• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vienna Holtzgenagelt

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
It was the special order of our friend the.chikor

To be honest, I was involved in these two gentlemens decision to give Maftei a try. Btw, I'm still waiting on smoothjazzone' report on his bespoke orders. He announced them in the LL. Materna, Balint and Maftei.

But the true story is, that I told the.chikor and tudor, that they should get in touch with Maftei personally, what they did. And Maftei did the job, not me.

I'll see, what I can do. Better be patient now
smile.gif
, and receive a comfortable surprise.

According to the never ending colour discussions.

I have to say that my first pairs were also in black, and then I started to explore brown and red tones.

the.chikor, do not take luk-cha' advise as an offense. He is a good guy, he was just thinking...
smile.gif

Fritzl- thank you for clarifying the special order on the heel-as you know Maftei ordinarily makes the standard leather heel or whatever else their customer prefers. As you said, they are very ambitious, and talented, if I might add. I asked for the rubber heel on this pair and the next two.
smile.gif

I think we had the discussion on the colors while at am Hof. I liked your approach of starting with black and building a base, then branching out into various colors. Of course I take no offense to luk-cha', as he is just giving his opinion.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW my first bespoke shoes where black too i think it is important to have the first pair in black as this should be most peoples first shoe imo.

after that then maybe a burgundy and the a dark brown. i personally think 3 pairs of bespoke black shoes should be enough (well for me at least) a full brogue, a cap toe (perf or non perf) and the a whole cut or a plain toe oxford, once these are cover so should be most situations.

moreover, like you said if you working enviroment dictates you dress code then it perhaps leave a little less room for choice.

there was ment to be any offence in regard to the full plastic heel i just dont like them on city shoes and are more suited to casual/ counrty shoes but this is your own choice and again it depend on your own tastes.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It may be of interest, that the web appearance of Maftei will be released in German and English under the "old" address within the next days.

www.maftei.at - there is a small icon between center and right corner for switching the language.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what was the price of the first pair of monk strap boots?

Tudor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roland Loden of Germany
Is the pattern of the toe a Scientology symbol?

lol no
smile.gif

it's my own design

could you give me a link to the symbol that my medallion reminded you of?-just out of curiosity
smile.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
nice. reminds me of a santoni last.

"We" have been knighted.
worship.gif

janne melkersson

Reaction score
the.chikor congrats on a beautiful pair of boots! Just want to add some curiosity about pegged footwear. In the "old" days when the method was common the maker did sew the upper and lining leather through the insole. They had to sew it because the didn't had cement that could hold it together. I don't know how Maftei do it but it is sure a great workman ship. This method is used in the bootmaking trade in the US where many makers still are sewing and pegging the waist. Here is a link to how Austin boot maker Lee Miller are doing it http://customcowboybootsandshoesforu...tml?1194381978 Janne Melkersson ps shown in the photo is another method used when sewing the upper leather to the insole i.e. look at the heel area.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by janne melkersson
the.chikor
congrats on a beautiful pair of boots!

Just want to add some curiosity about pegged footwear. In the "old" days when the method was common the maker did sew the upper and lining leather through the insole. They had to sew it because the didn't had cement that could hold it together. I don't know how Maftei do it but it is sure a great workman ship.

Janne Melkersson

Janne,
Thanks for the compliments and the link. I do find the art of shoemaking absolutely facinating! If I knew of this when I was a kid-I would have definately pursued this instead of my current profession! I had a lengthy discussion with Maftei about this technique and the materials used. They assured me that the quality was every bit as good as the sewn welt. They further reassured me that if I was not completely satisfied, at any time they would be happy to put a sewn welted sole on the shoe. The fit is the same to me as the regular sewn welt, so I am extremely happy with my purchase. I have no reservations about ordering another pair with the same pegged style of attachment.
the.chikor
smile.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tudor
my first bespoke at Maftei

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7278/p1000795eo4.jpg
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8665/p1000796jb6.jpg
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/619/p1000797uk5.jpg
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/2884/p1000800fx7.jpg
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3308/p1000803ky0.jpg

Tudor, well i for one am not a double monk fan, but putting that aside and talking about the importat things, the shoes. overall they look nice i like the last shape too! quite contempory looking even more so with you medalion.

is there a seam on the heel? i can not clearly on my monitor, or is it just 2 peices?

enjoy them!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

sebastophoros

Reaction score
Tudor, they are very nice.
Would you complete the gallery by adding a pic fof the sole ?

Tudor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sebastophoros
Tudor, they are very nice.
Would you complete the gallery by adding a pic fof the sole ?

my camera is broke...these pics were taken by a friend....but he sole is standard leather sole type with metal toes. Very similar to the one the.chikor has but mine is sewn welted and without the rubber on the heel. Nevertheless in future shoe galleries I will include pics of the sole aswell.
I should buy a new camera but I atm I prefer to spend the money on other mafteis
lol8[1].gif
inlove.gif

Originally Posted by luk-cha
is there a seam on the heel? i can not clearly on my monitor, or is it just 2 peices?

yes, there is a seam ending at the top with a square shape (my suggestion)

PS
Originally Posted by luk-cha
Tuder
edit please...name incorrect
teacha.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by janne melkersson
Just want to add some curiosity about pegged footwear. In the "old" days when the method was common the maker did sew the upper and lining leather through the insole. They had to sew it because the didn't had cement that could hold it together. I don't know how Maftei do it but it is sure a great workman ship.

I have a "Slatin Pasha" with Goyserer welt and a pegged sole from Maftei. I'll show the details in my upcoming story about my personal shoe history with a focus on Austrian-Hungarian shoe tradition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads