of the boots. I countered that the whole thing was his fault, and that I wanted every bloody cent back: and that has been the end of the discussion. I've since had to apply to my credit-card company for a full refund (and I'm sure Steve is fighting that tooth-and-nail). It seems clear that when all is going well, Steve is a cheery good-ol'-bloke, but that when it looks like he's going to have to go out-of-pocket to make something good he becomes a cheap jerk. Don't take the chance of getting screwed: buy somewhere else. In my case, I'm getting two pairs of bespoke whole-cut Chelseas from a local bootmaker.

Mugnut

Reaction score
Still looking for sizing recs on RM Williams work boots (i.e., Gardener, Gammon, and Yard). As this thread seems ot be the definintive thread on the web, someone must know.

I'm typically a 9D in AE. Anyone know the fit comparison from Blundstone to RMW? My thrashed Blunnies are 8.5 - with green superfeet insoles fit is a hair loose with thin socks, and a little too tight with hiking (ragg wool) socks, viz., 8.5 Blunnies with green superfeet and med. weight socks is just right.

Probably will settle on the Gardener b/c resolability of stiched sole vs. the Yard's stitched, glued and screwed (though that is a pretty cool sole . . . )

And want a pair of craftsman too but are totally ambiguous on chisel vs. turnout and comfort vs. leather . . . will have to go to the NYC store someday to make that decision.

Thanks.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mugnut
Still looking for sizing recs on RM Williams work boots (i.e., Gardener, Gammon, and Yard). As this thread seems ot be the definintive thread on the web, someone must know.

I'm typically a 9D in AE. Anyone know the fit comparison from Blundstone to RMW? My thrashed Blunnies are 8.5 - with green superfeet insoles fit is a hair loose with thin socks, and a little too tight with hiking (ragg wool) socks, viz., 8.5 Blunnies with green superfeet and med. weight socks is just right.

Probably will settle on the Gardener b/c resolability of stiched sole vs. the Yard's stitched, glued and screwed (though that is a pretty cool sole . . . )

And want a pair of craftsman too but are totally ambiguous on chisel vs. turnout and comfort vs. leather . . . will have to go to the NYC store someday to make that decision.

Thanks.

I don't know how many here have chosen one of their workboots instead of the dress boots; when it comes to workboots it seems that people here would rather buy White's, Alden Indy or something like that instead of an RMW.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
After reading this whole thread last week I made an investment at the weekend
smile.gif

I went for the usual suspect of Craftsman Yearling in Brown (I think the leather soles make them very sleek to wear with a suit) but I wanted a pair of tougher casual boots (plus it's raining here all the time at the moment and I wanted some rubber soles) and after looking at the Yard boot and the Gardener, I went with the Gammon in brown. They are tough-looking boots, a shade lighter than the Craftsman and made from Vesta leather which is not as greasy-looking as the oiled stuff on the other two.

I also experimented with sizes and ended up happy with a 10.5G in the Craftsman and a 10H in the Gammon. For some reason, they both looked and felt right in those sizes (the longer, slimmer profile makes the Craftsman look more sleek with more formal dress).

In terms of comfort, both pairs feel like I have owned them all my life. Really good value boots, I would encourage anyone who is deliberating to go and try some on!

I'm just away on a trip for a few days but if anyone wants to see some pics I can post some later in the week.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Well, even though no-one asked for them.....
smile.gif

I ended up returning the Gammon as they were too wide. I swapped them for the Yard boot as I preferred the fit when I really tried them both on. So I had two pairs and was happy. Then on my travels I saw a pair of special order Yearling boots. I like the shape of the Yearling but not the block heels but these have the flat heel, and they are in Whiskey, which I love.

The last pic shows the different shapes of the toes - the chisel toe of the Craftsman, the "Narrow" toe (as they call it) of the Yearling, and the round toe of the Yard boots. I must say the narrow toe on the Yearling with the leather sole makes them very sleek. I love them!

Yard boot

RM-Yard.jpg

Yearling Craftsman

RM-Craftsman.jpg

Yearling MTO

RM-Whiskey.jpg

All three together for comparison

RM-three.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads